Become a Patron!

confused about ohm's and relation to watts???

I have been using an itaste mvp 2.0 with a kayfun lite. My coil was a 30 gauge kanthal wrapped with 7/8 wraps for a 2.0 ohm coil. I just purchased an IPV D2 75 watt mod with temp control. I'm wanting to lower the ohms on my coil but not sure how to set this all up. Normally I would run my mvp at 8.5 watts in wattage mode with the 2.0 ohm coil. I wrapped a coil with 3/4 wraps with the 30 gauge kanthal and lowered the ohms to 1.2. Figured half the wraps with same gauge would be half the ohms! The problem is what to set the watts at? Tried twice the usual watts since it was half the ohms and it burned my wick instantly. It's my thinking off on all of this? Can someone enlighten me please?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Generally when you lower resistance (ohms) you need to raise watts to get the same heat in your vapor and same or better cloud production.

You will probably want to get lower resistance wire like 28 or 26 gauge kanthal for the kayfun to hit 0.8 to 1.0 ohms.

Also some nickel (I think titanium is also an option for the D2) wire in 28g tempered to enjoy temp control.

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As with any build start off low and bump up the watts to your desired sweet spot..you'll avoid burning the wick every time..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Generally when you lower resistance (ohms) you need to raise watts to get the same heat in your vapor and same or better cloud production.

You will probably want to get lower resistance wire like 28 or 26 gauge kanthal for the kayfun to hit 0.8 to 1.0 ohms.

Also some nickel (I think titanium is also an option for the D2) wire in 28g tempered to enjoy temp control.
Thank you for the info, That helps. I'll get some bigger gauge wire. Also, Do I have to use a higher VG juice if I go sub ohm? I am more concerned with flavor than I am with blowing big clouds. I really don't even care if there is a cloud as long as I get my nicotine and it tastes good.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't have to use higher vg, that's just preference. Higher vg is more gentle on the throat hit, less harsh than a higher pg juice. More clouds go along with that but I vape 60%-70% vg just because I like a smoother vape.

If you're into flavor, temp control is your gig. You can dial in a consistent heat that you find best for the juice that your vaping.

The kayfun may or may not work great with temp control since there are so many connections between the battery and the coil posts but for a couple bucks worth of Nickel wire, it's worth trying out. The kayfun won't be your last aty purchased so you can use the Ni wire on the next one ;)

You may even want 26g tempered Ni wire if building single coil to hit 0.065 ohms for the D2... pretty sure that goes down to 0.05 in temp mode. 28 is a safe choice though, can use in single or dual coils.

Last edited:
You don't have to use higher vg, that's just preference. Higher vg is more gentle on the throat hit, less harsh than a higher pg juice. More clouds go along with that but I vape 60%-70% vg just because I like a smoother vape.

If you're into flavor, temp control is your gig. You can dial in a consistent heat that you find best for the juice that your vaping.

The kayfun may or may not work great with temp control since there are so many connections between the battery and the coil posts but for a couple bucks worth of Nickel wire, it's worth trying out. The kayfun won't be your last aty purchased so you can use the Ni wire on the next one ;)

You may even want 26g tempered Ni wire if building single coil to hit 0.065 ohms for the D2... pretty sure that goes down to 0.05 in temp mode. 28 is a safe choice though, can use in single or dual coils.
Thanks again. Really great info. I'm just getting started with the sub ohm builds and have been reading to the point of info over load. Figured to just jump in yesterday so I went and bought the D2. Looks like I need to get some different wire first.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, don't worry about making the "perfect coil". It's almost impossible to screw them up. I have made some ugly coils make some great clouds. :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, you're past the expensive part and on to the small stuff now ;)
Lightning vapes has free shipping on wire (maybe more stuff too, dont know) so you can order a 25ft spool for a few bucks and not kill yourself with $5 shipping. I just order as needed and it comes in a few days.

Youtube is your friend for learning how to wrap coils.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Rip Tripper has a good video for Ni200 coil build, which shows a nice trick, in order to get even spacing in between the wraps. I used that trick for Kanthal A1 as well, and it worked.
If I'm not mistaken it's this one

Jasen

Member For 5 Years
There's also this method for wrapping spaced coils, although I've never done it. I believe there is an example of this somewhere in this thread
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/post-your-builds.737/page-20

Hmm won't post my pic, it's the wrapping your wire around a screw trick

ba92b79e-966c-4aa3-bd83-e94197f48418_zpskutwcreo.jpg

You guys have been great. Excellent info. I ordered some 28 ga nickel and I'm going to watch some videos read a couple of more articles then give it a shot. I've also been looking at a kanger sub tank instead of my kayfun to build on. Any opinions on the sub tank or another RTA for temp control builds.

Last edited:
So after some reading and YouTube videos, I am thinking of using the 28 g nikel and wrapping it around a 2.5mm bit and doing 12 wraps. Hoping that will give me some where around 0.15 - 0.2 ohms. Does this sound right? Also what is anyone's opinion on straight nikel or doing a twist? I am also wondering about how to decide what temp and watts to start at. Any more info would be much appreciated.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I tried using that and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but it kept telling me I needed 127 wraps.
I usually start by entering the targeted resistance, then the type of wire, the gauge, and ID. However, consider the results to be a guideline.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That resistance will work but I target 0.065 and usually end up between 0.07 and 0.06... sometimes right at 0.065 by luck :) But I am good anywhere within that range.

Yihi says 0.065 is optimal for their chip and I have to agree, I don't like coils much higher than 0.1 with temp control. Prebuilt coils for subohm tanks, no choice they are 0.1 and higher but if I am building the coil, 0.065.

Thats why I have 26 & 28 gauge. Roughly 8-9 wraps on a 2.5mm rod for dual coil with 28g and 8-9 for single coil with 26g.

VU Sponsors