Become a Patron!

Coils and Steam Engine Don't Match

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When I enter a coil on steam engine, I always get an unreasonable amount of wraps to achieve the desired resistance.
For example, I have SS430, 28ga, 3mm ID spaced wraps on a machine screw. I built this using 6/5 wraps. Each coil comes out at .74 which give me .37 when dual on both the 521 I build it on and on the DNA 200 mod I vape it on.
Steam engine says it should be 9/8 wraps.
First, I don't know if that many wraps would fit on the deck. Second, I have the coils built and vaping just fine, so I'm guessing my calculation is correct.
My reason for asking is that I am going to test a mech mod. I absolutely want >1 ohm and while I can test after building, I'd like to use steam engine to know how many wraps I will need to be in the ballpark.
Currently, I must not understand something about the site as I have way different results.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's always worked for me for kanthal, makes me wonder if your as wire has a different inhetent resistance than steam engine is set up for

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Could be the difference in how well it stays wrapped. Meaning that SS430 is springy and 'uncoils' somewhat when tension is released.
I guess I'll have to wind some Kanthal and see where the >1 ohms is, then compare with Steam-Engine.

I'll also take 1 foot of my wire and see what resistance it has, tomorrow when I wind some coils.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thinking Same, if you change SE to 29awg 430 the number come out as 6/5.

Got a meter or caliper to test the wire?
No, no calipers. Perhaps Unkamen thinks its 28 ga.
I'll try to use my aging eyes to compare it with some Kanthal or Ti in the same gauge.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, I got a roll of 28ga Kanthal out and the SS430 is a TINY bit smaller in both look and feel.
I had my wife do this because I'd be tainted, since I 'know' its smaller, it would be if I looked and felt.
I asked her, which of these wires is bigger, and she picked the Kanthal fairly quickly.

I guess I'll either have to get some calipers or email the nice guy at Unkamen.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
28 awg should be the same size regardless the material.

But it's not the first time a spool of wire got marked wrong. Now you just we'd to verify with an ohm meter. Then you use based on your testing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors