Become a Patron!

Could someboy explain joules to me?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello, I currently have a sig75TC, but due to the nickel, I can only use it in power mode. Now, when I used it in TC mode, I select a wattage, and the temperature.

In the mod I ordered today, you set the temp, then set the joules. I understand that the joules is how quick it will reach my chosen temperature, so I guess it will be 30 and above I use.

I just wondered, is the watts and joules basically the same, just one is named different? Like if I set my sig to 400F, at 20 watts it would take ages to get there, at 50 watts it gets there I guess immediately from the amount of vapour and the taste.

i just wondered why IPV use joules, and sigelei uses watts.

It would be great if someone can explain what the joules are if I am wrong.

Thanks again everyone that helps me, Conan.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Joule is another unit of measurement, in this case its basically W/s(watts per second)
Theres more to it than that but it basically boils down to yihi avoiding a lawsuit by calling watts, joules in temp mode

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you have ever had a chemistry class, joules are a measurement of energy on the si scale. They are not watts but can be converted. There's a formula and it kind tricky. I'd imagine joules play a direct role in how resistance, ohms and temp control are calculated

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Joule is another unit of measurement, in this case its basically W/s(watts per second)
Theres more to it than that but it basically boils down to yihi avoiding a lawsuit by calling watts, joules in temp mode
Really? My sigelei uses watts in temp mode, but that is their own chip isn't it? Who are they avoiding a lawsuit from? I didn't think the Chinese companies really cared about laws lol, if it exists, they will have a copy out about an hour before the real thing is released lol.

So, it is basically 1 watt per second of energy? I guess the higher the joules, the faster it will reach my chosen temp? Does this mean it is only a 50 watt unit in TC mode and not 75?

Also, what titanium should I buy to use in this? I want to use titanium as nickel gives me a bit of a sore throat, nothing awful but it is bloody annoying. If I could avoid that with titanium, I would be very happy. I have watched video reviews, and it does 'ni200' and 'Ti 01' so I guess that might be what I am looking for?

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just brought some sweet spot titanium and they sent it really fast. I can only vouch for them. Gotta be sure to clean it too before you wrap it

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Really? My sigelei uses watts in temp mode, but that is their own chip isn't it? Who are they avoiding a lawsuit from? I didn't think the Chinese companies really cared about laws lol, if it exists, they will have a copy out about an hour before the real thing is released lol.

So, it is basically 1 watt per second of energy? I guess the higher the joules, the faster it will reach my chosen temp? Does this mean it is only a 50 watt unit in TC mode and not 75?

Also, what titanium should I buy to use in this? I want to use titanium as nickel gives me a bit of a sore throat, nothing awful but it is bloody annoying. If I could avoid that with titanium, I would be very happy. I have watched video reviews, and it does 'ni200' and 'Ti 01' so I guess that might be what I am looking for?
Can't help ya with the TI, stuff makes everything taste like dogs ass to me,
That lawsuit thing was rumor back when the sx first came out. The reality is its just another unit for energy and/or power. and yes just like anything else the higher the number the faster the ramp up. BUT, keep in mind TC as a name is a misnomer, its temp limiting, there is no thermostat, its basically like a governor and not allowing the temp to go over that line, not hold you at the line. If that makes any sense. the board in the sig 75 is an osmodus board, its the same one from the snowwolf, neither of which I know much about, other than I've used a buddies but not enough to speak on the board or how it works

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hope I don't vape some dog ass. I'm shortly gonna build my first ti coil. Not looking forward to that

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I hope I don't vape some dog ass. I'm shortly gonna build my first ti coil. Not looking forward to that
Babahaha - myself and a couple of other people have had similar experiences, I thinks its kid of like how some people get an off taste from Nichrome, I don't get any flavor change with ni80, but for some reason Ti really does remind of dog turds... or maybe drinking beer through a tampon- and I've tried 4 different variations of ti.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello, I currently have a sig75TC, but due to the nickel, I can only use it in power mode. Now, when I used it in TC mode, I select a wattage, and the temperature.

In the mod I ordered today, you set the temp, then set the joules. I understand that the joules is how quick it will reach my chosen temperature, so I guess it will be 30 and above I use.

I just wondered, is the watts and joules basically the same, just one is named different? Like if I set my sig to 400F, at 20 watts it would take ages to get there, at 50 watts it gets there I guess immediately from the amount of vapour and the taste.

i just wondered why IPV use joules, and sigelei uses watts.

