Become a Patron!

Diet tips and tricks

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I thought u could just leave taters out? After a while they start to sprout, but it takes a while

Edit-n/m, googled specifics, i guess thats a lot of potatos to eat in a few weeks, lol

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought u could just leave taters out? After a while they start to sprout, but it takes a while

Edit-n/m, i guess thats a lot of potatos to eat in a few weeks, lol

You can leave them out, but I live in an old apartment with gappy window frames, doors and moldings, with greenbelt out front, so I don't leave food out at all ever, to avoid inviting in garden pests. The gappy fittings aren't obvious, but often I'll see a spider coming up through the baseboard molding, and I'm always having to dust webs out from the windows. Bugs creep me out, and I don't ever want to make the landlord think she has to bring in a pest control company to spray, though about six months ago another apartment in my building got German roaches. I said I didn't want my place sprayed, so she let the guy inspect it. No roaches, no spraying, thank goodness.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
You can leave them out, but I live in an old apartment with gappy window frames, doors and moldings, with greenbelt out front, so I don't leave food out at all ever, to avoid inviting in garden pests. The gappy fittings aren't obvious, but often I'll see a spider coming up through the baseboard molding, and I'm always having to dust webs out from the windows. Bugs creep me out, and I don't ever want to make the landlord think she has to bring in a pest control company to spray, though about six months ago another apartment in my building got German roaches. I said I didn't want my place sprayed, so she let the guy inspect it. No roaches, no spraying, thank goodness.
Thats funny, i was gonna say ive become accustomed to lkeeping all food in the fridge to avoid bugs and mice because not all of my apts in my life have been the greatest

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We all have choices to make, until all of our choices are taken away and we get nothing to eat but bugs. Look into that if you want your hackles raised.
Yes, but, ... and you just had to know that butt was coming. *grin* About 2 to 2.5/3rds of the world already eats bugs as a staple. Plus, ultimately the bugs will win. They have the largest family on the planet.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I looked up the difference between bok choy and baby bok choy, because I don't know, and apparently baby bok choy is the same as regular, but you pick it earlier while it's small and very tender. Otherwise there are dwarf varieties you can plant, but yours is planted already.

Anyway, this is only 4 minutes long, and looks pretty easy, other than the initial futzing with salting, soaking and rinsing.

It has fish sauce as the only non-vegan ingredient, but there are lots of commercial vegan copies of that flavor out there. Otherwise:

Thank you my dear friend, it looks delicious I'll definitely check it out . Mine is at the baby stage right now so gonna harvest one and try it so if I like it I can plant more ;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My fridge is stuffed with today's grocery haul:

2 lbs. organic strawberries
18 oz. organic blueberries
12 oz. organic blackberries
6 heads organic romaine
2 lbs. organic Brussels sprouts
10 lbs. organic gold potatoes
One packaged organic Caesar salad kit (for a lazy supper tonite)
8 cans organic Rotels (hard to find in the organic version)

If I could have bought half the amount of the potatoes I would have, but they had only the 10 lb. bags. There won't be any problem consuming them in due time though.

I would have loved to also get the organic cherries and organic autalfo mangoes, but with the 10 lbs. potatoes I knew there wouldn't be enough fridge space left. Sigh.
I am anxious to see how you use your sprouts, I have 4 plants that are 2 foot tall and growin with a ton of sprouts. I am goin to start harvestin the lower ones pretty soon and they taste so much better fresh.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Edit-n/m, googled specifics, i guess thats a lot of potatos to eat in a few weeks, lol
You always want to keep taders in a cool place, some basements are cool enough, mine is luckily. I have about 150 pounds I am guessin, there are pictures of them in my garden thread, of taders in my basement right now and usually at this time have a lot more than that (drought year).

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am anxious to see how you use your sprouts, I have 4 plants that are 2 foot tall and growin with a ton of sprouts. I am goin to start harvestin the lower ones pretty soon and they taste so much better fresh.
I like sprouts shredded and then stir fried or baked with butter and garlic.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hungry Fatchick lost 41 pounds in five weeks, first with 30 days strict carnivore, after which she transitioned to a keto plan. She's lost even a few more pounds since then. Her viewers, including myself, are thrilled for her, as she has struggled with overeating and depression for so long.

