Do flavors go bad or change over time??

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have 2 Vienna Cream bottles from FA both purchased from ECigExpress. The first was purchased approximately 8 months ago and the second just a couple weeks ago. The new bottle seems to smell like acetone, my wife asked if I was mixing a batch with her nail polish remover. The older bottle doesn't have much of a scent at all. There is also quite a difference in color. New bottle is on the left, older one on the right.
20141025_220948_Android_zps09931c43.jpg

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Interesting, I make notes of the colors of the flavorings when I first get them.
Vienna was listed as clear.
Just looked at both bottles and they're yellow now, hmm.
In a cupboard in the dark most of the time.
Don't think the flavors have changed tho, hard to tell.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
some do, some don't, and it all depends on how you keep and use them.
some say 6months to a year, to check all of your flavors..
rule of thumb, when in doubt, toss it.. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mine is in an opaque bottle, purchased near the end of 2013, appears to be clear though. It does have an odd fragrance, not unpleasant, just odd. Tastes and mixes fine. That one of yours on the right looks off to me, but that's based on what mine looks like.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mine is in an opaque bottle, purchased near the end of 2013, appears to be clear though. It does have an odd fragrance, not unpleasant, just odd. Tastes and mixes fine. That one of yours on the right looks off to me, but that's based on what mine looks like.

That's the one odd thing I have going, the newer bottle has the somewhat unpleasant smell to it but the old bottle doesn't. I used the new stuff in some mixes last night, so I'll see what happens.

D

Donald Bickers

ive been into DIY for almost 2 yrs and from my experience with flavors ,,,,,they are not real consistant as far as color goes,,,i think a lot depends on the temp while it is being shipped,,,i live in iowa and have had a few freeze and break in transport,,,,i would say if it don't smell good ,,,,,pitch it,,,flavor extracts aren't that expensive,,,kind of like food if you know what I mean,good luck ,,,,,DIY is the only way to go as far as im concerned.....

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some of my flavor smell clearly like what they are, but not all of them. I had no idea what Vienna was supposed to smell like, anyway. I hope your mixes turn out ok. Keep us posted, Talon.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was concerned when I first got my Vienna that it did smell of acetone! But the second bottle smelled the same (months later), and it doesn't have that taste at all - weird!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just wondering could it of steeped a bit, it's probably in PG base and if its 8mo. old? what color is a bottle of finished product?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Some have said that freshly mixed flavorings also need some time to steep.

But color change is usually associated with nicotine mixing with oxygen.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was concerned when I first got my Vienna that it did smell of acetone! But the second bottle smelled the same (months later), and it doesn't have that taste at all - weird!

I mixed up 7 recipes last night and 3 had Vienna Cream. They all need steeping but after a quick taste I don't taste anything that resembles acetone like it smells. So that's a good thing! Next round I will try the older, darker bottle of vienna cream and see if there is a difference. The older bottle definitely has no acetone smell and actually has more of a creamy smell to it. So maybe flavors need to age?! o_O

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe storing in small glass bottles when you first receive them will help i don't know. Many juices i have bought from vendors have changed considerably over the months , afraid to vape them to be honest.

D

Donald Bickers

I thought he was talking about flavor extracts,not juices,i must have misunderstood

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought he was talking about flavor extracts,not juices,i must have misunderstood

Your right , my mistake , i was just commenting on juices changing as well.

D

Donald Bickers

Kool man,,,,not trying to point out any mistakes,,,,,,,
I just get sooo confused

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Uh after about a year I had some juices that tasted bad, like vinegary. I had to toss em.

D

Donald Bickers

I still have some of my extracts that are over a year and a half old,,,,,haven't had any problems with taste,i don't know what the recommended shelf life is,I just check on them before using,if I don't think they are good ill pitch them,but no problems yet
no more than they cost,if they are bad ,toss em,replace them,your still cheaper than store bought liquids ,and you have much better tasting juice..IMO.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kool man,,,,not trying to point out any mistakes,,,,,,,
I just get sooo confused

I know your not , this stuff is very confusing and unfortunately for me it doesn't seem to get any easier with time.

Uh after about a year I had some juices that tasted bad, like vinegary. I had to toss em.

I think we need to make a new thread about juices going bad , this is a flavoring only thread i think . My fault as i started it.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
they both can go bad..
if you notice any crystals, anything "floating", dump it..

for juice, smell before vaping.. if it is "off" you will know.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as the natural flavor extracts...
The real tobaccos tend to age well and get better as time goes on - even years later.
The teas we extract are pretty new. We are watching them to see if they improve - We really don't know about them yet.
I know that the fresh berry extracts morph into a port like flavor than is good but so different from the fresh that it will not appeal to most - but some people will like it..

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Pay attention to teas and herbals, as they can develop "floaters" and or mold..
if you notice spots, specks, colored bits.. toss it out.

VU Sponsors