Become a Patron!

Do vapers 'abuse' their batteries?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people, I am a member of one of the torch/flashlight forums as I wanted an 18650 flashlight. They told me the one to get and it is brighter than anything I have ever seen, and it only cost £10! It was a Convoy S2+ from fast tech.

Now, my main question is a poster over there asked me why do vapers 'abuse' their batteries so much, when you can buy a PSU and run it off of that safer?

I explained I use a regulated mod, and do not go over the rated amps, or even NEAR the rated amps, and thats what the majority of vapers do, they try to be as safe as possible.

So, my main question is do we actually abuse our batteries? And if so, would vapers use a mains operated vape that converts to DC for example?

I don't think we abuse our batteries but they do. So just wanted to hear opinions really.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't think we abuse our batteries, but compared to the what the torch guys do with their batteries I would imagine they do think it's abusive. I doubt many torches would need a 20 amp rated battery.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Battery abuse as you put it would come from noob's using a mech and not ever being trained on how to build coils that would not overtax the battery or from folks in cloud comps taking an "educated" risk and pushing the limits of safety to go for the "Win".

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have flashlight 18650s I would never use in a mod, however I would use my mod batteries in my flashlight if I had to. Completely different animal. Even my cheap vamo runs about 4 amps (no higher than that anyway), not sure on my flashlight but I doubt it's over 2 amps. As long as we're buying good 20amp batteries for our big mods I believe we're all okay. Mechs do abuse crap batteries more than a regulated device, but anyone running a super fire battery in a hybrid mech may deserve the consequences, that may sound mean but I'll keep ordering good batteries from Jon @liionwholesale and I'll be fine. :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not much of a problem with regulated devices but as Uncle sir has stated it can be a problem with mechanical's in the hands of those uneducated about battery safety. Enjoy the day!:cool:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is pretty much what I said over there, its generally only mech mods with new users that actually abuse the batteries, we run them within their rated limits. I just use a 25R in my flashlight, it lasts for about 3 and a half hours on mid before I get low battery flashing, I may get a 3400MAH panasonic for the flashlight though and make a distinction between my flashlight batteries and my Vaping batteries (I use battery number 1, as I have numbered my batteries to know where I get them, exclusively in my torch).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a couple of mad guys over there who are passionate about modding their flashlights, and have made some beasts that do draw up to and above 20 Amps lol, these things can not be used for long due to the heat they generate, but the light from them is probably brighter than the sun lol, the images with them are stupendous.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use those Panasonic 3400 in my vamo, do fine in that with decent battery life, so in a flashlight they should do fine. I've noticed tho button tops do better in my flashlight anyway.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a convoy s2+ flashlight, mid mode is about 800 or so MAH, may be around 750 not too sure, full is 2100MAH. How long do you think the 3400 would last on mid if I get 3 and a half hours from a 25r? If its an extra hour at least, I will get one as I use it on my bike, I have an adapter and it really lights the road up, brighter than the cars I pass lol. (Yes I do dip it and point it to the left so it doesn't dazzle drivers)

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a couple of mad guys over there who are passionate about modding their flashlights, and have made some beasts that do draw up to and above 20 Amps lol, these things can not be used for long due to the heat they generate, but the light from them is probably brighter than the sun lol, the images with them are stupendous.

Have seen some of those. I'm ordering a Nitcore TM16. 4000 lumens using 4 Cree LED's. It takes 4 18650's, can throw a light up to 700 meters, and it's waterproof. Can't wait to go camping with it !

I think I'll mount it on my bicycle and go riding around the campgrounds at 2am.. lol

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw an unwrapped battery not too long ago. When it starts to peel a bit resist the urge to rip the covering off unless you have a wrap for it and a hair dryer. Using unwrapped li po/li ion batterys = abuse.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Relatively, yeah vaping is the most abuse a battery can take. Even staying within the limits but maxing out the battery's discharge capacity would be considered "abuse" by most battery engineers. Same way someone taking their car to the drag strip or track is abuse...it can handle it, but running at the edge of what something can handle will shorten its lifespan. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done as long as you know what you're doing.

That's not even counting the many people who go outside the limits, that's real abuse.

I use a convoy s2+ flashlight, mid mode is about 800 or so MAH, may be around 750 not too sure, full is 2100MAH. How long do you think the 3400 would last on mid if I get 3 and a half hours from a 25r? If its an extra hour at least, I will get one as I use it on my bike, I have an adapter and it really lights the road up, brighter than the cars I pass lol. (Yes I do dip it and point it to the left so it doesn't dazzle drivers)

I assume you mean it's 800mA on mid? mAh and mA are different. Your numbers make sense though, 800mA would last about 3.5 hours with a 25R. The NCR18650B (the panasonic 3400mAh) should last about 4.5-5 hours at that setting.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
We definitely push them at times. Agree with others though that as long as it's done sensibly it's fine.

