Become a Patron!

Do fresh coils themselves take time to "prime"?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So my Egrip RBA base came with some premade coils. After I properly install one, I do what's right and saturate the wick with juice before screwing into the device, and then I fill the tank a bit and let it sit for at least a few minutes.

At this point, the wick should be wet enough to avoid dry burns, but for some reason there is very little vapor production for a while, even on 20 watts. No burning taste, just nearly no vapor, and it is like this for almost 30 minutes sometimes.

So do the coils themselves actually take time to be used a bit before they heat up enough for acceptable vapor production?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
While I have squat in the way of experience with the Egrip or the RBA base for it, when I first build a coil, prior to inserting a wick, I do a dry burn with a drop or two of E-Liquid on the coil until it turns red. I do this a couple of times before inserting the wick.

Hope this helps!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While I have squat in the way of experience with the Egrip or the RBA base for it, when I first build a coil, prior to inserting a wick, I do a dry burn with a drop or two of E-Liquid on the coil until it turns red. I do this a couple of times before inserting the wick.

Hope this helps!
^^^^^^ This! Same thing I do, works well for me!

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Might need to take a few pulls on it first prior to firing it. Get that juice flowing up and into the atomizer.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those coils come prewicked if I remember correctly? I build my own, because for some reason those coils always end up being too low for the egrip (makes no sense). So, no, I don't have that issue with my RBA base in the egrip.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Hope this helps!
This is how I do it too.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If those coils aren't prewicked, it may be your wicking. And even if they are, it may still be. Wicks that are too loose or too tight will give you inadequate juice flow, and less vapor. You want the wicks tight enough that they have a slight resistance sliding through the coil, but you can rotate them in the coil easily. Hope this is relevant for your situation.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They were prewicked. I just don't understand why the replacements are either not producing vapor or are tasting burnt because the very first one that came already installed in the base was amazing.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They were prewicked. I just don't understand why the replacements are either not producing vapor or are tasting burnt because the very first one that came already installed in the base was amazing.

Are you able to check them in an ohm reader (which means you would need the 510 base to put them in?). I found I could hardly ever use these coils, because they wouldn't read in my egrip.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if its not making vapor, its a connection issue. If your device is adjustable, screw the post out a bit. If its not adjustable you'll need to "pull the post" you can google this. it means pulling up the positive post on your device so the atomizer meets the battery and makes a sufficient connection.

VU Sponsors