Become a Patron!

completely new to vapes

So I'll start off by saying I know almost nothing about vaping with RDA's. I have only ever used friends setups so everything looks alien to me. I'm extremely interested in learning how to vape correctly.
A friend of mine left for Europe the other day and he left me his old "RDA" mod? I've been trying to figure it out through YouTube videos because sadly no one in my area uses vapes.
So I'm sitting here looking at what he gave me and I am not quite sure where to start so I'll list some of the parts I can make out.
There's a stainless steel tube that says cartel limited edition (silver).
A eFest 2000 imr18650 red battery.
Attached to the top for the steel tube is a cylinder that says plume veil, it has two slits, and six holes for airflow. Inside the plum veil piece there is two sets of coils (6wraps) with cotton between them.
On top of that is a a metal mouth piece.
And of course a charger .
So basicly I know that's a lot, but I want to make what I have work because I heard these aren't super cheap. My question is , am I missing anything nessesary ? Is there anything I should get? If anyone has instructions that pertain to this device that would be awesome.
Also are any of these parts interchangeable with a clearomizer attachment ?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Zamazam, @UncleRJ, @5150sick

Hopefully, someone will be along momentarily to help you more. I know what you have, but I'm more into regulated devices. Mech mods are foreign to me. Sounds like he left you with a nice set up, though!

There's a Plume Veil thread around here, lemme go see if I can find it for you.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
be sure to charge the battery fully and put it in positive (+) end first.
the negative should be on the bottom where the cap goes on.

what kind of markings are on the metal tube part (the MOD)?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, first of all, Welcome to the Underground!

I hope I do not come off as some kind of "Elitist Prick" but it sounds like you are newer than new to vaping.

No big deal was we all start out somewhere.

I am sure that your friend had your best interest at heart when he left his gear for you to enjoy in his absence, but it rahter sounds like you should have said, Thanks but No Thanks!

The gear he left for you sounds like it is top notch indeed.

But it is meant for an advanced user as you would need to know the limitations of the battery you have, have the knowledge and the supplies you would need to build new coils and install wicking material and basically know everything your friend did.

And this kind of gear can actually hurt you if you do not know how to use it safely!

That being said, if you can find a brick and mortar shop near you, go in, and ask for a clearomizers and coils that you can use with a mech mod.

Get extra coils and an extra battery if you intend on using the device.

What I would really like you to do, is to put all of your friends gear in a box and give it back to him when he comes home and get a decent starter kit from the shop you are looking for.

After you digest all this and if you decide I am not a prick, let us know what your budget is for a starter kit and we will give you all of the help you need!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not going to quite go as far as @UncleRJ and say you shouldn't have this setup, but I will say there's a lot you need to learn before you vape on it, and there are a couple other purchases that need to be made before you do so.

First, every rebuilder NEEDS an ohm meter to check the resistance of their coils. this is not an option - go buy one and check that build before you even attempt to put a battery in the mod.

Second, those Efest batteries aren't exactly ideal - I'd recommend picking up a pair of Samsung 25R or LG HE2/HE4 cells - they're cheap, less than $13 for a pair.

Third, what kind of charger are you using? Lots of bad mishaps start with cheap chargers - unless it's an Efest LUC series, Nitecore Intellicharger or Digicharger, or Xtar, I'd recommend buying a charger as well.

All that said, you'd probably be safest starting with some kind of regulated mod and maybe a new-generation fill-and-vape clearomizer, though the Cartel/Plume Veil setup is definitely a good one for when you're ready to start building.

Here's my big post on all the questions you need to consider as a new user confronted by an advanced device - it includes plenty of helpful links to more good information I've collected from other posters as well:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Please give that a read and come back here with questions - if you decide to start with some more user-friendly gear, we'll be glad to help you out. If you're really insistent on giving the setup you've got a go, we'll do what we can to help you keep it as safe as possible...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
You would probably be OK just replacing the cotton once a week.
I only change my coils if absolutely necessary.
I've gone 3 or 4 months without changing them.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I'll start off by saying I know almost nothing about vaping with RDA's. I have only ever used friends setups so everything looks alien to me. I'm extremely interested in learning how to vape correctly.
A friend of mine left for Europe the other day and he left me his old "RDA" mod? I've been trying to figure it out through YouTube videos because sadly no one in my area uses vapes.
So I'm sitting here looking at what he gave me and I am not quite sure where to start so I'll list some of the parts I can make out.
There's a stainless steel tube that says cartel limited edition (silver).
A eFest 2000 imr18650 red battery.
Attached to the top for the steel tube is a cylinder that says plume veil, it has two slits, and six holes for airflow. Inside the plum veil piece there is two sets of coils (6wraps) with cotton between them.
On top of that is a a metal mouth piece.
And of course a charger .
So basicly I know that's a lot, but I want to make what I have work because I heard these aren't super cheap. My question is , am I missing anything nessesary ? Is there anything I should get? If anyone has instructions that pertain to this device that would be awesome.
Also are any of these parts interchangeable with a clearomizer attachment ?

