Become a Patron!

Do cheap ego batteries automatically cut off if the resistance is too low?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off, I realize what I did with the build I'm about to describe was probably unsafe, and I won't try it again until I get a battery that can handle more watts, so please spare me the full thread of lectures.

I have a Mini Protank 3. I successfully rebuilt the dual coils several times. I finally found the igniter for my propane torch, so I decided to build my first micro coils last night. I found a YouTube video for rebuilding the PT3 and copied the build because the guy mentioned he did this tutorial for low end ego battery users in mind. He used 4.8 volts despite having a fancy mod battery in order to demonstrate his build would work for people like me.
I have an ijoy variable voltage ego by the way...

This guy's build was two micro coils of six wraps with 30 gauge wire.
I went ahead and built that exact thing, but every time I tested it, my battery would just flash indicating a short. I know it was not a shorted head because I tested it with my multimeter and it was fine. I also rebuilt it three times and it still wouldn't fire unless I removed one of the coils.
So my question is, do ego batteries like mine automatically refuse to fire when the resistance is too low?

Once again, I understand very well how unsafe it is to rebuild at low ohms while using a cheap pen battery, so please save your stern comments for somebody who doesn't realize what they're doing is dumb. Thanks

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ego batteries won't fire anything below around 1.5 ohms (or thereabouts). What resistance was your build?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ego batteries won't fire anything below around 1.5 ohms (or thereabouts). What resistance was your build?
I tested the ohms after discovering it wouldn't fire and it was about .9 ohms. But back when I knew no better I would make heads with only three or four wraps on my CE5 and they were about 1.2 ohms and they would fire.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tested the ohms after discovering it wouldn't fire and it was about .9 ohms. But back when I knew no better I would make heads with only three or four wraps on my CE5 and they were about 1.2 ohms and they would fire.

I may be wrong about the 1.4 - but I suspect you've found your problem! (Always a good idea to test the resistance before putting on the mod).

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, sounds like you know how to rebuild if you're rebuilding CE5 coils!!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
No stern comments from me as long as you are vaping and not smoking.

If you can find your vaping bliss with a simple eGo battery and a mini Protank 3 and are learning to rebuild PT coils to save a few $$$ my hats off to you!

And I further applaud you for having the sense to use a multimeter to check your builds.

There are a lot of us out there with much more expensive gear that don't and wonder why things went really wrong.

eGo batteries being what they are and with so, so many different manufacturers, I am thinking that your device may be different than the one the guy on youtube was using.

What I would suggest is that you start by trying single coil builds and see what is the lowest resistance your battery will handle.

Then you can figure out what you need to shoot for build wise with a dual coil mod:D

But I do have to mention one thing, the next time you loose the igniter for your torch, they have these things called "Matches" and "Lighters" that will serve to ignite your torch.;)

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No stern comments from me as long as you are vaping and not smoking.

If you can find your vaping bliss with a simple eGo battery and a mini Protank 3 and are learning to rebuild PT coils to save a few $$$ my hats off to you!

And I further applaud you for having the sense to use a multimeter to check your builds.

There are a lot of us out there with much more expensive gear that don't and wonder why things went really wrong.

eGo batteries being what they are and with so, so many different manufacturers, I am thinking that your device may be different than the one the guy on youtube was using.

What I would suggest is that you start by trying single coil builds and see what is the lowest resistance your battery will handle.

Then you can figure out what you need to shoot for build wise with a dual coil mod:D

But I do have to mention one thing, the next time you loose the igniter for your torch, they have these things called "Matches" and "Lighters" that will serve to ignite your torch.;)
Single coil builds are not really an option for my pt3 because of the height of the head. I tried doing a single for now until my spinner ii arrives in the mail, which I expect to be able to handle a lower resistance, but my pt3 just floods with singles.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, sounds like you know how to rebuild if you're rebuilding CE5 coils!!
Never said I was a pro. I've only been vaping for a few months. But yes I consider myself capable of rebuilding a bit if I've been able to vape this long without ever purchasing new heads.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may be wrong about the 1.4 - but I suspect you've found your problem! (Always a good idea to test the resistance before putting on the mod).
Wow, I never expected this 7 dollar battery to have such a great safety feature as rejecting low ohms! But I guess that's the reason why it wouldn't fire.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, 20$ for a mod! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely get this if my spinner ii doesn't hold up.
Lots of used gear on eBay if you have the patience to wait for the best deals on auctions. You'll have to let some go and wait for a better deal. But sounds like you're making do with what you have instead of grabbing every new thing that comes along. And you are doing your research, so when you do make a purchase, you'll be making an informed choice.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, 20$ for a mod! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely get this if my spinner ii doesn't hold up.
I don't know how long the coupon code lasts, but "YEAHBABY" will knock it down to $17.95. It's a very nice little mod, I've had a silver one for a couple months now, just ordered a black one from the site in the link. Awesome for beginners. And if you invest in a 510 to eGo adapter, you can still use your protank and a few other atomizers, at least until you can get a subtank or something else you like. (The KBox isn't as finicky as my Cloupor)

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lots of used gear on eBay if you have the patience to wait for the best deals on auctions. You'll have to let some go and wait for a better deal. But sounds like you're making do with what you have instead of grabbing every new thing that comes along. And you are doing your research, so when you do make a purchase, you'll be making an informed choice.
I'm not sure if buying a used battery is a great idea. Once I got a pebble smart watch used on ebay. I thought it was a great deal until the battery stopped holding a charge after only two months since the previous owner used it for so long. Do vape batteries not wear out as quick? I'd rather play it safe with new batteries.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All four if my 18650's came from eBay but new, not used. No complaints. Got my charger there too, works great.

VU Sponsors