Anyway on a recent vid she talked about how one of those box meal delivery services included some potatoes in one of the meals, along with ingredients to make loaded potatoes, and some brussels sprouts, but she gave away the potatoes and used the "loaded" ingredients to make loaded brussels sprouts instead. Brill! I couldn't wait to copy it, which is why those 2 lb. Brussels sprouts are on the above grocery haul list.

That'll be my next trick.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hungry Fatchick lost 41 pounds in five weeks, first with 30 days strict carnivore, after which she transitioned to a keto plan. She's lost even a few more pounds since then. Her viewers, including myself, are thrilled for her, as she has struggled with overeating and depression for so long.

Anyway on a recent vid she talked about how one of those box meal delivery services included some potatoes in one of the meals, along with ingredients to make loaded potatoes, and some brussels sprouts, but she gave away the potatoes and used the "loaded" ingredients to make loaded brussels sprouts instead. Brill! I couldn't wait to copy it, which is why those 2 lb. Brussels sprouts are on the above grocery haul list.

That'll be my next trick.
MMMM that sounds delicious too, can't wait to see how it comes out.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You always want to keep taders in a cool place, some basements are cool enough, mine is luckily. I have about 150 pounds I am guessin, there are pictures of them in my garden thread, of taders in my basement right now and usually at this time have a lot more than that (drought year).
I wish I had a basement, but those are rare in CA. I'll try growing some next spring, but no way as many as you do. I don't have cool storage.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Now did u do that in a small garden or did it take a plot of land? Thats like the amount i would consider a winters worth.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish I had a basement, but those are rare in CA. I'll try growing some next spring, but no way as many as you do. I don't have cool storage.
You should next spring, there's nothing like the taste of a fresh garden tader, store tades have all been gassed to impede the natural cycle of the tader which also impedes the taste and the way they cook up. A dark very cool room will let the store well. ;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now did u do that in a small garden or did it take a plot of land? Thats like the amount i would consider a winters worth.
Yes did that in my back yard and it is intended to last most of the winter. If you get your taders in early, plant them 5 inches deep and hill them twice you can get 12 to 20 taders per plant. This year my wife had a life threatenin condition and my whole garden sucked. I have posted pictures of my taders growin in my garden thread.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fresh taders last much longer than the store bought because they are already who knows how old, the gassin process can extend the "life" of the tader but is the loss of the "TRUE" tader tase worth it. Properly grown and cured homegrown taders will last 2 to 3 months with no cold storage before tryin to eye.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't fall for this
mail

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, but, ... and you just had to know that butt was coming. *grin* About 2 to 2.5/3rds of the world already eats bugs as a staple. Plus, ultimately the bugs will win. They have the largest family on the planet.

They are highly allergenic, full of chitins that attack the human immune response, and carry parasites. What the NWO wants to do is have bug farms next to grain fields so the bugs can escape and demolish yet more of our food supply.

Yes, they eat bugs in areas that suffer from famine (usually the result of outside interference in their economies, such as in the Congo River region of Africa), and it requires hard, intensive work to smoke them out of the forest where they can be trapped. They have long eaten chapulines in Mexico (a vestige of the starvation days when the Spaniards, hand in hand with the church, robbed the natives of their agricultural lands), but humans are not meant to eat insects. It is another of many attempts to humiliate and control us. I doubt that one third of the world consumes bugs as staple foods, unless you count crawfish, in which case the exoskeletons are not eaten.

You're welcome to them, welcome to your universal basic income in your 15 minute city, wearing a mask for the rest of your life.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MMM protein:giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
MMM protein:giggle:
Yep. Grasshoppers and crickets can get you through a few days, grubs, helgramites (bot fly larva) are good as well. Earthworms are a real delicacy. Not too keen on ants, but they do in a pinch, no pun intended. I draw the line at eating roaches, though. Have heard they can survive even inside another critter. That somewhat creeps me out. Then again for years it was fine and healthy if children had hookworms, pin worms in their stools, only recently have seen rise to killing those out.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They are highly allergenic, full of chitins that attack the human immune response, and carry parasites. What the NWO wants to do is have bug farms next to grain fields so the bugs can escape and demolish yet more of our food supply.

