Become a Patron!

Dna 30 getting "too hot"

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I put together my diy Hana dna 30 the other day. Went together pretty well, no real problems. While using it yesterday, I noticed a lack of flavor. Looked down & see a "too hot" message. It'll cut out & show the message after about 10 seconds. I couldn't remember which way to wire up the 510. Put positive on outer ring, negative on center pin. Other than that, I know all solder connections are good. I'm wondering if I need a secondary ground. There is no g on the board, & nothing noted on the diagram I found. I donno what style of dna this is. Bought from FT, says evolv dna on startup/wake up. Anybody know what to do?

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Put positive on outer ring, negative on center pin.

Hard to say exactly what you did but the outer shell of the 510 connector should be NEG, the center pin is POS.

7lzr4tx.jpg

PAqdz1V.jpg

The connector should be press fit, the entire enclosure is the ground/NEG.

In both of these examples the NEG wire is then attached to the enclosure via a screw.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea sounds like you wired your 510 backwards, may want to fix that asap

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn damn damn. I was running short on time, kinda had to rush through the last part of assembly. My good solder iron is at work. I'll fix it tomorrow & report back.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't understand why you guys are using that crap connector. Fitting a fatdaddyvapes or varitube 510 in a hana box is super easy. It's almost like the box was designed with them in mind. Brass, fixed pin connectors are not for guys building their own stuff.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I swapped the 510 wires around & hooked up the case ground. That part worked out well, however it's still saying too hot. It vapes fine up to that point. Once it says too hot, I have to let it sit for a minute before I can get another full vape off of it. All of this is under 14 watts. Any other ideas?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't tell you whats wrong with it but that's a nice looking job on your part , i'm sure you'll figure it out , did you get the box at FT ?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is it possible the chip just can't shed heat fast enough due to how it's mounted? Micro processors make lots of heat. Shapeways sells a chip cradle that fits real nice in a hana box. Honestly, that chip cradle, fdv or varitube 510, c&k buttons and quality wire of the proper gauge can all be bought for cheap. You can build a hana box yourself that is better than an authentic or you can build a box full of junk. Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess since I had a Cana catch fire and work with electrical devices all the time I just do not get why anyone is using hot glue. Its not good
you cannot defend it there are kits they sell for the Cana so you do not have to use hot glue and create a veil of heat. No matter what your problem is I see hot glue and just think back to using that when I was a kid doing small projects.. with off the shelf baby batteries... Not a 30 amp potential bomb..
Dear god someone is going to blow their face off.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like I've said, I know my connections are good & properly soldered. Is it possible to get the epoxy off of the chip without damage? If so, I'll have no problem starting over. If not, I may have to live with it. This is my first diy & first dna, so I'm not sure how performance is supposed to be or how to diagnose it.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Like I've said, I know my connections are good & properly soldered. Is it possible to get the epoxy off of the chip without damage? If so, I'll have no problem starting over. If not, I may have to live with it. This is my first diy & first dna, so I'm not sure how performance is supposed to be or how to diagnose it.
@Savage_46 It was hard to see by your pics how much Hot glue is on the board. Is it actually covering any of the chips themselves? if so. than yeah! you need to get it off there it acts like a insulator... if you do that, and fix the Neg/pos connection prob you should probably be good for just holding the board with the hot glue is kinda ok... I would not spend a lot on the cana.... I do not know if you are handy with a dremel but its easy very easy to make a board mount and use some Jb weld to attach aluminium mounts there are many options ..... just get the glue off the chips and fixy your connections and that should be good for a cheap build ;)

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mr scary, somebody posted pics of theirs. I have not posted any yet. I'll get a pic of the inside tomorrow.

My fab skills are not that great. Whatever creative idea I have usually gets ruined by my being a perfectionist, then getting pissed & rushing it. Probably kinda like what may have happened here

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mr scary, somebody posted pics of theirs. I have not posted any yet. I'll get a pic of the inside tomorrow.

My fab skills are not that great. Whatever creative idea I have usually gets ruined by my being a perfectionist, then getting pissed & rushing it. Probably kinda like what may have happened here
I understand man I have learned over the years to slow down I used to mess and ruin all kinds of projects ;) someone should know the best way to get that epoxy/hotglue off the chips if thats where its at

VU Sponsors