Become a Patron!

Coil Question

I started vaping seven days ago with a 50w Istick. 25w is my go to wattage for 95% of the vaping I do, and I have roasted three coils now. Two .2 and a .5... and suggestions on how to keep them from burning up for longer. It's cheaper then cigarettes, but is still going to get mighty spend if I keep roasting coils like I have.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you dropping a few(2-3) of juice in the coil before you put them in?

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you dropping a few(2-3) of juice in the coil before you put them in?
That sounds like it might be the problem. You shouldn't be burning coils at that wattage. If I remember right the .2 can go to 100 watts and the .5 80 I think. Someone with an Artic chime in here please

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea I don't have an Artic but I have done this when I first got a tank and I was not "priming" the coil and it would fry coils.I use a RDA so I don't have that problem now.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes are you saturating them heavily before you use them? I run 0.2 at 55w every day all day. Don't just use 2-3 drops, SOAK the inside and outside Windows before you install it. I mean soak. It will hold quite a bit even if it drips down out the bottom a little it's fine. Install it, let it sit a minute or two then I start at like 25-30w and take a few puffs then work my way up to 50-55. I've ran it at 80 no dry hits just too hot. Max VG btw.
Are these authentic coils? There's NO reason they shouldn't give you a good 2 weeks. I do use other tanks (silverplay) and rdas but I run at 55w max VG and get about 2 weeks and that's just because it's not preforming the best.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your right though, You have to prime the coils on any tank. Otherwise it's the dreaded dry hit and that look on your face as you choke lol

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like using a sub tank with an RBA. Coils hold up better

I have been priming the coils. That's one of the first thing they told me when I was picking juice flavors. I just replaced another one about ten minutes ago. I vape pretty heavily but it seems real fast to be burning them up.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
sounds to me like you're burning through the juice faster than the wick can wick it up. Try shorter hits and taking longer time between them. Perhaps up your nic level so that you can go longer between hits?

sounds to me like you're burning through the juice faster than the wick can wick it up. Try shorter hits and taking longer time between them. Perhaps up your nic level so that you can go longer between hits?
I was running 18mg, I just took it down to 12mg. 24 is way too much for me, I tried it.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was running 18mg, I just took it down to 12mg. 24 is way too much for me, I tried it.
the only other thing I know to suggest is to either lower the power output or to reduce the duration and frequency of drags.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That sounds like it might be the problem. You shouldn't be burning coils at that wattage. If I remember right the .2 can go to 100 watts and the .5 80 I think. Someone with an Artic chime in here please
I had an Atlantis and I used .5 coils. I know that it's not the same tank or coils, but I found that anything over 30w tasted like a tire fire. I haven't used the Arctic, but I have heard similar things from friends who do. What the coils can handle and what makes them taste terrible seem to be pretty different.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been priming the coils. That's one of the first thing they told me when I was picking juice flavors. I just replaced another one about ten minutes ago. I vape pretty heavily but it seems real fast to be burning them up.
Are they authentic coils? Seriously 25w is like 2.4v on a 0.2ohm coil! Something is up here. When you wet the windows do you see a split in it like one side of the same window is darker than the other? Seems some have been put together with the outer part of the head not allowing the window to be fully open. I'll take a picture of what I mean next time I fill. But even with that I having no issues, never a dry hit, I chain vape max VG. I know people are having trouble with coils from places like fasttech (the clone coil heads).... But with an authentic head you should easily hit 2 weeks with one..

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No way I chain vape max VG. And a device that requires that shouldn't be used in this point of vaping.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No way I chain vape max VG. And a device that requires that shouldn't be used in this point of vaping.
Agreed, but all I could think of to stop the coil burn he's getting (since he said he's priming). After all, something is causing it to dry out. I think you might be right about the coils not being authentic and being the cause of the problem. Good call.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Agreed, but all I could think of to stop the coil burn he's getting (since he said he's priming). After all, something is causing it to dry out. I think you might be right about the coils not being authentic and being the cause of the problem. Good call.
I didn't mean to disrespect you at all. Please don't take it as that. You were giving good suggestions, but this particular device does not require them. Especially if he's only pumping in 2.4V to begin with.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
uploadfromtaptalk1432957018892.jpg
This is what I was referring to earlier. There's a top cap piece with the windows, under that is a cylinder piece with slots that run basically the whole way up the side. Some are not aligned properly and essentially close off the wicking Windows, partially.
This is an authentic Horizon Arctic coil btw, From a 5 pack not one included with the tank. I didn't notice it in the previous one from same pack or the two it came with.

