Become a Patron!

Concerned vapor

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey vapors I was looking through ecf the other day and came across this from ecf. This concerns me, I posted this in some other places and got zero answers. Anybody else have a concern about this.

Caution: flavourings

Food-grade flavouring compounds are, by definition, not tested for inhalation. There are likely to be health implications resulting from inhalation of some flavours, and right now we do not have a complete list of the problematic ones. At least one is known to be extremely hazardous to the lungs (diacetyl) and there is no reason to suspect it is an isolated case. Because too little is known about this aspect of vaping, ECF cannot advise you in detail on this issue; but we do know that as well as butter-popcorn the creamy, buttery, custard-type flavours will probably entail riskeven if diacetyl itself is absent(because this group of flavours has a question mark regarding safety).

This flavour group includes diacetyl, acetoin, and acetyl propionyl: the dairy, creamy flavours. Realistically, we do not know if there are any safe flavours for inhalation in this group.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hi, i understand your concern. but anything we are inhaling in e-juice is probably harmless compared to the hundreds of toxins found in cigarette smoke. i remember awhile back there was a big hubbub about cinnamon in e-juice. some of the vendors even discontinued all their juices containing cinnamon....until it was finally discovered it was much ado about nothing.

of course, we will do everything we can to avoid sucking bad things into our lungs, so obviously stay away from any juice that contains diacetyl. but i think a lot of the scare tactics about e-juice are perpetrated by BT and ANTZ. just sayin'.....

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you. I was just trying to get clarification on why all of a sudden a post comes up like that on ecf

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl are chemicals used to replace diacetyl. There were studies done that question whether they too have the same safety concerns as diacetyl. They both can produce small amounts of naturally occurring diacetyl under the right circumstances. Whether or not they are to be avoided is up in the air right now, but some people choose to avoid them anyway.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can see this being used as a selling point.

Our juice contains no diacetyl

Kinda like the "No MSG" on the doors of some Chinese take-out joints.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Of course we should all be concerned about what we inhale of ingest.

ECF is going above and beyond to cover their asses.

My body is a temple!

angkor-wat-temple-ruins-ancient-times-original-photomatix-hdr-photo.jpg

Sure its a freaking mess but still its a bloody temple!

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can see this being used as a selling point.

Our juice contains no diacetyl

Kinda like the "No MSG" on the doors of some Chinese take-out joints.
From where do you get your flavors?

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So if it is naturally occurring in certain instances then I could assume all flavor juice contain a trace. Or is it just cream flavors. Cause I hooked on unicorn milk by cutwood which is a creamy strawberry flavor.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl are chemicals used to replace diacetyl. There were studies done that question whether they too have the same safety concerns as diacetyl. They both can produce small amounts of naturally occurring diacetyl under the right circumstances. Whether or not they are to be avoided is up in the air right now, but some people choose to avoid them anyway.
Avoid them how? Don't vape any creamy/buttery flavors

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are certain (two) flavor companies that test for these three chemicals (known as "custard notes") and release the results of those tests. FlavourArt (FA) and The Flavor Apprentice (TFA). FA actually has a section of their website called "E-Cigarette" and the flavors in that section don't contain ANY of the custard notes. Not even small amounts. TFA lets you know the flavors that contain any of the custard notes, which allows you to decide whether or not you want to take a chance on those chemicals. I, personally, don't. I'm going for harm-reduction, so I avoid those flavors with custard notes.

vinnyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are certain (two) flavor companies that test for these three chemicals (known as "custard notes") and release the results of those tests. FlavourArt (FA) and The Flavor Apprentice (TFA). FA actually has a section of their website called "E-Cigarette" and the flavors in that section don't contain ANY of the custard notes. Not even small amounts. TFA lets you know the flavors that contain any of the custard notes, which allows you to decide whether or not you want to take a chance on those chemicals. I, personally, don't. I'm going for harm-reduction, so I avoid those flavors with custard notes.
So what flavors do you actually vape. Fruity, tobacco?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mostly vape fruity, but I also vape Cinnamon Roll.

Thankfully, FA and TFA actually have a few dairy and custard flavors WITHOUT the "custard notes"...somehow.

So my ADVs are Strawberries 'n' Cream and, again, Cinnamon Roll. I'm working on a Lemon Meringue Pie.

I don't do tobaccos.

VU Sponsors