Become a Patron!

Dislike for SS

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Am I the only one that doesn't like stainless steel? I feel it is harsh. Like it has a burnt-ish aftertaste on anything with decent heat. I've used it with tc and regular power modes. I like still like nickel better for tc.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Am I the only one that doesn't like stainless steel? I feel it is harsh. Like it has a burnt-ish aftertaste on anything with decent heat. I've used it with tc and regular power modes. I like still like nickel better for tc.
I've read a few other posts from people that didn't like it. Are you using thin wire, like 28 gauge? I've had some harsh vapes from 28g SS (unless it's twisted) but get a very smooth vape with thicker wire. 24 gauge is extremely smooth in temp control using a spaced coil. Night and day difference. If 24 gauge SS is harsh for you then it's definitely not the wire for you. It could also be a difference of vape style. I prefer cool vapes.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't like ss at all but I do like tc after about 10 hits it has a break in. When ever I use tc mode I space the coils and make sure they are all the same it really makes the difference. I do not trust nickel nor do I care for the taste.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have 28 Guage 316l. I'll see if I can find legit 24

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 28 Guage 316l. I'll see if I can find legit 24
The larger wire makes a world of difference. I hope you like it. If you have trouble finding 24 gauge then consider 26g or maybe try twisting some of the wire you already have.

Tightly twisting a couple strands of 28g can slow down the overly quick heating and give a noticeably better vape. That said, it also makes the wire pretty springy. When you make a twisted 28g SS coil you may want to use a slightly smaller rod than your intended size. I use a 2mm rod to get a 2.5mm coil, and definitely make sure to space the coil if you want to use it in TC. Also, it seems like twisted 316L SS coils last a fair bit longer than straight 316L wire. If you don't have a drill you can find a few youtube videos on how to hand twist wire.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't like SS either. It feels like its to hot of a wire. Even in tc. I used to love titanium but now I'm about n80 and regular vw

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Love SS316L wire. I have 100 foot rolls of 32, 30, 28,26, 24 and 22. Hardly ever use Kanthal A1 anymore. Do use a lot of 32 and 30 of nickel for the wifes Ego One CL and my Atlantis style TC rebuilds. CHEERS!

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive only tried ss once and didnt like it... then again ive only tried tc one other time with nickel and didnt like it either... i use mostly n80 and really only use kanthal if i need the resistance raised a little...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The larger wire makes a world of difference. I hope you like it. If you have trouble finding 24 gauge then consider 26g or maybe try twisting some of the wire you already have.

Tightly twisting a couple strands of 28g can slow down the overly quick heating and give a noticeably better vape. That said, it also makes the wire pretty springy. When you make a twisted 28g SS coil you may want to use a slightly smaller rod than your intended size. I use a 2mm rod to get a 2.5mm coil, and definitely make sure to space the coil if you want to use it in TC. Also, it seems like twisted 316L SS coils last a fair bit longer than straight 316L wire. If you don't have a drill you can find a few youtube videos on how to hand twist wire.
This. Strait SS simply heats up too fast and since it holds heat very well that second hit heats up even faster.

I've found it works amazingly for twisted builds but just like Coralline said wrap on something smaller because it will spring out. I just hand twist it and I haven't had any issues. I almost never vape anything other than SS at this point.

I never vape a strait wire anymore either, twisting or doing more than that solves the issues I had with strait wire and SS solves the ramp up issues I had with twisting. But I always use power mode.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Love SS316L wire. I have 100 foot rolls of 32, 30, 28,26, 24 and 22. Hardly ever use Kanthal A1 anymore. Do use a lot of 32 and 30 of nickel for the wifes Ego One CL and my Atlantis style TC rebuilds. CHEERS!
Where did you get the 100 ft rolls?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

This. Strait SS simply heats up too fast and since it holds heat very well that second hit heats up even faster.

I've found it works amazingly for twisted builds but just like Coralline said wrap on something smaller because it will spring out. I just hand twist it and I haven't had any issues. I almost never vape anything other than SS at this point.

I never vape a strait wire anymore either, twisting or doing more than that solves the issues I had with strait wire and SS solves the ramp up issues I had with twisting. But I always use power mode.
After twisting the wire, put a torch to it to get rid of the "springiness".

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After twisting the wire, put a torch to it to get rid of the "springiness".
... that's probably a great idea, I usually torch it after I coil anyways (burn off any nastiness that usually ruins the flavor for a bit).

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've read a few other posts from people that didn't like it. Are you using thin wire, like 28 gauge? I've had some harsh vapes from 28g SS (unless it's twisted) but get a very smooth vape with thicker wire. 24 gauge is extremely smooth in temp control using a spaced coil. Night and day difference. If 24 gauge SS is harsh for you then it's definitely not the wire for you. It could also be a difference of vape style. I prefer cool vapes.

Just updating. I found a shop that carried 24 gauge SS and it is night and day difference. Thank you for the recommendation. Good for tc and wattage vaping.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
For TC, I'm finding the 430 works better than 316/317l. And if you have any nickel issues, allergies or just don't like it, 430 is nickel free.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just updating. I found a shop that carried 24 gauge SS and it is night and day difference. Thank you for the recommendation. Good for tc and wattage vaping.
I'm so glad you like it. I was surprised at the difference when I first tried 24 gauge. Thank you for posting the update.

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

After work-hardening wire, it must be annealed; torched to red, the slowly cool it..much less springy then.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After work-hardening wire, it must be annealed; torched to red, the slowly cool it..much less springy then.
I do that sometimes but decided it was more useful to advise using a smaller rod and dry fire the coil in the atty. Both methods work. Torching definitely helps to knock out the springiness, but a lot of people don't have a torch. For those vapers, the smaller rod option will help them get their coil built with the equipment they already have. The results will be about the same.

Last edited:

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Typically steel is heat treated in a multi-step process. First it is heated to create a solid solution of iron and carbon in a process called austenizing. Austenizing is followed by quenching to produce a martensitic microstructure. The steel is then tempered by heating between the ranges of 150°C-260°C (300°F-500°F) and 370°C-650°C (700°F-1200°F). The steel is held at that temperature until the carbon trapped in the martensite diffuses to produce a chemical composition with the potential to create either bainite or pearlite (a crystal structure formed from a mixture of ferrite and cementite).
In other words, the material is first heated then hardened by quenching. It is then reheated to a lower temperature and slowly cooled until the desired temper point is reached. It is then quenched.

Pretty simple concept ;-), but if you are too sensitive try this;

A full solution anneal stress-relieving heat treatment will re-transform any martensite formed back to austenite. (This will also give the lowest magnetic permeability possible for any particular grade.)
Slow cooling is advisable to avoid introducing distortion problems or residual thermal tensile stresses and so the risk of sensitisation during a slow cool may have to be accepted.

The temperature ranges used in stress relieving must avoid sensitising the steel to corrosion or the formation of embrittling precipitates.
As a general guideline, it is advisable that the range 480-900�C is avoided.
The low carbon (304L or 316L) or the stabilised (321 or 347) types should not be at risk from corrosion sensitisation during stress relieving treatments.

VU Sponsors