Edit: I am chain vaping 90%vg at 55w 0.2ohm head, never a dry hit. Even with it partially closed off.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't mean to disrespect you at all. Please don't take it as that. You were giving good suggestions, but this particular device does not require them. Especially if he's only pumping in 2.4V to begin with.
I didn't. No worries :) I shoulda done the math to realize it was already less than 2 1/2 V. I bet you're spot on about fake coils.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I didn't. No worries :) I shoulda done the math to realize it was already less than 2 1/2 V. I bet you're spot on about fake coils.
Screw the math! I just set my Sigelei 100w+ to 25w and it read 2.4v. Lol
Only time I've ever had a dry hit is in my attempts to rebuild one of these heads. I did it vertical so no way to pinch out hot spots like I normally would. I'm assuming it had a hot leg or something but it was an instant burnt cotton hit. I've been meaning to go back and try a horizontal build but just haven't, I'm lazy. A horizontal single coil would be basically like building on a big protank head. And may actually work. But it's just not a priority atm. I rebuild so buying heads feels like a step back at this point, but it's all about convince, fill and go. No rewicking, No fiddling, good when no time to build or rewick.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its a tank GreyVaper

What I mean is I don't use the OCC coils, I use the RBA. I wick it, add a few drops of juice, screw it together, and vape. I own two Sub Tank Minis and swear by them. On the other hand, I just bought an Infinite Kayfun 4 and I get a dry hit after a few draws. I've rebuilt it three times and consulted with Kayfun owners. Not sure what's wrong so for now it sits cold and dead while I use my Kangers.

View attachment 21335
This is what I was referring to earlier. There's a top cap piece with the windows, under that is a cylinder piece with slots that run basically the whole way up the side. Some are not aligned properly and essentially close off the wicking Windows, partially.
This is an authentic Horizon Arctic coil btw, From a 5 pack not one included with the tank. I didn't notice it in the previous one from same pack or the two it came with.

Edit: I am chain vaping 90%vg at 55w 0.2ohm head, never a dry hit. Even with it partially closed off.
They are authentic coils. I just had a 5 pack delivered yesterday.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And I assume these are the dual coils? I think they make a single coil head too.
Not that it matters... I just don't understand what's going on!
Just to be clear, you're getting dry burnt cotton hits, not popping the coil right?
I know you said they were authentic, but may I ask where you're getting them from?

And I assume these are the dual coils? I think they make a single coil head too.
Not that it matters... I just don't understand what's going on!
Just to be clear, you're getting dry burnt cotton hits, not popping the coil right?
I know you said they were authentic, but may I ask where you're getting them from?
I bought one from my local shop. The 5 pack I bought was from Origin Vape in New York.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alright, I am stumped.

For my last few builds I've been having this problem where after a few days my coils either split apart or slant to the side.

Its irritating because I fix them so much they break

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Alright, I am stumped.

For my last few builds I've been having this problem where after a few days my coils either split apart or slant to the side.

Its irritating because I fix them so much they break
Are you working with springy wire? If so, the heating of the coil is annealing it and causing the change of the shape. Heating causes the metal to soften and to expand.

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are you working with springy wire? If so, the heating of the coil is annealing it and causing the change of the shape. Heating causes the metal to soften and to expand.
Regular kanthal, I figured that was the problem but it seems to be getting worse, like a copper mod as it ages the quicker it patinas

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Regular kanthal, I figured that was the problem but it seems to be getting worse, like a copper mod as it ages the quicker it patinas
What gauge?

