Become a Patron!

Correct Batteries - Low Ohms - New Regulated Mod

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will likely pick up a couple VTC5As to have available should I be trying some lower resistance builds. And I suppose I could do my own general test to see which last longer. If the difference in the amount of run time or actual hits on the device isn't extreme it shouldn't be an issue. I mean if we're talking 10-15 pulls on the device that's not much difference really. I guess the main difference is the price at this point. But the price for only a couple batteries to have the option to use lower resistance builds would be worth it IMO.

Just out of curiosity what would most regulated mods do if the power rating was exceeded? Not that I would ever vape that high but let's just say I was using two HG2's at 200W. Would the batteries get warm? Would the mod just give an error and not fire? Would there be the possibility of the batteries venting?

Remember the resistance doesn't matter with a regulated mod like we said before- build at 0.1 or 1 Ohm, run it at 100W, and the amp load will be exactly the same on your batteries :) , so don't choose batteries based on your resistance with a regulated mod, only the power you intend to run them at.

I would also choose based on price, and how far you are going to push things power wise an choose a battery with a suitable CDR. Usually something like the 25R or HE4 is available at a great price, then the HG2 and 30Q's are also good value. Capacity is also a bonus if you aren't pushing insane power levels.
The Sony's are fantastic but usually slightly more expensive, but not by much so may be worth it.

It is a lot more than 10-15 pulls from what I have found with my regulated mods, it is the difference between the mod lasting me either until evening or the whole day.

If you exceeded the CDR by a large amount, the best thing that could happen is the voltage sags so much you will get a weak battery message. Worst case you have a bomb in your hand. So always best to stay within their limits.
If it is by a little, it will likely work, but you are stressing the batteries past their design, which is not good.

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK ... Thanks for the replies. I would never vape at that wattage but I was just wondering what the dangers were. Another reason I was asking is that the Evic Primo 2.0 uses only 2 batteries but states that it goes up to 228 watts. I would never be using it that high but the ABILITY to easily do so with a pair of 18650 batteries that aren't suited for it could be a potential problem. What if the wattage increase button gets accidentally pressed and puts your mod up to the maximum?

I did notice on the website though that their recommendation is 'Battery using: dual married high-rate 18650 cells (continues discharge current >= 25A)' So if this is the mod I decide to go with I'd likely opt for the VTC5A's just to be on the safe side.

BTW - They really need better translations on their website! ;)

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually I just looked and they suggest the same for the single battery Primo Mini mod that goes to 80W.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK ... Thanks for the replies. I would never vape at that wattage but I was just wondering what the dangers were. Another reason I was asking is that the Evic Primo 2.0 uses only 2 batteries but states that it goes up to 228 watts. I would never be using it that high but the ABILITY to easily do so with a pair of 18650 batteries that aren't suited for it could be a potential problem. What if the wattage increase button gets accidentally pressed and puts your mod up to the maximum?

I did notice on the website though that their recommendation is 'Battery using: dual married high-rate 18650 cells (continues discharge current >= 25A)' So if this is the mod I decide to go with I'd likely opt for the VTC5A's just to be on the safe side.

If you did accidentally do this, a quick press of the button won't result in the mod turning into a bomb, but I can understand your worry. You would soon notice vaping that high trust me.

200W+ is asking a lot from 2 18650's, 228W is asking for 40+A with efficiency factored in, so a lot from your batteries.

The VTC5A will be a good choice to stay on the safe side, and also to give you the ability to use a wide range of power. They really do need better translators, not just Joyetech- I remember the manual for my IPV3LI said 45A batteries! Not only was these not available/do not exist, at 165W it would be nowhere near this level lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually I just looked and they suggest the same for the single battery Primo Mini mod that goes to 80W.
That makes sense- 80/3.1=25.8A. This is before efficiency, and 3.1V is a fairly common cut off point.

160W would work out the same for a dual 18650 mod- 228W is far beyond any 18650.

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you did accidentally do this, a quick press of the button won't result in the mod turning into a bomb, but I can understand your worry. You would soon notice vaping that high trust me.

200W+ is asking a lot from 2 18650's, 228W is asking for 40+A with efficiency factored in, so a lot from your batteries.

The VTC5A will be a good choice to stay on the safe side, and also to give you the ability to use a wide range of power. They really do need better translators, not just Joyetech- I remember the manual for my IPV3LI said 45A batteries! Not only was these not available/do not exist, at 165W it would be nowhere near this level lol.

Well that's certainly good to know. I've been using the HG2's in the VTC Dual (75/150W) without any issues although I never go up to the max. I usually vape in Temp mode and have on occasion had the temp ramped up to max without my knowledge. But of course the wattage has only been at 25-35W. So I think it's probably best to get at least the VTC5A's should I decide to go with either of these mods. Gives a bit of a safety net. :D

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that's certainly good to know. I've been using the HG2's in the VTC Dual (75/150W) without any issues although I never go up to the max. I usually vape in Temp mode and have on occasion had the temp ramped up to max without my knowledge. But of course the wattage has only been at 25-35W. So I think it's probably best to get at least the VTC5A's should I decide to go with either of these mods. Gives a bit of a safety net. :D

I mostly use TC myself too, and usually am around 30-50W or so. I do sometimes use power mode, and when I fancy going a bit mad 80-120W.

150W is much more realistic for a dual 18650 regulated mod, and even if you did run the mod at full power, things would be OK, even with the HG2. It is over CDR, but from Mooch's tests it is OK.

The VTC5A will give you even more of a safety net though as you say, and if you do want too it will perform better at higher power levels :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

On both my Wismec RX2/3 and my Wismec RX300 mod I turn on the "key lock" feature to prevent accidental up/down button presses, and I power off the mod to prevent accidental firing. (The user manual of these mods also states to use only above 25 amp batteries so I also prefer to stick with the VTC5A, for consistent strong performance plus peace of mind and for the added joy of winding up on the naysayers' ignore lists. lol)

VU Sponsors