Yes, they eat bugs in areas that suffer from famine (usually the result of outside interference in their economies, such as in the Congo River region of Africa), and it requires hard, intensive work to smoke them out of the forest where they can be trapped. They have long eaten chapulines in Mexico (a vestige of the starvation days when the Spaniards, hand in hand with the church, robbed the natives of their agricultural lands), but humans are not meant to eat insects. It is another of many attempts to humiliate and control us. I doubt that one third of the world consumes bugs as staple foods, unless you count crawfish, in which case the exoskeletons are not eaten.

You're welcome to them, welcome to your universal basic income in your 15 minute city, wearing a mask for the rest of your life.

Awe, but it really isn't as bad a doom and gloom as you're making it out, either. People eat locusts when the locusts wipe out their crops, ergo the locusts become the crop. As to being humiliated, nothing wrong in a bit of humility if you need to survive. Yes, I know it's ALL about control. Part of why I'm keen to remain as adaptable as can. That is one thing which can separate us from other critters, we can reason and solve problems.

Unfortunately, TIC (Those In Control) don't seem kin to solving our worst problems. My theory is it's Hegelian dialectic they use to attempt keeping control. They unleash problems, refuse solving them until we give up a right, and it becomes privileged, a commodity to deprive us of at their whims and whiles.

"You need to eat bugs in order to move freely."

"Fine, I'll toss in some herbs, tree barks, some boiled out of river water or morning dew and have a nice hearty stew. Meanwhile, joke's on you. Figured you'd try this bull chip crap. I got ready as a child. Bull chips? Made my house out of 'em and heat to cook, heat with it."

You get lemons, sell snowballs in Hell. *grin*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What the NWO wants to do is have bug farms next to grain fields so the bugs can escape and demolish yet more of our food supply.

Conspiracy takes on all kinds of seemingly evil, nefarious intonations. Perhaps, just perhaps mind, there exists other forms of conspiracies, ones that actually promote the Eternal Flame, love, Light, peace, Fraternity and equality, freedom for all. I'm sure nobody bothers putting those in the media spotlight.

Usually some Anonymous Benefactor takes no credit for an act of decency, fellowship, genuinely good deeds. They just keep rolling along, solving the next problem, doing what's needed, moving on, and so on. No, nobody wants to read that, instead let us keep empowering Darkness. Let's keep bringing up all these mass acts of violence, all these scares from the weather, whispers of some grand global scheme by idiots fearful of loosing everything.

It is fear alone that kills. Fear paralyzes us, robs us of opportunity. Fear creates hate, hate rigs elections, hate is the sword of greed, ... enough is all you need and all you need is enough. But no, folks want it ALL. And that grand cosmic ALL, is not owned by any, it's simply there for ALL. To pillage away more than need sparks the seed of fear and greed.

Such evils, of which we see and read, have power enough. We know its weapons, give them back to it, let it play. Smile, nod and tell it to eat the mud pie first for the child it is. Then, ignore it, there's nothing it can do to you. You've already won.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep. Grasshoppers and crickets can get you through a few days, grubs, helgramites (bot fly larva) are good as well. Earthworms are a real delicacy.

Oh really, MMM? Which ones do YOU eat, in this land that has, for countless generations, given us those legendary amber waves of grain, hunting lands, cattle ranches and chicken farms, conventional and organic vegetables, fruit and nuts both domesticated and wild, all of the abundance of affordable food that has made people in famine plagued countries want to come here?

There is conspiracy theory, and there is open conspiracy fact:

Then again for years it was fine and healthy if children had hookworms, pin worms in their stools, only recently have seen rise to killing those out.

No it wasn't "fine and healthy" and it isn't "only recently" that we've seen the rise of killing those out. From time immemorial Intestinal worms have been a serious concern to people, especially to parents, because they make children suffer and can lead to long term problems. The itch scratch cycle can spread the parasite eggs into the urinary and reproductive tracts. The eggs get dislodged into the bed clothes and spread from child to child. Hookworms cause diarrhea and can lead to slowed cognitive growth in children.

