Become a Patron!

DNA40 - what is this guy on about?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check out this guy's rant: he complains about firmware problems in the DNA40 board, that it was released too soon, that Evolv's beta-testers have overlooked issues... My own - admittedly limited - experience with the DNA40 is that it's rock-solid and works flawlessly. I ain't got a clue what this guy is talking about. Anybody knows?

Since he suspiciously doesn't go into any specifics, I'm tempted to think he's just talking crap. But maybe there's substance behind his rant...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Opinions are fine if they are supported by arguments, but he doesn't give any. If there are problems with the DNA40, I'd be curious to know what they are. Not that it matters all that much mind you, since I've already got one :)

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well it's certainly a long winded rant but many of the DNA 40 chips from the first production run had issues in the temperature mode.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like he's saying the temp control feature of this chip set is poorly implemented, which is the feature everyone was wildly anticipating as the holy grail of safety, but is clunky at best. Other than that, he also says it's great, but so are others. True, he doesn't go in to specifics other than the pre-heat, which he says is more like a burst mode.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I assume the poorly implemented temp control and pre-heat must've been in early boards then, because mine works like a champ. It's exactly what I wanted, and for me, the DNA40 delivers 100%. Maybe I'm lucky - or easily pleased :)

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Brandon over at Evolve even talks about the oopsies they had while talking to Phil BSlardo, many others had issues with the chip. I like this guy, he does some down to earth and legit videos.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone done a methodical review demonstrating the temp control functions yet? I'd like to see someone vape on it and talk about the experience at the same time using a dripper. Wouldn't mind trying one out if it works like it's supposed to.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are a few helpful videos out there on Youtube, showing how it works. But to be honest, I find these videos make it look more complicated than it really is.

Me, I make my single coil with doubled-over legs, insert it in the atty, tighten the screws, answer YES to the NEW COIL? question, wick it with cotton through the coil and underneath it, set 420F for PG-based juice or 480F for 100% VG juice, and I vape. Simple as that.

The only thing that's a little more involved is dry-burning the coil, but that's only because the menu system in the DNA40 doesn't let you turn off temp control quickly and simply. Other than that, it's pretty much setup-and-vape. Just as easy as kanthal, only you can forget about dry hits. Simpler even, since you get the same volume of vapor out of a single nickel coil as with two kanthal coils...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I see temp control as having serious potential. It seemed gimmicky at first, but the idea is growing on me. Success stories seem to be coming in slowly. I'm curious and will continue to keep an eye on how it shakes out.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I want nothing to do with Nickle wire, don't want to vape it, bend it, rate it, coil it, buy it, nothing.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see temp control as having serious potential. It seemed gimmicky at first, but the idea is growing on me. Success stories seem to be coming in slowly. I'm curious and will continue to keep an eye on how it shakes out.

For what it's worth, I've posted a description of what it's like to vape with temperature control "in the real world" - at least, as I use it - in this thread.

I want nothing to do with Nickle wire, don't want to vape it, bend it, rate it, coil it, buy it, nothing.

That's too bad. You're missing out on something. I suggest you don't knock it till you try it: it's definitely worth it.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
no interest whatsoever in the nickle or the temp control.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like he's saying the temp control feature of this chip set is poorly implemented, which is the feature everyone was wildly anticipating as the holy grail of safety, but is clunky at best. Other than that, he also says it's great, but so are others. True, he doesn't go in to specifics other than the pre-heat, which he says is more like a burst mode.
Mine works exactly as advertised! No problems what so ever. Really glad I spent the money on this one. Maybe I was just lucky but I'd buy another in a second.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm getting good results on All my drippers with 28g ni200 and 30g kanthal twisted for stability. Vapes just as good as kanthal. I was all against this till I got it working. My 3rd board still has glitches but it's much less this time around. I've emailed Evolv and hopefully we can get this working 100%. Other then the screen I'm.getting my warm full vape now.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Scrbled screen info and inverted screen like I mirror image. It.goes away after the screen goes to sleep or I fire again sometimes. Only in temp mode above 30 watts

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. Maybe that's why I haven't seen it then: I never vape above 25W. I'll try to trigger it with mine later, to see if my board has the problem too.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scrbled screen info and inverted screen like I mirror image. It.goes away after the screen goes to sleep or I fire again sometimes. Only in temp mode above 30 watts

