Become a Patron!

Don't use Oil-Based Flavorings (LorAnn's)

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have been seeing a lot of people referencing LorAnns flavorings in the use of making DIY e-liquid. I hope that most people know that these are oil-based flavorings that are not water soluble. This extracts will not be absorbed by the lungs and will slowly coat the lungs in a layer of oil till the person develops a case of lipid phenomena. It really scares me how many people reference using these extracts. These are very dangerous to vape, and they will make you sick if you vape enough. There is no cure for the condition and appropriate precautions should be taken not to order oil based flavorings. Trust me I love the way LorAnns taste but once I learned they all use a vegetable oil base thats where that fantasy died.

That being said almost every flavoring company has at least 1 oil based flavoring, even TPA (Gingerbread sugar cookie). Check your MSDS sheets they are there for a reason, if it says that it isn't water-soluble don't order it. Their are very few exceptions all of which I won't talk about, because I don't want to encourage anyone to use any kind of oil based flavorings in e-liquid. They taste amazing, but don't be fooled it is bad for you.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not all the Loranne flavorings are oil based - only some. (I don't use them, but I've had them in the past, and the ingredients are on the label).

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is just no need to ever use them in my opinion there are plenty of good companies out there that specialize in water based flavorings. Never found loranns offerings to be anything even worth messing with companies like TPA, FA, FW (yes i still use them after their big scandal) and CP. Between those 4 there hasn't been a flavor I have need to go elsewhere for except cherry from onestopDIY.

MistyMe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I personally will not buy more Lorann flavors because I prefer the quality, testing, and clear list of potential vaping risks provided by companies such as Flavor Art.

However, I bought a few dram bottles of water soluble Lorann flavors when I first started mixing and I used them before finding this forum and making the switch. The list of risks on the linked chart are not all inclusive, but it does list those flavors which are water soluble and without some of the other known risk factors. http://bestvaporflavors.com/best-lorann-oils-vaping/

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
That being said almost every flavoring company has at least 1 oil based flavoring, even TPA (Gingerbread sugar cookie).

Are you confusing "oil-based" flavoring with flavoring that includes essential oil as a component?
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/componentlist.aspx?sku_search=600366
TFA's Gingerbread Cookie is not "oil-based" - it includes essential oil, which is a plant-based distillation.

I won't comment on your Lorann's claim, because I don't use those.

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you confusing "oil-based" flavoring with flavoring that includes essential oil as a component?
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/componentlist.aspx?sku_search=600366
TFA's Gingerbread Cookie is not "oil-based" - it includes essential oil, which is a plant-based distillation.

I won't comment on your Lorann's claim, because I don't use those.

True that it is an essential oil, and yes i know the difference. However there are very few essential oils we can process in our lungs. Ginger essential oil, just so happens to be a irritant to the lungs and the skin. There is a lack of research on using essential oils in e-liquids. Setting up an aromatherapy of eucalyptus oil, is very different then directly inhaling the oil. You reach peaks of concentrations that no oil burner even remotely comes close to. why make yourself a lab rat for something that doesn't want to easily absorb into the system.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not all Lorann's flavorings are bad, no more than all of them are not of poor quality. There's a scant handful I use on occasion and use them safely, but Lorann's claim to fame is, after all, manufacturing candy flavoring. Anything we use, we use at our own risk.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First of all, let me say that (so far) I'm not a huge fan of LorAnn's flavorings. I'm not opposed to them in any way, I just have too many other flavor makers that I fully enjoy and IMHO have better flavor than most of what LorAnn's offers. Also, LorAnn's flavorings are not as concentrated as most DIY vapor flavorings. The last LorAnn's flavor I used in a DIY recipe was apple at 18%. It's okay, but FA is MUCH better.

That being said...

PLEASE don't post warnings without checking out the facts - in full - before posting information like this. There is already way too much misinformation and propaganda out there about vaping. I understand you're only trying to help out your fellow enthusiasts in the vaping community, but your post is simply not true. Read the information available on each flavoring you are interested in, then make an informed decision. The water soluble flavors are GRAS for vaping by the DIY vaping community. The oil based ones are not.

Last edited:

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We are ALL lab rats at this point because there are NO flavors, artificial or otherwise, that have been cleared as safe for vaping. Obviously there are some that are better choices than others but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are 'safe'.

Additionally, I believe the OP was referring to lipoid pneumonia which is a lung condition generally attributed to the direct inhalation of oils. This condition is rare but has been seen in professional fire eaters ( who inhale massive amounts of vegetable or mineral oils ) and it is a risk factor for commercial diving operations. Essential oils however are not the same, they are not the lipid oils that that can cause lipoid pneumonia. Pure, distilled essential oils do not contain animal fats, base oils, mineral oils or non volatile vegetable oils known to be associated with this condition.. Many essential oils have in fact, been tested for inhalation safety and although that clearly doesn't include vaping, artificial food flavors can't even make that claim. We assume that they would be safe, especially in low doses but to date, there simply isn't enough evidence to state this as fact.