Throughout history, from the ancient herbal texts to my collection of folk cures books, there have been recipes for powerful herbal brews for expelling worms. Peoples' kitchen gardens have been for both food and medicine.

But I knew you would eventually insert yourself into my thread and graffiti it over with your walls of spew until it's impossible to navigate to the thread's intended content. I'm surprised it took you a whole year to find this one. Congratulations. You've gotten rid of me again. I leave this one to you. The ironic thing is that once I'm gone, you'll probably stop posting here too, just as with my other thread you overran and ruined.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I would have to be so hungry that i'd be delerious and half dead and it would still have to be reformed into those protein blocks from the snowpiercer movie.

There would still be a lot of gagging and throwing up.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh really, MMM? Which ones do YOU eat
I have eaten grasshoppers, crickets, helgramites, various grubs, even maggots, earthworm, snake, raccoon, opossum, groundhog, bear, rabbit, squirrel, deer, fish, berries, tree bark, wild grasses, herbs, variety of berries, mushrooms, pine nuts, alligator, armadillo (an opossum in a shell), turtle, pigeon, nutrina (fat from swamp rats), rats. I would eat any of it again, if the need arose.

I am not too proud to do what may seem unpleasant in order to survive. As you point out and seem very unaware, the world has food in abundance. Hell, we in the U.S. alone throw out so much food waste every day we could feed the world twice over for five years.

It isn't that there isn't food. There damn well is food a plenty and then some. There is indeed political will against feeding everyone. That has been known for at least 40 years now.

I'll stand by my point of helpful parasites. Yes, I may have been wrong on which types, will admit that. Still, there's a valid point that helpful parasites exist. And yes, I know of all the archaic tomes for dispelling worms, parasites. I'm not arguing bad parasites be left to cause harm.

But I knew you would eventually insert yourself into my thread and graffiti it over with your walls of spew until it's impossible to navigate to the thread's intended content. I'm surprised it took you a whole year to find this one. Congratulations. You've gotten rid of me again. I leave this one to you. The ironic thing is that once I'm gone, you'll probably stop posting here too, just as with my other thread you overran and ruined.

Yes I'll stop posting here but not simply because it was your thread, or you're not here. Firstly, I've not attempted to ruin your conversations or their intents. What I have done is attempted to engage in conversations, offer differing view points. It was once called mature discussion among adults.

I am not being what you seem to try painting me into, a troll. I am simply desiring to share in the conversation, with you, with others. We can all learn new things via sharing ideas, thoughts, expressions. Yes, we can borrow from the old to build upon the new. We can also go our own paths, have differing opinions, respectfully agree to disagree.

Again, I am not here to ruin, disparage, belittle any of your conversations or their intentions. What ticks me off is you seeming to think that is my intention. It seems, at least to me, you're shutting out new ideas, new thoughts, expressions. You seem xenophobic, afraid of the new, different.

Fear kills, that has remained my core message throughout a lot of conversations. You likely would have a spinning head to know the USDA will tolerate up to 48% bug related parts in many varieties of meat, vegetable products sold in the U.S.

The USDA does so with approval of the FDA and the FDA checks with doctors for "best practices". Eating bugs is not such a terrible thing. We in the U.S. though, are not told all the truth, in fact recently as of five or so years ago, it is legal for the government to lie to us. Welcome to the nanny state.

Back to differences, difference makes our world go around. Instead of shutting it down, we maybe ought to celebrate it. Alas, you may not even read this. I am sorry to have seemingly intruded. Forgive me trying to be a friend. Can see now you will not have that. Very well, ...

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would have to be so hungry that i'd be delerious and half dead and it would still have to be reformed into those protein blocks from the snowpiercer movie.

There would still be a lot of gagging and throwing up.
Been into one of the hmm, factories for lack of a better term where they do process out protein. The factories are spotless and everyone takes seriously keeping the end product pure. There literally are no actual remains left behind from the processing. All the consumer gets is protein, pure as it comes.

One large consumer is Taco Bell. They use it in the meat slurry blend. It offsets the cost of using real beef, which they do use yet the percentage ratios of beef to slurry is a direly guarded trade secret. The slurry mix is known somewhat affectionately as Pink Slime Number 57.