Okay, I've been vaping for 2 hours at 40W, making sure I didn't hit TP, to stress the DNA40 board as much as possible. I'm so f..ing saturated with nicotine I feel seasick - and it was only 3 mg :) But I didn't get no weird screen issue. So I must have a newer board, in which the issues have been ironed out. Goody goody.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lucky. Mine isn't to bad my first board was horrid!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Silly question perhaps, but did you try your first board with high-intensity batteries? The reason I'm asking is, with batteries that have high internal resistance, when you pull a lot of amps, the voltage drops enough to reset the CPU, or make it do goofy things if the brownout interrupt isn't handled properly. I've had that problem many times when I was an embedded systems designer in another life. Maybe that was the problem with early DNA40 boards.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The issues are resolved. I have a 40 board going into my Wizard Modz "yet to be named" and have tried it out on another platform...NO ISSUES. I will not be using the temp control as I really dont see the point....but beyond that...it appears to be reliable.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, I've been vaping for 2 hours at 40W, making sure I didn't hit TP, to stress the DNA40 board as much as possible. I'm so f..ing saturated with nicotine I feel seasick - and it was only 3 mg :)

Good Man, sacrificed yourself for the cause !! I guess I'll buy one now :)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Fulgoris box from Diablo Mods. DNA40 that will compliment my Governor box.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]I will not be using the temp control as I really dont see the point[...]

Not to be a bore or anything, but you really should give it a shot: once you do see the point, you'll be wondering how you vaped without it. For me, it's the discovery of the year - and I'm not easily impressed. So much so that I'm going to put all my collection of vape stuff for sale very soon, because I don't want to vape nothing else.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not to be a bore or anything, but you really should give it a shot: once you do see the point, you'll be wondering how you vaped without it. For me, it's the discovery of the year - and I'm not easily impressed. So much so that I'm going to put all my collection of vape stuff for sale very soon, because I don't want to vape nothing else.
Oh I will try it out...I just have misgivings about "being told" how to build by my mod. But again, I will give it a go.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mine acts up every once in a while I might RMA for the 4th time

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Robert Ellis is a seasoned and respected reviewer, The review is spot on. The chip is full of bugs. Evolv rushed this chip to market and now are paying the price. Reviews like this are honest and needed to inform future buyers. If I bought 40 of these chips and put them in mods I wouldn't be happy.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The review is devoid of any hard facts. It may be spot on for those in the know, but I'm not one of them. Are you?

As a DNA40 user, it's fucking frustrating to try and figure out what all these bugs you're talking about are and not getting any concrete information, because I'd like to know if I bought a dud product, and how I might expect it to crap out on me. But you don't say what they are anymore than Mister Ellis does.

So far, I know of one thanks to dre1982 - the screen issue - than seems to be resolved as far as I can tell. Care to elaborate what the other bugs are, or will you stay vague and mysterious like Mister Ellis?

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
96a48665c21d1b61697ecd27388ec69d.jpg

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah it works fine and once it goes to sleep it goes away.
Evolv made the dna40 so advance you can see the matrix lol

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or you could say it's a device made and distributed by the Visitors as part of their conspiracy to enslave us with their addictive vapor drug, but the Vs have overlooked some bugs in the firmware which reverts back to the V language every now and then :)

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The review is devoid of any hard facts. It may be spot on for those in the know, but I'm not one of them. Are you?

As a DNA40 user, it's fucking frustrating to try and figure out what all these bugs you're talking about are and not getting any concrete information, because I'd like to know if I bought a dud product, and how I might expect it to crap out on me. But you don't say what they are anymore than Mister Ellis does.

So far, I know of one thanks to dre1982 - the screen issue - than seems to be resolved as far as I can tell. Care to elaborate what the other bugs are, or will you stay vague and mysterious like Mister Ellis?
A simple google (or search engine of your choice) search for dna40 issues could have supplied you with quite a few sources for the complaints about the early versions of the chip. Ellis doesn't go into detail about it assuming that they are widely known by those interested and freely available to those who don't. His rant was directed to why they occurred and and on how they were being handled. I would guess he wasn't interested in convincing someone unaware of the issues that they existed but rather to vent about how it came to pass that they did.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I've perused the monster thread about it on ECF (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sion/612272-official-dna-40-introduction.html). But it's truly gigantic - like you need half a day to read it all at least - and half the posts about issues, notably the board providing inconsistent vape or dropping from TC to V, I'm pretty sure come from flaky coil connections.