It would be great if someone can explain what the joules are if I am wrong.

Thanks again everyone that helps me, Conan.

You can use Ti on the Sigelei - you just have to set the temp much lower. I start at 300F and work up!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can use Ti on the Sigelei - you just have to set the temp much lower. I start at 300F and work up!
Thanks Amanda, you made me aware in another thread, but I really wanted this mod due to its size and power, plus the Ti mode built in just makes it easier to get to the right temperature. I ordered some of the Ni 01 wire last night, should be shipped on Monday. If it is, it will arrive the same day as the mod. I hope it does, as nickel definitely irritates my throat, vaping the same level on kanthal does not, so for now I have gone back to power mode, and am using kanthal.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Babahaha - myself and a couple of other people have had similar experiences, I thinks its kid of like how some people get an off taste from Nichrome, I don't get any flavor change with ni80, but for some reason Ti really does remind of dog turds... or maybe drinking beer through a tampon- and I've tried 4 different variations of ti.
Not having sampled dog turds, although I have drunk a beer soaked tampon (It was clean you sickos lol) I really hope I do not experience this. So, it is either a sore throat or dog turd flavours? I am thinking sod this Temp control crap and just vape in power mode.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not having sampled dog turds, although I have drunk a beer soaked tampon (It was clean you sickos lol) I really hope I do not experience this. So, it is either a sore throat or dog turd flavours? I am thinking sod this Temp control crap and just vape in power mode.
One thing I've noticed is THE FEW of us with the TI/dog ass taste are fine on Ni200, the people with the Ni200 issues are fine on Ti. I've not seen anyone have taste issues on both.

**also I've only spoken to handful of people with the Ti issue, so it is a VERY UNCOMMON thing. Im starting to think my hypersensitivity might be psychological; because, I have quite a bit of it holding me together from past injuries. Or maybe im coocoo for coco puffs

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing I've noticed is THE FEW of us with the TI/dog ass taste are fine on Ni200, the people with the Ni200 issues are fine on Ti. I've not seen anyone have taste issues on both.

**also I've only spoken to handful of people with the Ti issue, so it is a VERY UNCOMMON thing. Im starting to think my hypersensitivity might be psychological; because, I have quite a bit of it holding me together from past injuries. Or maybe im coocoo for coco puffs
Ahh, Ni200 tastes weird to me and gives me a sore throat. I hope the TItanium works fine for me, as I really don't want to be vaping dog ass flavour. If not I will buy standard mods without temp control lol.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And remember I had that issue with the 24 gauge but not the 26 gauge Ti. I can only think it was something to do with my connection (although I made at least 4 coils) in the STM!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And remember I had that issue with the 24 gauge but not the 26 gauge Ti. I can only think it was something to do with my connection (although I made at least 4 coils) in the STM!
Yeah I remember that! After you got it sorted out I went and bought 24,26 and 28 from 2 different vendors and had the same issue with all of it. I sent some to a buddy of mine and he hasn't had any taste issue. So, I know its just me.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'd give it another go - remember you were getting sick at the time!
Listen to the lady, lol
Seriously if you were coming down with something, I would suggest the same. That can really play into alot. When im feeling like crapola all I can vape is the menthol. And I hate the menthol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been vaping menthol home made juice-gotta say, it really helped! I tried it today, no sore throat, no bad tastes, just worried about my batteries as seeing as low as 1.2V made me worry about amp draw.

I have emailed Sigelei and IPV for an explanation, if it takes what is left in the battery, stores in a capacitor then up/downsteps, or pulls straight from battery to chip, if it does that, it is pulling like 24 amps at 30 watts! Go higher it can even break the 40A barrier, so can not be working this way, as units would be blowing up left, right and centre lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I already found the sig power mode is better. The IPV can't step down, 20 watts power mode is important to me to use with a tank! There is a workaround though, set it to temp mode, the mod detects kanthal so does not work TC but does fire normally, and use the joules as you would watts. If I want more than 50, go to power as it steps up, just not down!

The chinese have made it so 1 joule is exactly one watt after doing some research. They have done it wrong, but a joule is a watt on those devices, only done to avoid lawsuits, so if I want 20 watts, choose 20 joules, the battery wont jump around, and I can use it.

