Diy Ejuice legal question

Justcody

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if I could get into any legal trouble for selling ejuice I mix with out a permit even if the person is 18. Like if I was to do it to make extra money in college

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What nazi state do you live in where a permit is needed?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Most likely, YES.

In all states that I am aware of, are REQUIRED to charge sales tax. Some are even more strict.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Most likely, YES.

In all states that I am aware of, are REQUIRED to charge sales tax. Some are even more strict.
pretty sure unless I sell in your state what I charge is what I charge. no sales tax here.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You must live in a state with NO sales tax then. Everything but service (labor) is sales taxed here.

There would also be the requirement for liability insurance, as my state requires every business has it. (150K minimum).

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...In all states that I am aware of, are REQUIRED to charge sales tax. Some are even more strict....
It's NOWHERE REQUIRED to charge sales tax. However, you have to pay sales tax for everything you sell as a business. Therefore, as a smart business man, you have your customers buying in the same state, as your business is in, pay for the sales tax, by adding it to the price of your products.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The dude wants to sell e-juice under the table. He's not worried about sales tax I'm assuming. Do removed dealers charge sales tax? Just keep a low profile and sell to friends and friends of friends.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If its a hobby, you dont need to charge tax... But you will prolly need to declare the income on your personal taxes. All depends on how much you make.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's NOWHERE REQUIRED to charge sales tax. However, you have to pay sales tax for everything you sell as a business. Therefore, as a smart business man, you have your customers buying in the same state, as your business is in, pay for the sales tax, by adding it to the price of your products.

You either have no clue, or you are talking shit. Indiana, Michigan and Ohio are REQUIRED to pay sales tax in state. You don't "add it to the price". It's a separate line item in every sale. You are also required as a retailer, to have a business license AND a sales tax certificate to sell in state, if you want to sell goods, which e-juice and mods ARE.

So yes, if the OP wants to sell in state, in a state that charges sales tax, he WILL have to meet the requirements of his state.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The dude isn't talking about opening a freakin store for crying out loud. He's talking about selling a little juice to make extra money in college. He doesn't have to charge sales tax and good luck to the IRS proving he sold some bottles of juice.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You either have no clue, or you are talking shit. Indiana, Michigan and Ohio are REQUIRED to pay sales tax in state. You don't "add it to the price". It's a separate line item in every sale. You are also required as a retailer, to have a business license AND a sales tax certificate to sell in state, if you want to sell goods, which e-juice and mods ARE.

So yes, if the OP wants to sell in state, in a state that charges sales tax, he WILL have to meet the requirements of his state.
Thats not what he said..

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You have NO clue how much he intends to sell or to whom.

Only a dumb ass would make juice and sell it to people they don't know extremely well. All it takes is ONE lawsuit or even one person to turn your ass in for selling as an unlicensed business and your toast.

What generally will happen in situation like this, is some dude gets the bright idea they want to be in business for themselves. "Under the table" making some scratch. Then at some point, shit goes all sideways because they wanted a "cash" income. They end up in trouble with the state/fed government or they end up in court or both.

A business without a plan is already well on the road to ruin.

But then you wouldn't know that, would you? You are clueless to running a legitimate business.....

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good God man, are you ever NOT angry???

4biddenArtist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol you guys. I live in Oregon where there is no sales tax. I dont think you need to tax stuff you sell at a garage sale in Indiana do you?

my advice make good juice and sell to friends that won't squeal on ya!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
....Indiana, Michigan and Ohio are REQUIRED to pay sales tax in state. You don't "add it to the price". It's a separate line item in every sale....
Obviously, you can't read. What do you think does it mean when I said "...However, you have to pay sales tax for every thing you sell...."? It's the same as what I quoted from you. Just replace "have to" with "are required to" in my sentence, maybe then you'll understand.
It still doesn't mean, you are required to charge your customers with the sales tax. It would just be stupid not to do so.
The separate line item on the bill was added for the buyer, in order to explain how much of the total paid, is the sales tax. For example why that same product bought in the store in XYZ is more/less expensive, than buying it in her/his home town's store in ZYX. Other countries don't have this problem, due to the sales tax being the same all over the country.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Obviously, you can't read. What do you think does it mean when I said "...However, you have to pay sales tax for every thing you sell...."? It's the same as what I quoted from you. Just replace "have to" with "are required to" in my sentence, maybe then you'll understand.
It still doesn't mean, you are required to charge your customers with the sales tax. It would just be stupid not to do so.
The separate line item on the bill was added for the buyer, in order to explain how much of the total paid, is the sales tax. For example why that same product bought in the store in XYZ is more/less expensive, than buying it in her/his home town's store in ZYX. Other countries don't have this problem, due to the sales tax being the same all over the country.
Well, that and for accounting.. But ya, you can add in the sales tax to the price and fore go the added 'sales tax' line item on the bill. No law against it.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Let this thread be a lesson to you, OP. Don't ask for legal advice on an internet forum. If you want real legal advice you can actually use, consult with a lawyer in your state. Bottom line is, anytime you sell something under the table/off the books, you're running a risk for tax evasion, among other things. Some states are far more strict on this than others.

If you're just looking to keep yourself and a handful of close pals full up on e-liquid, it's probably not going to raise any eyebrows. On the flip side, it's pretty cheap to start an LLC and do it legit, and protect yourself in the process.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I doubt the OP was even TALKING about taxes. Seems to me he was asking if he could get into trouble selling e-juice the way you would get into trouble selling cigarettes, like, is it freakin illegal to do it without a permit. I doubt very much he's worrying about the sales tax on some shit he's going to sell to his college buddies. The poor guy writes two sentences and everyone starts thumping their chests arguing with each other about taxes. No wonder he never came back. Lol.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol you guys. I live in Oregon where there is no sales tax. I dont think you need to tax stuff you sell at a garage sale in Indiana do you?

my advice make good juice and sell to friends that won't squeal on ya!

Actually, yes you ARE supposed to pay tax on the stuff you sell in your yard sale.

No sales tax? No issue, OTHER than liability. And paying taxes on profits.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if I could get into any legal trouble for selling ejuice I mix with out a permit even if the person is 18. Like if I was to do it to make extra money in college
You could get in trouble. Just be smart about it. Put generic, flavor / ratio / nic strength labels on the bottles. No "brand" names, no phone numbers, addresses, etc.. Have them printed on someone else's printer using an ink that can't be used in your printer. If you sell out of the trunk of a car, use someone else's car. Wipe the bottles to remove your fingerprints from them, and make sure not to get any DNA in the product. Oh, and use a fake name - like Fred, or Hans.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I doubt the OP was even TALKING about taxes. Seems to me he was asking if he could get into trouble selling e-juice the way you would get into trouble selling cigarettes, like, is it freakin illegal to do it without a permit. I doubt very much he's worrying about the sales tax on some shit he's going to sell to his college buddies. The poor guy writes two sentences and everyone starts thumping their chests arguing with each other about taxes. No wonder he never came back. Lol.
It's entertaining thoug! :) Damn, forgot to bring the popcorn.

Justcody

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Oh hey sorry guys!!! I have been busy lately but yeah I am just looking to sell under the table too a few friends as extra cash while im in college and maybe during my journeys along the way I will actually set up a shop but for right now I am just making it a hobby thanks for the input. Just wondering how things could go bad for me. I am pretty clueless​

VU Sponsors