As for the rest, yes, now I know. But it would be nice of people who criticize a product to provide at least a link to the evidence. It's not *that* easy to find, even if you actively look for it and you know what you're after. If it's long for me, who's already purchased a DNA40, imagine for a prospective buying who's trying to evaluate quickly if the product is worth getting...

I deduce from all this that I'm one of the lucky few who own a flawless board, and who know how to make solid coil connections...

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My temp control works flawlessly but the screen issues are a pain but this rev.4 board isn't as bad as the others I've had.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And the preheat is a nice feature the dude in the video probably built bad coils its a whole different ball game getting the perfect coil but its a superior vape IMO now that I'm able to build correct.

heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't get why dna40 is so rated highly if the boards still has glitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And the preheat is a nice feature the dude in the video probably built bad coils its a whole different ball game getting the perfect coil but its a superior vape IMO now that I'm able to build correct.

Yeah, I like pre-heat too. Makes the vape snappier. I don't understand why someone would want it off, but to each his own I guess. I agree with the guy: it should be disengageable if the user so desires.

I don't get why dna40 is so rated highly if the boards still has glitches

I think it's the temperature control feature that's highly rated. Once you've tried it, you can't go back to a regular mod. At least that's been my experience so far.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, the battery meter in the DNA 40 is certainly strange: it seems to think anything over 3.8V is 100%, which means you vape and vape all day long, the meter doesn't go down, and then suddenly... it drops in free fall.

But best of all, if you put down the mod for a while, the meter goes back up! Free energy, yeah! :)

Seriously, it's not a bad problem, but I've not seen that sort of stuff in any of my China-made mods. Them Chinese seem to get simple shit like that right.

Combine that with the loose USB socket in my Vaporflask (yes, it's a known problem, most flasks have it, and Vaporflask pretends it's normal - hint guys: it's not), sadly, I question the merits of buying American over Chinese for quality. I can't wait to try out the first true DNA40 clone with temperature control out of China...

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If u take the battery out and but it back it will show the true battery level till you fire again

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ooh wait, I think I've got it figured out: it tries to be clever! If I lower the power to 1W and take a toke, the battery meter goes right back up to full. If I raise the power to 40W and vape again, it goes way down.

So, it's not a battery meter at all, it's a sort of "remaining vaping action" meter. It takes into account the power level, but possibly also the duration of the tokes and pauses in-between tokes. Perhaps it needs to figure out the way you vape to give something meaningful to display. That's why it keeps jumping up and down like that, especially since I change the power often.

Disconcerting device... I wish it'd just show me a simple battery level. I can figure out how much vaping goodness I have left myself. But it works as it should I guess. So it's not a glitch :)

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess I'm just old school. I adjust my wattage to suit my need. Don't need a chip for that unless it can read my blood pressure and adjust my hit accordingly. Lol

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what you do with the DNA40 too: you adjust the power to suit your needs. But you do need a chip to avoid overheating the juice, and to tell you when to recharge the atty (if you drip). You realize that once you've tried temperature control, tasted the vape, and more importantly, seen a cotton wick come out of the atty completely intact after days of heavy vaping.

Bow2King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
man i can't wait still waiting on VS to get mine, ordered about a month ago then they decided to update them and fix everything!!

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh I will try it out...I just have misgivings about "being told" how to build by my mod. But again, I will give it a go.
Your gonna like it! I use mine on everything but the drippers, I still like them on the mechs but that may be just a me thing.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's what you do with the DNA40 too: you adjust the power to suit your needs. But you do need a chip to avoid overheating the juice, and to tell you when to recharge the atty (if you drip). You realize that once you've tried temperature control, tasted the vape, and more importantly, seen a cotton wick come out of the atty completely intact after days of heavy vaping.
I'm just amazed by this thing. Nickel hmmph who knew.

VU Sponsors