Member For 5 Years
If you have 2 flavors for example
Peach and Mango

You like the peach at 3% by itself
You like the mango at 5% by itself

Now if you want to make a simple peach mango do you
1. mix 3% peach and 5% mango for a total of 8% flavoring
or
2. reduce the flavoring percentages of both to keep the total flavoring percentage low.
or
3. something else

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would mix the 3 percent peach since its the lowest percentage then add a little at a time of the mango till you get a good mix of the 2 you like combined...you may find adding 1 or 2 percent mango to the 3 percent peach to be enough to mix the two...Percentages for me generally drop when mixing multi flavors...In any case since its just you being able to vape it, you mix to your taste.

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Mike H Thanks for the reply.Why would you use this method? I am trying to figure out not only what to do, but WHY, so on other recipes I know what to do

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Mike H Thanks for the reply.Why would you use this method? I am trying to figure out not only what to do, but WHY, so on other recipes I know what to do

Too much of any one flavor will mute other flavors...All "good" recipes are based on trial and error...there is no set amount for every flavor to mix with another unless its already proven in a recipe...then again some may find it too much..some may find it not enough but overall its what "YOU" like that makes it the best...your best results will come from trial and error.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I suggested the lower percentage first as its going to be your best first shot at getting where you might like it...Mix your 3 percent up then start adding .5 percent of the other till you find what your after....you might find 1.5 percent to be the best or 2 percent or 2.5 percent...start at .5 percent and work up.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Remember, its easier to add more than the other way around...you cant really take it out but have to make a bigger batch of it to possibly correct it, which confuses or complicates everything.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
If you have 2 flavors for example
Peach and Mango

You like the peach at 3% by itself
You like the mango at 5% by itself

Now if you want to make a simple peach mango do you
1. mix 3% peach and 5% mango for a total of 8% flavoring
or
2. reduce the flavoring percentages of both to keep the total flavoring percentage low.
or
3. something else

If I wanted an balance of the two flavors, I'd start by trying a tiny batch of 1.5% Peach + 2.5% Mango.
After tasting it, I might decide I'd actually prefer a little more of one of them, and I know an extra 0.5-1% wouldn't screw it up (because I assume the 3% and 5% you stated are tried and true for you).
And that would be better, but I'd see some online drink mix with peach-mango-pineapple.
So yeah, I'd still have room for pineapple, and I'd add a little.
And maybe some orange, because it reminds me of Hawaiian Punch.

By then I'd be around 7% and either vaping something tasty or dumping it to try another.

That's exactly how a lot of my recipes start.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@HIC
Thanks for the extra input. So if i understand you correctly when you combine flavors, you will reduce the amounts of each flavoring from where you like it solo, but keep the ratio between the flavors. So if you cut one flavors percentage in half to start with you would cut all the flavors percentages in half and then add a little to amplify one or more flavors as you test.

Seb0011

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another way to mix is to premix the peach at 3% in one bottle then the mango at 5% in another bottle. These are now your bases. Now in a third bottle start combining the two till you get your desired flavor profile. So if you want more mango then peach add 75% mango and 25% peach or vice versa. This way is the fastest and most efficient way i have found to mix. Since you know the single flavor % you like, now all your doing is mixing them all together to get the flavor profile you like. I hope this makes sense.

for example:
Bottle 1 - 30ml of 6mg 70vg/30pg nic with 5% mango
Bottle 2 - 30ml of 6mg 70vg/30pg nic with 3% peach
Bottle 3 - 7.5ml of bottle 1 and 2.5ml of bottle 2 ------ shake and vape and adjust and vape and so on.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Seb0011

You are hurting my head trying to figure out the math for the percentages. Is there a simple way to calculate the exact percentage after you mix using your method to determine what the percentages are you want once you find the right mix

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@HIC
Thanks for the extra input. So if i understand you correctly when you combine flavors, you will reduce the amounts of each flavoring from where you like it solo, but keep the ratio between the flavors. So if you cut one flavors percentage in half to start with you would cut all the flavors percentages in half and then add a little to amplify one or more flavors as you test.

I "keep the ratio between the flavors" only if I want to taste the flavors equally.
If I wanted mango stronger I'd start around 3% mango 1% peach
Or for peach stronger I'd try 2% peach, 2% mango - since in your example peach is nearly twice as strong, that'd be mostly peach.

I keep really good notes at each step, as I add a little of this, little of that. Often I'll find a combo I like but by then it's way too strong, so I dilute it with a measured amount of unflavored base and keep going. If I eventually get it just right, the notes have all the info I need to make it a recipe. Then of course, gotta make it again following the recipe to be sure the notes were right, and see how it ages.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. If the standalone percent for most of your flavorings is close, and you're really familiar with the flavors you're using, it's very intuitive.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another way to mix is to premix the peach at 3% in one bottle then the mango at 5% in another bottle. These are now your bases. Now in a third bottle start combining the two till you get your desired flavor profile. So if you want more mango then peach add 75% mango and 25% peach or vice versa. This way is the fastest and most efficient way i have found to mix. Since you know the single flavor % you like, now all your doing is mixing them all together to get the flavor profile you like. I hope this makes sense.

for example:
Bottle 1 - 30ml of 6mg 70vg/30pg nic with 5% mango
Bottle 2 - 30ml of 6mg 70vg/30pg nic with 3% peach
Bottle 3 - 7.5ml of bottle 1 and 2.5ml of bottle 2 ------ shake and vape and adjust and vape and so on.
I'm with Matt on the head hurting. I do like this way of mixing, but am so far too dumb and/or lazy to convert results from it into a regular recipe expressed as percentages of the whole.