Please excuse me, now exiting the thread. Seems I'm not welcomed. *shrugs* Ah well, ...

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
N/m, i dont wanna know

I decided I'm not letting him take over my thread, so I'm here to tell you.

He said:

"One large consumer is Taco Bell. They use it in the meat slurry blend. It offsets the cost of using real beef, which they do use yet the percentage ratios of beef to slurry is a direly guarded trade secret. The slurry mix is known somewhat affectionately as Pink Slime Number 57."

I'm making the correction he's probably not going to come back and make:

Taco Bell would have to admit it if they were using insect in their beef. This article says that Pink Slime is the name given to ammoniated boneless lean beef trimmings, NOT insect parts. And I believe they have stopped using that ingredient in any case.

https://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/ingredients

When he says the FDA allows up to 48 percent insect in meat products, he's ill informed and is spreading disinformation. It's up to 48 fragments, not 48 percent. Up to 48 fragments of bug parts, cast skins, larvae, rodent hair and animal poop per x-amount of the product, depending on which product. It goes back to the era, early 1980s I think, when it was decided that some contamination is inevitable in the harvesting, processing and transport of food products.

Food made of insect can only be sold to you labeled, such as cricket flour or protein cookies made of cricket flour.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm making the correction he's probably not going to come back and make:

Detente? Apologies for not meeting up to your presumptions. Then too, how dare someone express a desire to bury the hatchet. Yes, of course you do, obviously right in someone's back. Sorry, that doesn't "ease tensions" very well with me.

Please, do continue your thread unabated by my presence. As I stated:
Forgive me trying to be a friend. Can see now you will not have that. Very well, ...

You have simply farther elucidated the point you do not see me as a friend, nor do you desire our friendship. No idea what I've done warranting such prejudgment, as you've been so with me since first visiting the forum.

It's fine. Not everyone has to like everyone else. We all have different friends, people we each like, or dislike. If you don't want my friendship, that's okay by me. Can find or have other friends on my end.

he's ill informed and is spreading disinformation.

No, it is misinformation, as I was told one thing many years ago. Failed to keep abreast of it and further research it, as I trusted the source as credible. I did not post this information with deliberate intent to deceive. I posted incorrect information based upon something once discussed with a now, proven to be mistaken source.

I am always amenable to an admission of being wrong. Yes, apparently I made misstatements here. None were made to deceive, or with intention of that. I can apologize for some ignorance, learn, move forward.

Clearly, you can move forward now, as well. Excuse me, think I am wanted elsewhere.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Cant we all just get along....lol

Kumbya
Namaste

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Product tip: Alden's organic mini ice cream sandwiches

These are 100 calories each, and they're rich and delicious. It takes a long time to eat one, because you know how you do it, if you were ever a kid. You lick the ice cream between the sandwich cookies, all sides, until you can bite off the edges of the cookies, then you lick some more, and so on. If you were never a kid, how sad.

Aldens 100 cal.JPG
stock photo

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last night I tried what they call "vegan tuna salad" from cooked chickpeas. I never made it before because I thought I'd have to buy a food processor, but I used this thingy I have for making mashed potatoes. The edges are fairly sharp for a nylon implement, but the sides are curved for scraping the sides of the bowl back to the middle. I rinsed and drained one can of organic low sodium chicks before starting:

Chick mash.jpg

I believe tuna salad preferences are based on those sandwiches mom put in the school lunch bag, but in some instances we adapt childhood faves to our adult culinary preferences, as when we replace marshmallows with pecans on the holiday sweet potatoes. My mom made a simple tuna salad recipe with mayo and yellow mustard, a little chopped dill pickle or celery, depending on what was in the fridge, and that was it for school lunch sandwiches. At home though, the sandwich was upscaled with the addition of lettuce and sliced tomato, and the bread toasted. My grandma added sliced black olives to the tuna mixture. Another version was tuna with chopped apple, celery and mayo. I would like to try the chickpea "tuna" with chopped apple soon.

For this first try I used Sir Kensington classic vegan mayo (the only good vegan mayo on the market IMO):

Kensington.JPG
Stock photo

plus some yellow mustard, chopped celery, wonderful fresh dill, salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The goods.jpg

I wanted to differentiate the flavor of this dish from the usual expectations we have of chickpeas, as in curries and hummus. There are tons more imaginative or "gourmet" additions you can make, such as capers, lemon juice, fennel seed, but again, I wanted something close to the kiddy version of tuna salad I grew up with.

So I mixed the mash with the other ingredients. Of course I added sliced tomato and crunchy lettuce on my sandwich, on organic multi-seed bread. Omygawd! So good.

Chickpea tuna w the goods.jpg
CT sandwich cross section.jpg

I don't think tuna fish really has much taste of the sea. That's why they call it "chicken of the sea" and things like that, but if you want some taste of the ocean you can add seaweed powder or crumbled nori. I didn't do that, but a long time ago I made a vegan potato chowder as a mock clam chowder, and used some crumbled nori in that. It worked to give it a seafood aroma and flavor.

Back to my sandwich. Wanting to keep track of calories, I used a regular size ice cream scoop to put some mixture on the bread, flattened it down, and it was enough. Then I used the scoop to measure the leftovers into a separate bowl for the fridge. Three whole scoops left! So this mixture using one can of chicks makes four sandwiches.

Calories:

The can of chickpeas - 420 cal., divided by four (I used one fourth on my sandwich) = 105 cal. for the serving
The bread - 100 cal. per slice x 2 = 200 cal.
The vegan mayo - 90 cal. per tablespoon x 2 T in the mixture = 180, divided by four (I only ate one quarter of the mixture) = 45 for the serving

Since I don't count the calories in lettuce, tomatoes, celery or the dill, and mustard is only 3 cal. per teaspoon, total calories for the dinner serving = 353 (including 3 cal. for the mustard :) )

Something to appreciate is that you can store cans of organic chickpeas just as you'd store the cans of tuna, and always have them at the ready.

I should disclose that I am not vegan. I try to keep at the top of my game for cooking for people with all sorts of dietary restrictions, so if I'm having people over for dinner, and I know any of them are vegan, we'll all eat vegan, and I want everyone at the table to be able to eat it up and say "yum, seconds please".

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been trying to tell ppl about this magical combination forever but no one will believe me. When i used to go to subway i would ask for a whole layer of black olives on my tuna. Its so good

Totally agree, and it was one of the many ways grandma's cooking was more "upscale" than mom's, not that my mom wasn't an excellent cook. Anyway I forgot to buy the olives when I was getting the ingredients for my experiment.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Found these in my prepper supplies, freeze dried whole strawberries. 60 calories for the whole packet. I'm showing a stock photo of the back of the bag. No other ingredients than the strawberries and some sugar. They're crunchy, kind of like strawberry cheetos or something. I stirred them into some Truwhip for dessert tonite.

Freeze dried strawberries back.JPGFreeze dried strawberries.JPG

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fast food choices

It's gotten so that even if I'm with somebody and can't control a situation, if they want to dash into McDonald's after a 2-3 hour shopping expedition, to assuage hunger pangs fast, I'll just say nah, you go there, I'm going over there to Wendy's (these fast food places are always clustered near each other), and we can meet back here afterwards. When I explain the difference in ingredients and options, usually the other person will do what I do, go where I go.

Wendy's has what I want, and has shown responsiveness to changing consumer preferences. You can replace the sandwich bun with lettuce, and they use plenty of it. When they first started offering that, they didn't use enough lettuce and you'd have a drippy burger, but they've gotten better. You can get a plain baked potato, which is fine for me with just salt and pepper, but the hungrier person can get it with sour cream or grated cheddar, maybe both, or they can get the french fries they were thinking about in the first place, or the chicken nuggets, whatever they were craving. Wendy's has five kinds of salads.

When there's a Jimmy John's near the McDonald's, that's where I'll split off or convince the other person to go with me. JJ's has the best lettuce wrap sandwich in the world IMO (the "unwich"), but they don't do much in the way of fried accompaniments, nuggets and that sort of thing. They do have potato salad and pasta salad, potato chips, desserts, but all I need is their veggie sandwich in a lettuce wrap. They have a tuna salad sandwich or unwich too.