And yes, there are some essential oils that have the potential to be toxic and for that reason, I don't readily advocate their use but I think it bears mentioning that many of the food flavors we use contain the synthetic versions of the very same chemicals found in essential oils! Most food flavors are also NOT water soluble, that's why they are mixed with PG, alcohol and in some cases, triacetin.

This is not to say that all LorAnn flavorings are oil based as the OP alluded to, in fact, most do not even contain essential oils. I do agree that there are usually better options such as FlavorArt and TFA but there are folks that love some of their offerings. I do wish that they provided more disclosure on their products, refrained from adding coloring and perhaps embraced our cause more openly but like CrazyChef, I would suggest that the OP reconsider making blanket statements such as "they all use a vegetable oil base" which is obviously grossly inaccurate.

I have been vaping massive quantities of essential oils for over a year. I’ve made numerous batches for family and friends. Not one of us has ever had any adverse reactions to any of my blends. They must be properly mixed at the correct quantities and vaped at very low temps. The health effects we have experienced are nothing short of miraculous. EE’s are very capable of being absorbed and assimilated in the lungs and into the blood stream in seconds. I also make vitamin vapes etc. and the blood test results are on par with IV/injection vitamins. I’ve never used oils other than EE’s and never us EE’s that are blended with carrier oils. DO NOT TRY THIS yourself unless you are an expert in EE and know EVERY listed side affect as well as having full knowledge of any additional drugs interactions one might be affected by.

Last edited:

samyworld

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what is mentioned on ecigexpress about lorAnn

A little goes a long way! LorAnn flavors (also known as candy oils) are not diluted in water or oil.

All LorAnn flavors are propylene glycol-based and will not harm your atomizer.”

Doesn’t that mean it’s safe ?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is what is mentioned on ecigexpress about lorAnn

A little goes a long way! LorAnn flavors (also known as candy oils) are not diluted in water or oil.

All LorAnn flavors are propylene glycol-based and will not harm your atomizer.”

Doesn’t that mean it’s safe ?
As was posted in post #4 ->->-> http://bestvaporflavors.com/best-lorann-oils-vaping/
That chart will tell you which are oil based and which are safe for vaping. ECX will only carry the ones we can use since they carry our DIY flavorings. As far as "a little goes a long way," no, I can't agree with that. Most Lorann's flavorings are rather weak and require much more to achieve the desired result, especially when compared to some of the stronger, more concentrated flavors we use, like FlavourArt.

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started DIYing i bought cherry by LoRanne and its red color. I dont use it anymore but i was hella good. It doesn't look like there is oil in it.

Last edited:
I have been vaping massive quantities of essential oils for over a year. I’ve made numerous batches for family and friends. Not one of us has ever had any adverse reactions to any of my blends. They must be properly mixed at the correct quantities and vaped at very low temps. The health effects we have experienced are nothing short of miraculous. EE’s are very capable of being absorbed and assimilated in the lungs and into the blood stream in seconds. I also make vitamin vapes etc. and the blood test results are on par with IV/injection vitamins. I’ve never used oils other than EE’s and never us EE’s that are blended with carrier oils. DO NOT TRY THIS yourself unless you are an expert in EE and know EVERY listed side affect as well as having full knowledge of any additional drugs interactions one might be affected by.
I also use essential oils for years. No adverse reaction noticed yet, I even had use essential frankincense oil once.

Last edited by a moderator:
NGAHaze said:

Additionally, I believe the OP was referring to lipoid pneumonia which is a lung condition generally attributed to the direct inhalation of oils. This condition is rare but has been seen in professional fire eaters ( who inhale massive amounts of vegetable or mineral oils ) and it is a risk factor for commercial diving operations. Essential oils however are not the same, they are not the lipid oils that that can cause lipoid pneumonia. Pure, distilled essential oils do not contain animal fats, base oils, mineral oils or non volatile vegetable oils known to be associated with this condition. Many essential oils have in fact, and that clearly doesn't include vaping, artificial food flavors can't write my essay for me today even make that claim. With the research analysis and further investigations, there are more to think about it. We assume that they would be safe, especially in low doses but to date, there simply isn't enough evidence to state this as fact.

That's true. Besides the lipoid pneumonia, there can be also E‐cig–induced acute eosinophilic pneumonia (AEP) caused by oils. You may also check the case studies by Dr Simon Trotter, Dr Darsana Viswam, and Dr Gareth I. Walters.

VU Sponsors