You're not safe with a regulated device either though. A 75W single cell or 150W dual cell mod is definitely getting up there on amp draw as the cell voltage drops. One would hope the under voltage would kick in if you used a cell that couldn't take the load but it's still possible to vent one in a regulated device.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hybrid top cap mods really dorked things up for newbs didn't it? This thing that we do, "vaping" is relatively new, its evolving and were all still learning.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aye, hybrid topcap + Atlantis = "vaping is bad" news report.

That's why I always harp on about only using OEM cells, good chargers, an ohm meter or regulated device that checks ohms. I also talk very little of Diayetyl andand Acetyl propionylI because I don't want to help hand the media the ammo they need to destroy a hobby that's helped save my life.

Most people here are actually very kind to their cells in my opinion. Many have a good grasp of safety and are well aware they need to look after their batteries. The torch guys are cool but they're sometimes a little..over zealous :)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aye, hybrid topcap + Atlantis = "vaping is bad" news report.

That's why I always harp on about only using OEM cells, good chargers, an ohm meter or regulated device that checks ohms. I also talk very little of Diayetyl andand Acetyl propionylI because I don't want to help hand the media the ammo they need to destroy a hobby that's helped save my life.

Most people here are actually very kind to their cells in my opinion. Many have a good grasp of safety and are well aware they need to look after their batteries. The torch guys are cool but they're sometimes a little..over zealous :)
I plan on getting the sig150, but I will probably never run it over 80 in reality, and that would be pushing it. 50-60 is probably a more normal figure. It is just cheap at the moment so I might as well get it. I also only use OEM cells, nitecore charger, and a regulated device that reads ohms and also have a seperate Ohm reader.

This is the newbie in me-what is a hybrid top cap?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Relatively, yeah vaping is the most abuse a battery can take. Even staying within the limits but maxing out the battery's discharge capacity would be considered "abuse" by most battery engineers. Same way someone taking their car to the drag strip or track is abuse...it can handle it, but running at the edge of what something can handle will shorten its lifespan. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done as long as you know what you're doing.

That's not even counting the many people who go outside the limits, that's real abuse.

I assume you mean it's 800mA on mid? mAh and mA are different. Your numbers make sense though, 800mA would last about 3.5 hours with a 25R. The NCR18650B (the panasonic 3400mAh) should last about 4.5-5 hours at that setting.
Yes, your correct, I did mean MA but am so used to typing MAH I typed that. Cheers for correcting that for me :)

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I plan on getting the sig150, but I will probably never run it over 80 in reality, and that would be pushing it. 50-60 is probably a more normal figure. It is just cheap at the moment so I might as well get it. I also only use OEM cells, nitecore charger, and a regulated device that reads ohms and also have a seperate Ohm reader.

This is the newbie in me-what is a hybrid top cap?

Sounds like you're well prepared, nice one.

A hybrid topcap on a mech has no centre 510 contact, just a hole. The atomiser 510 centre pin directly touches the positive of the battery. Because the thread part of a 510 is negative, you need an atomiser where the centre pin / screw sticks out beyond the threads. If it's flush, only sticks out a tiny amount or is spring loaded the negative threads Royce the positive of the battery and you get a hard short. It also can Happen if people toughen the hybrid cap to much and crush the positive contact on the cell, then the negative threads will touch like before.

The mod will get burning hot and you'd be lucky to get the battery out. Apparently it was done with an Atlantis and a SMPL mod ( or similar).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you're well prepared, nice one.

A hybrid topcap on a mech has no centre 510 contact, just a hole. The atomiser 510 centre pin directly touches the positive of the battery. Because the thread part of a 510 is negative, you need an atomiser where the centre pin / screw sticks out beyond the threads. If it's flush, only sticks out a tiny amount or is spring loaded the negative threads Royce the positive of the battery and you get a hard short. It also can Happen if people toughen the hybrid cap to much and crush the positive contact on the cell, then the negative threads will touch like before.

The mod will get burning hot and you'd be lucky to get the battery out. Apparently it was done with an Atlantis and a SMPL mod ( or similar).

Oooh, Another reason I am scared of mech mods lol. I just know I will do the wrong thing and vent a battery within a week. I don't want that happening in front of my face lol.

Is there a reason people still use mech mods, like it is their preferred way to vape over regulated? It's just regulated seems so much safer, I haven't got to change coil to adjust wattage and such, only thing is some Mechs do look nice I must admit.

VU Sponsors