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's a pretty solid gauge. Are you over tightening your screws?
You know, I may be but I always make sure they are snug and sometimes when I tighten them the center post will spin out of place? Never had that issue with my other rda until i purchased my little boy

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You know, I may be but I always make sure they are snug and sometimes when I tighten them the center post will spin out of place? Never had that issue with my other rda until i purchased my little boy
I don't own a little boy but my plume veil has a spinning center post as well. It's a PITA sometimes. I usually just place my finger behind it (it's a "t" or block center post with two holes for dual coils) while I tighten my screws.
You want your screws tight but you can snap your wire or begin to snap it if it's too tight I usually go a quarter turn past snug contact, if that makes sense. Too loose they start to back out and you have bad contact, too tight you stress the wire or break it. You want them snug but you don't want to torque them down too much.
My builds after quite a bit of use, the wraps start to separate but I never had them "misplace" themselves.
Hope this helps you

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't own a little boy but my plume veil has a spinning center post as well. It's a PITA sometimes. I usually just place my finger behind it (it's a "t" or block center post with two holes for dual coils) while I tighten my screws.
You want your screws tight but you can snap your wire or begin to snap it if it's too tight I usually go a quarter turn past snug contact, if that makes sense. Too loose they start to back out and you have bad contact, too tight you stress the wire or break it. You want them snug but you don't want to torque them down too much.
My builds after quite a bit of use, the wraps start to separate but I never had them "misplace" themselves.
Hope this helps you
It's just kind of weird that after a short period of use they will be slanted and split apart.
Yeah, I guess Ill just keep tinkering until something good comes of it! Thanks for the time and input.
Much appreciated

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's just kind of weird that after a short period of use they will be slanted and split apart.
Yeah, I guess Ill just keep tinkering until something good comes of it! Thanks for the time and input.
Much appreciated
I have this same problem with my twisted coils .when I dry fire they twist and contort and for the most part are to mangled to save,I feel your pain brother

"War,war never changes"

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have this same problem with my twisted coils .when I dry fire they twist and contort and for the most part are to mangled to save,I feel your pain brother

"War,war never changes"
That sounds extreme, is that happening almost instantly or over time?o_O

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Much appreciated
Micro/macro coils will "separate" after heating and cooling. But I've never experienced them slanting out of place.

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Like, right before your very eyes? being serious....
Yes weirdest thing I have seen.they seam to get tighter......you ever seen what a ball python does when it gets scared.... Its like that and it eventually shorts out

"War,war never changes"

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes weirdest thing I have seen.they seam to get tighter......you ever seen what a ball python does when it gets scared.... Its like that and it eventually shorts out

"War,war never changes"
I can't say that I have ever seen a scared ball python, but there is a lot of snakes in the lawn at work. I have had mine bunch together but never really to the point of where they are collapsing on themselves. I would really like to know the solution to this, it's been rattling me all week and constant adjusting is needed.
5525105+_752fc75db6a0d31d4babb231b9154c5e.gif

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can't say that I have ever seen a scared ball python, but there is a lot of snakes in the lawn at work. I have had mine bunch together but never really to the point of where they are collapsing on themselves. I would really like to know the solution to this, it's been rattling me all week and constant adjusting is needed.
5525105+_752fc75db6a0d31d4babb231b9154c5e.gif
YouTube it and I'm fed up with it so I have just about given up on twisted coils

"War,war never changes"

All of u should try this Rba from Anyvape to your Atlantis/Atlantis 2 /herakles ... It's fcukin awesome..more flavour & more clouds..

Attachments

• Hot-Selling-RDA-Coil-Anyvape-Segatank-RDA.jpg
    Hot-Selling-RDA-Coil-Anyvape-Segatank-RDA.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 5

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All of u should try this Rba from Anyvape to your Atlantis/Atlantis 2 /herakles ... It's fcukin awesome..more flavour & more clouds..
You buying?

War, War Never Changes.........Only The Means Of Destruction

VU Sponsors