If you have a formula for this, please share it!

Seb0011

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't use this method to recreate other peoples recipes. Your right there would be too much math involved. I use this method when combining flavors.
Don't over complicate it or over think it. Just first start with your main flavor. Then add more flavors to it.
There is an assumptions using this method. You have tried all your flavors and determined each flavors starting percentage that tastes best to you.
For example, i like my coconut at 2.75% and my strawberry right at 2%.
Now all i do is mix the single flavor coconut at 2.75% at my desired nic vg/pg preference <--bottle 1
then mix the strawberry at 2% at my desired nic vg/pg preference <--bottle 2
then combine the 2 bottles and that's the fun part since now you can really dial in the flavor profile your looking for.
Such as 10 drops of the strawberry and 5 drops of the coconut, taste, not enough coconut then add another drop.
once your happy and find the flavor balance your looking for say 10 drops strawberry and 6 drop coconut, scale it up. Since its all proportional, you can assume the drops are now mls, so 10 mls strawberry and 6 mls coconut. Vape enjoy rinse repeat.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Seb0011

Now when you say 10mls of strawberry and 6mls of coconut do you mean

mls of the PREMIX?

if so
then let em see if i can do the math
10mls of strawberry would be 0.2 ml of strawberry
6mls of coconut would be 0.165 ml of coconut
then the rest would be nic/pg/vg mix for a total of 15.635 ml

for a total of 2.28125% flavoring
breaking that down you have

1.25% starwberry
and
1.03125% coconut

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I wanted an balance of the two flavors, I'd start by trying a tiny batch of 1.5% Peach + 2.5% Mango.
After tasting it, I might decide I'd actually prefer a little more of one of them, and I know an extra 0.5-1% wouldn't screw it up (because I assume the 3% and 5% you stated are tried and true for you).
And that would be better, but I'd see some online drink mix with peach-mango-pineapple.
So yeah, I'd still have room for pineapple, and I'd add a little.
And maybe some orange, because it reminds me of Hawaiian Punch.

By then I'd be around 7% and either vaping something tasty or dumping it to try another.

That's exactly how a lot of my recipes start.
I "keep the ratio between the flavors" only if I want to taste the flavors equally.
If I wanted mango stronger I'd start around 3% mango 1% peach
Or for peach stronger I'd try 2% peach, 2% mango - since in your example peach is nearly twice as strong, that'd be mostly peach.

I keep really good notes at each step, as I add a little of this, little of that. Often I'll find a combo I like but by then it's way too strong, so I dilute it with a measured amount of unflavored base and keep going. If I eventually get it just right, the notes have all the info I need to make it a recipe. Then of course, gotta make it again following the recipe to be sure the notes were right, and see how it ages.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. If the standalone percent for most of your flavorings is close, and you're really familiar with the flavors you're using, it's very intuitive.
I don't use this method to recreate other peoples recipes. Your right there would be too much math involved. I use this method when combining flavors.
Don't over complicate it or over think it. Just first start with your main flavor. Then add more flavors to it.
There is an assumptions using this method. You have tried all your flavors and determined each flavors starting percentage that tastes best to you.
For example, i like my coconut at 2.75% and my strawberry right at 2%.
Now all i do is mix the single flavor coconut at 2.75% at my desired nic vg/pg preference <--bottle 1
then mix the strawberry at 2% at my desired nic vg/pg preference <--bottle 2
then combine the 2 bottles and that's the fun part since now you can really dial in the flavor profile your looking for.
Such as 10 drops of the strawberry and 5 drops of the coconut, taste, not enough coconut then add another drop.
once your happy and find the flavor balance your looking for say 10 drops strawberry and 6 drop coconut, scale it up. Since its all proportional, you can assume the drops are now mls, so 10 mls strawberry and 6 mls coconut. Vape enjoy rinse repeat.
Some really great tips and feedback here. Thanks for sharing!
It really clears up some things for my thinking.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Seems to be many methods of "how to mix"...I try to keep things simple...I always mix my VG/PG or VG and distilled water with the nicotine content as desired THEN add my flavors to the batch im creating.

100 people can tell you to add this much and that much but this is what THEY like flavor wise and not what YOU know if you like.

Try each flavor by itself and learn what percentage or amount YOU like...then you have a starting place to an extent.

Not all flavors as mentioned before will work well at its single percentage mixed with other...Mixing a flavor you like as a single mix can over power another flavor you like as a single mix so its not always the way to go when mixing 2 flavors.

Again...start at your single flavor THEN add to it for your desired taste in a multi flavor batch.

The difference of .5 percent can make or break a flavoring.

Im still working with 3 flavor mixes trying to get it right.

Its about personal preference and taste and not an iron clad x amount is right or not right.

VU Sponsors