Become a Patron!

DIY flavor extraction

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey gang,
I'm thinking of getting into DIY juices for two reasons, cost savings and my own flavors. The two flavors I have been searching endlessly for are a really nice smooth bourbon (Eagle Rare is my favorite) and a coffee that tastes like coffee that I drink, which is home brewed Starbucks Italian Roast, with light cream and a little bit of sugar. Someone on another thread suggested I should just do a flavor extraction for both of these. I can somewhat guess how I'd do the bourbon; pour some bourbon into a saucepan and slowly cook off the alcohol and some of the water. Question is, how would I do the coffee? I'm getting ready to science the hell out of this :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
LOL

Well.. First, I'd suggest the Dark Bean Espresso flavoring by FlavourArt. That's really a good, dead on flavoring, made by an Italian company. Otherwise, though I've never done one myself, I've read that people put grounds in a container, add PG to cover them, let it absorb, add more PG if necessary, then filter the heck out of it with coffee filters. Then you have your extracted flavoring to use.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice. Thanks! Yeah I may give the FA flavors a spin around the block first. They have several that piqued my interest.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually did my own coffee extraction that turned out quite good (to me anyway), and Huck's right; I soaked ground coffee in pg for a couple weeks, then strained it through a coffee filter about three times. I keep it in the fridge, makes a nice addition to a coffee vape.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice. Thanks! Yeah I may give the FA flavors a spin around the block first. They have several that piqued my interest.
They make up the majority of my flavoring stash. Depending on your preferences, I can recommend all their vanillas and creams, most of their fruits, many of their drink flavorings, and all the dessert flavors. Many of their tobaccos also get good reviews. I do also use other brands, but theirs are very concentrated, so you don't need much at all, and they're quite tasty. MOST of the fruits taste just like the real thing, not like candy.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I actually did my own coffee extraction that turned out quite good (to me anyway), and Huck's right; I soaked ground coffee in pg for a couple weeks, then strained it through a coffee filter about three times. I keep it in the fridge, makes a nice addition to a coffee vape.
At what percentage did you use it? Thanks for speaking up, I've never done one, so that's good info!

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I can find or make a coffee and a bourbon that I like, those would be the only flavors I vaped for a while. Time to get some greedients!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At what percentage did you use it? Thanks for speaking up, I've never done one, so that's good info!
Had to look it up real quick - I soaked 2 tbls of ground coffee in 30ml pg for two weeks. It's nowhere near as strong as say FA espresso, but 5-10% in a coffee mix tastes really "authentic."

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can somewhat guess how I'd do the bourbon; pour some bourbon into a saucepan and slowly cook off the alcohol and some of the water.

Good luck with that and please tell us how that works for you.

I'm thinking whatever you don't cook away will be too weak a flavor for use in mixing vape juice. Expensive too! I would suggest instead getting some TPA Kentucky Bourbon and perhaps some vanilla, FA Oakwood and FA Caramel. (To adjust the Bourbon juice to your liking) Maybe some FA Whiskey and/or Brandy too.

Just my 2 cents...

Ron
----
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction"-. Bob Marley

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
TFA Ky Bourbon is pretty dead on bourbon. If you posted about one with oakwood, vanilla, caramel and almond, all those flavors are also available and very good ones.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had to look it up real quick - I soaked 2 tbls of ground coffee in 30ml pg for two weeks. It's nowhere near as strong as say FA espresso, but 5-10% in a coffee mix tastes really "authentic."
Oh, and I've also seen recipes where people used their own coffee extractions and put a couple of coffee beans in the juice. Haven't done that myself though.

VU Sponsors