@mezic ....Welcome to VU...I am glad you came here and decided to ask questions instead of just going for it and having something go wrong.

@OBDave 's beginner thread is a must for you to read and he is right about you needing new batteries and an ohm's meter before you even attempt to rebuild the top piece...which is an "RDA" or Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. Those work buy dripping some liquid onto the cotton and the coil and then firing the metal tube (which is a really nice Cartel Mod....it is a type of mod called a Mechanical Mod...that means there is no computer chips or safety devices in it whatsoever. It's just a steel tube with a button on the bottom that when you press the bottom it pushes a negative contact against the battery that is already touching a positive contact completing a basic electrical circuit causing the mod to fire. The only safety feature these types of mods have is the health and type of battery you are using and the knowledge in your brain so you need to read up on this equipment before you begin to really use it to avoid being unsafe. That's what the others are referring to safety wise.) RDA's hold very little liquid in them so you have to continually add a few drops every few vapes or the cotton will dry out and burn...once cotton burns it is ruined and will not wick and you have to replace it...also, after so much use you the cotton looses it's ability to wick and you have to replace it with fresh cotton. As a beginner I suggest you grab a pack of "Cotton Bacon." it's like 6 bucks for a bag of ten strips, it is the easiest cotton I have ever worked with and that little bag will last months.

The battery you have is a very old battery and probably has served your friend well but it needs to be recycled and replaced for safety's sake. I would recommend Samsung 20R's or 25R's or LG HE4's or LG HD2's...these are going to be fairly inexpensive and higher quality than that Efest battery and serve you much better.

You need to study up on battery safety and Ohm's law as well as rebuilding and basic mech use. If this sounds like alot it's because it is. And if it sounds too overwhelming in the beginning I don't blame you...there is a reason why we all recommend a tank setup with a regulated device in the beginning...so there is less to learn to get those up and running well and you can enjoy them while you learn more and then move on to advanced setups like the one you have...however...if you want to start with what you've got there is nothing wrong with that as long as you're willing to take the time to learn the knowledge to safely operate it.

You need to look for video's on youtube explaining ohm's law, battery safety, basic mech mod use, and coil building 101, and coil wicking 101. In addition to that I will link at the bottom of this message several other threads explain the basics of these topics and an ohm's law calculator and the steam engine coil building tool to help you out. I know this is a long message and there is a lot more to read but it is meant to look out for your best interest's and help you out. Please feel free to PM me or ask any questions you have here as I am sure the more you read up the more you have. Ih the mean time I wish you the best of luck and happy and safe vaping...if the cotton and coils look alright on the setup as is than you might as well drip a few drops and see if you like the vape off of it. Most new users find a setup like that too much for them anyways but it will at least give you an idea of what you like....but without more knowledge and an ohms meter DO NOT attempt to rebuild it on your own yet. Safety first and all the best :)

http://thelocust.net/ohm/ ----ohm's law calculator
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp ----Steam Engine Coil building tool
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/new-sort-of-to-vaping-and-want-huge-clouds.57203/#post-342138 ----info and introduction into "cloud chasing" and what's required for it
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/looking-for-the-best-sub-tanks-and-rda.73126/#post-428210 ----another introduction thread into sub ohm vaping and basic explaination of battery safety and touching on ohm's law
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/ --- @OBDave 's beginner's guide to vaping

I do realize its a lot to understand but I'm pretty determined to use this. I haven't had the chance to test it out yet but I plan on waiting for my ohms meter to come in. As far as connected pieces, is there there clearomizers for mech mods like mine? I feel like that would make it easier to start using rather then mastering the art of making coils .
Oh and my battery charger is a nitecore smart charger for who ever asked.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe look at something like a Kanger Subtank - easy to fill and vape, plus there's a rebuildable part for if you decide to get into that down the road. Also, ditch those batteries.

Thank you for buying an ohm meter, and for the reply on the charger - if it's a model i2, i4, d2, or d4 you're golden.

2491db03a446f5fdf90081a8dcbd7351.jpg

That's the charger I received as well I believe it's one that you approved
My friend who left the mods mentioned how the batteries were less then a month old. Would you still recommend I purchase a new battery?
Also I'm slightly confused , I thought since the mech mod I have is unregulated then any clearmizer wouldn't work / fit / become dangerous. Are there only certain clearnizors that work with mechs? Sorry I'm just trying to not spend extra money on parts that don't fit and aren't refundable . if you have any other recommendations I'm open to any ideas :) thanks for the speedy response

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, that's the i2 - was my first charger and I still have it around as a backup - you're good there.

The problem with those batteries isn't how old they are, it's that they only support a maximum discharge of 10 amp - at a full charge this limits you to using coils at about 0.4 ohm resistance while maxing the batteries out. I don't recommend maxing batteries out, as safety cushions are a good thing in case something goes wrong, you build wrong, your build somehow changes during the install, or there's simply a battery flaw (Efest is known to buy and re-wrap "seconds," or batteries that weren't deemed good enough in the manufacturer's eyes to even admit that they'd made them).

