Become a Patron!

DNA max input voltage

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I've been looking at lipo batteries for Fasttech's dna. The max input for DNAs are 4.3. Most lipos appear to range from 7v to 11v. So these are a no go? Otherwise use a few 3.7 in parallel (as I haven't yet found a very high mah e.g. 4000 - 6000) at a low voltage). If so I'll just use them for mechs.

Also the li-ions we generally use are rated at 3.7v. My understanding has always been that this is it's middle range i.e. 4.2 and cutting out at 3.2. So if this is the case, is it the same with a lipo - like an 11v would really charge to and start it's power at perhaps 13v?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok :) so maybe I'll pass a 6000mah 7.4v through a step down regulator connected to the dna

Generally, the 7.4v LiPo's are a pair of batts wired in series. You may potentially be able to re-wire them in parallel...it depends on how they're wired/wrapped/packaged.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a thought. Thanks. I've seen some quite decent high mah lipos which are affordable. I'll buy one to see how easy it is to unwrap

alee132

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
alee123 Thanks for that. I hadn't found them at 3.7v on the uk website but I've spoken to one of their reps and they said they usually have plenty of stock in their uk warehouse. High c ratings too!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people say that they take them out of their hard cases to reduce their size. Would anyone recommend against that? I only really hear of people doing that in the vape world not in the rc world

alee132

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Idk I think its safe. Think about it. As long as you don't have anything in your box that is going to puncture the lipo or your box is so soft that if you drop it something might puncture through it. I doubt it would be an issue. I personally take them out of the box and I know alot of other people do as well. Infact I was able to take the turnigy ultimate nano-tech 6400 mah 3.7 1s2p battery out of the pack and de soldered the wires and terminals off of it, took the foam out from under the tabs and folded them down. Wired them up to my sx350 chip with a 3d printed bap lid and fit the battery perfectly into a hammond 1590g box.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's awesome alee123. I've always been concerned about soldering them because of the heat. I've seen youtubers doing it and leaving the soldering iron on the tabs for ages but I don't think they were being very careful. I like those turnigys. I was surprised by their good price.

Ladygadget

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Idk I think its safe. Think about it. As long as you don't have anything in your box that is going to puncture the lipo or your box is so soft that if you drop it something might puncture through it. I doubt it would be an issue. I personally take them out of the box and I know alot of other people do as well. Infact I was able to take the turnigy ultimate nano-tech 6400 mah 3.7 1s2p battery out of the pack and de soldered the wires and terminals off of it, took the foam out from under the tabs and folded them down. Wired them up to my sx350 chip with a 3d printed bap lid and fit the battery perfectly into a hammond 1590g box.
Do you have a photo of how you fit it? I have been trying to figure out how to fit the same 6400 battery in a 1590G and it seems just a little bit too short, even with the plastic case removed. How did you get it to fit? I have one of Bap's printed lids (X-Large) as well.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Ladygadget This is NOT mine btw. I just found it in my collection of pics. As you can see, it's unregulated and appears to be using 10wag. That's all I can tell you.

image.jpg

alee132

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I take the foam out and bend tabs back..... that's the only way.

Sent from my LG-LW770 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors