Become a Patron!

Dented flat top

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have three flat top VTC4s. I went to change one out a little while ago, and noticed that there was a dent in the flat top, over 5mm deep I would say. I'd guess it's from when it got knocked off the table due to my own carelessness. It was vaping fine after the incident, but now I'm quite nervous about charging or using this battery what with the dented flat top.

Should I even attempt to repair it or just retire it?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What he said ^^^^

You can purchase the Samusung 25R batteries pretty cheap.

And you get 2500 mAh with 20 amps continuous.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dented_battery.png

That's it. I think what happened is that when it got knocked off the table, about 3'-3'6" up, the battery was still stuck to the button. When it hit the hardwood floor, drip tip first, I'm guessing the shock of hitting the floor broke the battery free, and it continued falling at the same rate that the rest of the 1/2lb mod had been falling for all of a couple millimeters before hitting the positive contact pin at a significant velocity.

What he said ^^^^

You can purchase the Samusung 25R batteries pretty cheap.

And you get 2500 mAh with 20 amps continuous.

Thanks for the rec, but I'm going to be buying about eight VTC4s soon. I'm going to marry three pairs for a box mod I'm planning on building. The other two would go to my tube mods.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely recycle that one. I did this when I dropped my fuhattan. It landed on the firing button and slammed the battery into the pin. I checked it immediately because I've heard horror stories, and it was deeeeep.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely recycle that one. I did this when I dropped my fuhattan. It landed on the firing button and slammed the battery into the pin. I checked it immediately because I've heard horror stories, and it was deeeeep.

Yep. It's going for a recycling soon. Glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to with the FUhattan though.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Same thing just happened to one of my new he4's. Cat knocked my smpl off of the kitchen counter onto the tile floor. Small dent in the smpl where the button screws in, and the he4 inside got mangled. Flat top is completely recessed, and my wrapper is compressed like yours is, but way worse.

Time for more batteries. Too bad I only got about 2 weeks out of that one before destroying it.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same thing just happened to one of my new he4's. Cat knocked my smpl off of the kitchen counter onto the tile floor. Small dent in the smpl where the button screws in, and the he4 inside got mangled. Flat top is completely recessed, and my wrapper is compressed like yours is, but way worse.

Time for more batteries. Too bad I only got about 2 weeks out of that one before destroying it.

Yeah. I mean, the FUhattan is fine. The mod has hit the floor so many times it's not even funny. It's only been a problem this time because the battery stuck to the magnet all the way down until it hit the floor so physics happened. The FUhattan itself though is almost indestructible.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dropped my smpl today while getting out of the car which put a few nice deep gouges in the side of the tube. Battery is fine this time though, luckily, I guess. Glad it's a $40 clone. Try as I might, I just can't have anything nice without destroying the shit out of everything, evey time, even while being careful. Fml

ryan_crable

Member For 5 Years
Holy shit! That's not even the battery case that is dented! It's a nice little tab that's on top of the cell. You either get a flat top or button top tab on a battery. I'd use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dropped my smpl today while getting out of the car which put a few nice deep gouges in the side of the tube. Battery is fine this time though, luckily, I guess. Glad it's a $40 clone. Try as I might, I just can't have anything nice without destroying the shit out of everything, evey time, even while being careful. Fml

Missed this post. The reason this happens every time with the FUhattan is that the two pins don't have flared tops for battery contact. They're more narrow than any other pin I've seen. Thus when they fall more force is applied to a smaller area.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's the one aspect of Sony's I find lacking. They have a fairly fragile positive terminal, with only three tabs attaching it to the battery. LG's have four tabs, and they're just more robust. If you need the amps, though, there isn't much choice.

I don't think you need to hear this, but I agree with everyone, toss that thing. Dispose of it properly, rather.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's the one aspect of Sony's I find lacking. They have a fairly fragile positive terminal, with only three tabs attaching it to the battery. LG's have four tabs, and they're just more robust. If you need the amps, though, there isn't much choice.

I don't think you need to hear this, but I agree with everyone, toss that thing. Dispose of it properly, rather.

I've already disposed of it.

VU Sponsors