Annoying I have to use a workaround though to use the device, but at least there is one. If there wasn't I was getting rid of it as soon as I got it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the toppers you're using you have no need to worry about your batteries (I seem to remember you have sammies?) in a regulated device. I suspect you're overthinking things:p:eek::D

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the toppers you're using you have no need to worry about your batteries (I seem to remember you have sammies?) in a regulated device. I suspect you're overthinking things:p:eek::D
You are right, I definitelyover think things lol. But I am worried it is pulling 24+ amps from the battery lol, if I knew how regulation worked, I would feel a lot better. But I do overthink, that is why I was a very anxious person and had problems, things most people would not think of, I would lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope I like Titanium, I have some 01 coming, with its higher resistance there are some builds I want to try with TC. I noticed it is more expensive than kanthal and nickel though, about 3 times the price?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope I like Titanium, I have some 01 coming, with its higher resistance there are some builds I want to try with TC. I noticed it is more expensive than kanthal and nickel though, about 3 times the price?

Not necessarily. I paid $10 for 35 feet of 26 gauge. Spider Silk, for instance, is incredibly expensive, but you can find Ti wire for much less.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not necessarily. I paid $10 for 35 feet of 26 gauge. Spider Silk, for instance, is incredibly expensive, but you can find Ti wire for much less.
Ahh, thats not bad. It cost me £5 for 10 meters, so about 30 feet, of 26 gauge, as that is what I will use the most using the calculator. But for £5 of kanthal you get about 30 meters.

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watts is a unit of power. A joule is a unit of energy. Although you cannot convert one to another, you can figure out the amount used (i.e. 90 joules used for 3 sec. = 30 watts). Joules/time = wattage used

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got 26 gauge Ti 01 as I could make singe coils with this, and also duals, the singles are only 4 wraps, the duals 8, so seemed perfect for my needs. I hope they post today aswell, and then tommorow (Its only turned monday 45 minutes ago lol, so two more sleeps till I get the device. I can not wait, I'm sure I get a rush from getting vaping equipment!

This, then one more SOLID box mod, maybe a dual parallel batttery box mod for something different, then mechs for me.

You can not regulate a mech, Tube and springs, and not much to go wrong/can be repaired yourself makes them perfect for me. I do hope to at least get a few years from my regulated Mods though, I should at least get that shouldn't I?

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just brought some sweet spot titanium and they sent it really fast. I can only vouch for them. Gotta be sure to clean it too before you wrap it
I can also vouch for em. Not to argue about cleaning and I would suggest it but they claim:
"Ti wire is made from a custom metallurgical process, that was developed with our foundry and drawing facility. Ti wire contains NO chromium or nickel. The wire is made from certified medical grade titanium and undergoes a proprietary vacuum annealing process. This removes unwanted oxygen impurities (during drawing) and allows for the most consistent heating possible. Ti wire will NOT form any harmful chromium, nickel or iron oxides, and therefore the flavor of your liquid remains completely pure. Additionally ALL of our wire is cleaned in an ultrasonic/steam bath, using food safe degreaser, followed by a rinse in distilled water."
Hijack over

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Titanium does not taste like dogs ass to me, and also is a fine vape. If I was only allowed 2 vapes, it would be the IPV d2 and the SIgelei 150.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can also vouch for em. Not to argue about cleaning and I would suggest it but they claim:
"Ti wire is made from a custom metallurgical process, that was developed with our foundry and drawing facility. Ti wire contains NO chromium or nickel. The wire is made from certified medical grade titanium and undergoes a proprietary vacuum annealing process. This removes unwanted oxygen impurities (during drawing) and allows for the most consistent heating possible. Ti wire will NOT form any harmful chromium, nickel or iron oxides, and therefore the flavor of your liquid remains completely pure. Additionally ALL of our wire is cleaned in an ultrasonic/steam bath, using food safe degreaser, followed by a rinse in distilled water."
Hijack over
Hang on, I need to clean the titanium? Why is this? I have not been doing this. Now is probably when I find out I have been vaping arsenic covered coils and will die in 4 days lol.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Titanium does not taste like dogs ass to me, and also is a fine vape. If I was only allowed 2 vapes, it would be the IPV d2 and the SIgelei 150.
Still foreign to me but I am enjoying it. Num Nums :)

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hang on, I need to clean the titanium? Why is this? I have not been doing this. Now is probably when I find out I have been vaping arsenic covered coils and will die in 4 days lol.
Manufacturing process. For safety, clean all hardware and wire.

rotax

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have used nickle on my evic and also got a sore throat then went to ti and i like it.

VU Sponsors