Anyway, my latest rampage is to get seed oils out of my diet. I'm not counting sunflower oil, because you can eat sunflower seeds and they're good for you. Peanut oil too, pure from peanuts, but you can't eat safflower or canola or cotton seed. You can probably lubricate your car engine with them. Those oils are implicated in inflammation, the number one health concern of our times. I have some frozen organic french fries and tots in the freezer, but those will be the last because, with disappointment, I read the labels and see canola oil in all of them. So why would I walk into McD and pick up seed oil french fries, seed oil nuggets or any of that?

Is there GMO in the food chain at Wendy's and Jimmy John's? I don't know, probably so, but I don't get fast food very often, and have to rest on the idea of making the best choices available. Sometimes our local chain Bill Millers Barbecue will be the likely suspect near the McDonald's. OMG, and great choices for the other person too.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not counting sunflower oil, because you can eat sunflower seeds and they're good for you.
I have always heard /read that it's the processing temperatures that make what one would think would be good oil bad and but is still very inflammatory to your system making them bad for you.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's a great tasting meal that only has 456 calories and is very tasty

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have always heard /read that it's the processing temperatures that make what one would think would be good oil bad and but is still very inflammatory to your system making them bad for you.

Yes, but you can get expeller pressed, which is mechanical and creates some heat through friction, but adds no chemicals; or you can get cold pressed.

https://latourangelle.com/blogs/general/what-is-expeller-pressed-oil

In my experience the organic labeled ones are always pressed without the high heat processing, and without adding chemicals. I only buy organic sunflower or avocado oil. Either kind lasts a long time if you don't do much deep frying, but just use the oil for saute or salad dressings and such.

I'm just separating sunflower and peanut oil from the seeds and oils that are inedible, horrible, not to mention the canola is probably not organic even if it is labeled "organic" due to pollen drift. Same goes for soybean oil. The organic certification process is only about agricultural methods, and does not test for the presence of GMO material in the product.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's something that may fit here but honestly they look great and I had to cheat and eat one
P1480145.JPG

These are your regular deviled eggs with the exception of NO MAYO. My wife made these, she replaced the (bad for you) Mayo with an avocado, everything else is the same

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These are your regular deviled eggs with the exception of NO MAYO. My wife made these, she replaced the (bad for you) Mayo with an avocado, everything else is the same

Green eggs, haha.

I think devilled eggs are definitely a diet trick. They are very filling and low in calories. The avo will drive up the calories some, but not any more than mayo would.

Those look delish.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hardboiled eggs r one of my specialties, lol.

What u made looks bad ass tho, r u saying u mixed the yolk with avo, or just added a dollop on top?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't know how many calories were in an average avo. but it will be much healthier to have avo than mayo

It's hard to get the calories of an "average" avocado, and size of a fruit is subject to the individual buyer's judgment, and then once cut open, it further depends on the size of the seed.

In various sources online it appears (approx.):

Small avocado: around 150-160 calories
Medium avocado: around 240-275 cal.
Large avocado: 300-350 cal.

Calories in mayo, various online sources give a range of from 57 to 100 calories per tablespoon, but you're going to use probably at least two tablespoons to devil a dozen eggs.

So the comparison of two tablespoons mayo to one small avocado for devilling a dozen eggs looks pretty close, and with salt I can imagine the avo would taste better.

I hardly ever make devilled eggs because I can't stand peeling a dozen eggs. The ready made devilled eggs at the grocery store say 120 per egg (two halves each @ 60 calories. That gives you a lot of calorie allowance to have them for lunch with crackers and fruit. One of my friends uses a mixture of mustard, curry powder, ketchup and pickle relish to make them, no mayo at all.

Besides all that, it bugs me to add mayo to eggs, because mayo is made from eggs. Except for the vegan mayo, which is good.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Me thinks this could be adapted to avocado egg salad. Something to try the next time I hard boil some eggs. My wife always has avocado around.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you ever tried puttin a teaspoon of olive oil on top your boilin water? It makes the shellin easy, egg slips right out ;)

I haven't tried that, but it's boring to stand at the sink and peel 12 or even just 6 eggs. Also I have a hard time judging how long to let them boil, so I tend to turn them into bouncy rubber balls.

VU Sponsors