Your mod is dangerous if you use bad batteries (which I believe these Efests are), or if you build at too low a resistance - having a clearomizer doesn't determine whether or not your mod is dangerous, though if say, you were to get a Horizon Arctic clearo with a 0.2 ohm coil and put it on your mech your battery that can only support 0.4 ohm might explode or catch fire pretty quickly.

As far as what fits, you need something with 510 threads rather than eGo threads (there used to be lots of other types of threads, but these are far and away the most common). Here's a helpful pic from @The Ocelot (whose posts I kinda miss since I don't do the ECF anymore) to help you figure this one out:

ego_vs_510.jpg

Basically, you can use any clearomizer with 510, or male, threads to screw into that Cartel. Pull the Plume Veil off, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Again, the Kanger Subtank is a good starter for ease of use, decent clouds, and when you start experimenting with building your own coils you'll be able to do it with both a tank and the RDA you've already got.

Did you read the thread I linked you to earlier this week? Seriously, give it 15-20 minutes of your time and I think you'll at least be in a lot better place to continue asking questions...

Thanks @OBDave. I did read the thread you posted and it did clear up a few things for me. I ended driving to a headshop that sold mods and stuff like that and they told me I couldn't attach any clearomizer mods to my mech without blowing something up. I guess I just need to wait for my meter so I can follow a build tutorial or something.
Also, it seems like the battery is ment to go on backwards? As in the negative goes in first and the positive is at the bottom with the button. It doesn't screw in all the way if you put the positive side in first . do some of them go in backwards or am I doing something wrong . if you look at the picture I posted you see the screw button on the bottom to not be flush because it won't go in any further that way

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NOOOOO! Don't put the battery in backwards! Positive up ONLY!

Take the atty off the top, then remove the top cap - there should be a pin that extends from the 510 connector that you can tighten or loosen to either snug up a rattling battery or make room for one to fit with the bottom cap screwing in all the way. If the button has a spring in it, the screw holding the spring down might also be loose...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the Subtank you should be good to go if you're using the stock coils - they'll usually be close enough to tolerance to use...you should at least be fine with the 1.2 ohm right off the bat.

If you're going on a spending spree, @VapeSuperSaver has the Subtank Mini (the kind that will fit your mod and look flush) for $30 shipped, $42 with a pack of extra coils in case you don't take to the "build your own" aspect right away.

Lightningvapes.com has a pair of those Samsung batteries I've recommended (twice the power output and longer life than the Efests you've got) for less than $12 shipped when you use discount code LV15 at checkout - pick up 25' of 26 gauge Kanthal wire to start learning to build that Plume Veil for another $5 and you'll be set up good. VSS has the batteries too if you want to go for both in one stop, but they're a lot more expensive. Both vendors are among the best-priced for the items I've recommended from them, and they both ship super quick and have proven themselves customer service wise. Good luck!

Thanks so much you were extremely helpful I'll most def check out those sites to get those items. Can't wait to start, I'm sure you'll see me floating around the forums from here on out. Thanks again!!

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On top of all the great advice @OBDave has given you I am going to give you one more store to check out...

http://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...ers/batteries.html?___store=default&brand=244

These guys have both Samsung 25R's and LG HD2's on sale for 5 bucks each and give you a free case for every pair of batteries you buy. The LG HD2 is a 25 amp max continuous drain battery which is 5 amps higher than the 25R and 3 amps higher than the 20R which are the batteries I recommend the most. I don't know it's pulse limit, but I use them in my Sigelei 150 and they do well in that and will work well for your mech as well, they can handle loads nicely down to .2 without a problem so when you're ready to start building lower you've got a good battery with extra cushion and you can't beat 10 bucks for a pair.

These guys also have Sony VTC's if you want them and I haven't heard of anyone getting fakes from them which now days is good because authentic VTC's are getting harder and harder to find.

Oh, I forgot, if you shop at Lightening Vapes they have a discount code, I think it's "LV15" to get you 15 percent off you're whole purchase making them not only a great vendor but one of the most affordable as well...make sure you pick up a bag of "Cotton Bacon" if you're going to buy wire there....there is no better cotton for a beginner builder in my humble opinion...it's very easy to work with...you just pull apart the strips to your desired amount and smooth the fibers out so they're going the same direction...since they are for the most part it's very easy to work with...I won't say it's the best cotton ever, but I have organic cotton, Go Ken Do, and Cotton Bacon is by far my favorite to work and wick with.

When you're done reading threw all the links I gave you as well...well you don't have to but it will help explain the basics of rebuilding and what not, if you still have more questions we'll still be here for you...I also highly recommend you replace your battery...if it's the 10 amp Efest like dave says than .5 ohms is the lowest you'll want to go to be safe. .5 is a good place for beginners but i am of the school of thought that is better to use the highest continuous amp drain ratings possible...the higher the amp limit the less stress you put on your battery, the better it will perform, the longer it will live and the healthier it will be.

Congrats and cheers...here's to hoping everything get's here soon and we can get you up and vaping like a champ :)

VU Sponsors