Become a Patron!

Coil looks burnt

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Think I am on the right section. If not I apologize. I previously asked when to replace a coil. I now understand that it should taste bad or vapor wont come out. I was refelling my tank and have Ni200 .15 Ohm coil on my starre pro tank (using evic vt) and noticed that some parts of the cotton was black. Thinking its burnt although was still giving good flavor and vapor. Maybe its cuz i was vaping at a high temperature and power. Should I replace this? For future, should I lower my settings to avoid burns?

Oh and also Id like to know what a drip tip is for :D

Last edited:

eruptedvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Think I am on the right section. If not I apologize. I previously asked when to replace a coil. I now understand that it should taste bad or vapor wont come out. I was refelling my tank and have Ni200 .15 Ohm coil on my starre pro tank (using evic vt) and noticed that some parts of the cotton was black. Thinking its burnt although was still giving good flavor and vapor. Maybe its cuz i was vaping at a high temperature and power. Should I replace this? For future, should I lower my settings to avoid burns?

Oh and also Id like to know what a drip tip is for :D

I'll answer your second question first. An RDA (commonly called a drip tip or dripper) is a way to hold fluid for it to be vaporized, much like a tank, except that an RDA needs to have fluid 'dripped' on to the cotton within at intervals as you vape. The tank in tank literally refers to the juice in the container. The difference is, that the customization of coils is far superior. Tanks have a limitation, specifically their size and air flow, as well as a few other features. With an RDA I can custom build coils to do specifically what I want. Flavor and Cloud production on drippers are far superior to their tank cousins.

To your second question;

If your coil looks burnt, it probably is. However, most people wait until they can taste the difference. One of the problems with doing it that way is that you run the risk of getting yourself used to a burnt flavor and you won't notice for a while that your coils are in fact burnt.

Justin with Erupted Vapor

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
I'll answer your second question first. An RDA (commonly called a drip tip or dripper) is a way to hold fluid for it to be vaporized, much like a tank, except that an RDA needs to have fluid 'dripped' on to the cotton within at intervals as you vape. The tank in tank literally refers to the juice in the container. The difference is, that the customization of coils is far superior. Tanks have a limitation, specifically their size and air flow, as well as a few other features. With an RDA I can custom build coils to do specifically what I want. Flavor and Cloud production on drippers are far superior to their tank cousins.

To your second question;

If your coil looks burnt, it probably is. However, most people wait until they can taste the difference. One of the problems with doing it that way is that you run the risk of getting yourself used to a burnt flavor and you won't notice for a while that your coils are in fact burnt.

Thank you! So drip a few drops every now and then in the middle of the drip tip and itll make its way or should I remove the tank first? I'm just using stock coils.

eruptedvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you! So drip a few drops every now and then in the middle of the drip tip and itll make its way or should I remove the tank first? I'm just using stock coils.

Oh, I think I TOTALLY misunderstood your question. Lol. My bad.

The drip tip you are referring to, the point where you vape from on the Tank, is actually only a catch for any juice that may work it's way up from the tank. Please don't drip down the tip of your tank, I'd feel terrible at the awful taste you would suddenly discover.

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Oh, I think I TOTALLY misunderstood your question. Lol. My bad.

The drip tip you are referring to, the point where you vape from on the Tank, is actually only a catch for any juice that may work it's way up from the tank. Please don't drip down the tip of your tank, I'd feel terrible at the awful taste you would suddenly discover.

Oh okay. My bad I probably ask the wrong questions lol :D but thanks for clarifying everything.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The cotton will get darker around the coil due to heat and ejuice. That's normal. When you start to taste a funky flavor that is burned, then the coil is toast.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There is a trick you can use to extend the life of the coil, dip a thin q-tip in some vodka and run it down the center of the coil gently, that will remove a lot of gunk, just like cleaning a rifle barrel. Let the coil evaporate the vodka for a few minutes and then use it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Drip tip is the "mouth piece"/tip on every atomizer. The term however comes from the Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (RDA). With these atomizers, you drip e-juice in the atomizer, which could have been done directly through the (drip) tip (when you're lazy enough not to take it apart to wet the wick). For that reason, companies came up with wide bore drip tips to make it easier, as well as cloud chasers being able to get as much vapor as possible. Meanwhile, you have chuff caps (even larger openings), for dripping and cloud chasing. In addition, those new RDAs, where you can flip them open in some way, in order to drip more liquid.
(LOL kind of a vaping history lesson)

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Drip tip is the "mouth piece"/tip on every atomizer. The term however comes from the Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (RDA). With these atomizers, you drip e-juice in the atomizer, which could have been done directly through the (drip) tip (when you're lazy enough not to take it apart to wet the wick). For that reason, companies came up with wide bore drip tips to make it easier, as well as cloud chasers being able to get as much vapor as possible. Meanwhile, you have chuff caps (even larger openings), for dripping and cloud chasing. In addition, those new RDAs, where you can flip them open in some way, in order to drip more liquid.
(LOL kind of a vaping history lesson)
Thanks for the history lesson! :)

Mind telling me the difference between the first 2 (i think they are nickel for tc and 1 is wattage mode) and the 3rd?

http://www.vapemeet.ca/collections/freemax-replacement-coils

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The Nickel (ni200) is purely for TC mode only. The other two are #1 probably a single coil (0.5 Ohm) and #2 a "dual" coil (either 0.25 Ohm, or 0.5 Ohm). Knowing similar coils, both are vertical coils. However, #2 is most likely to be considered a parallel coil (2 strands of wire wrapped in parallel). The difference between #1 and #2 is, #2 will produce more vapor, but also needs more power (higher wattage), in order to perform. Now, #2 difference between 0.25 and 0.5 Ohm is similar to the difference between #1 and #2, where the 0.25 coil will produce a warmer vape than the 0.5 Ohm. The 0.25 Ohm will also require more power to perform better than the 0.5 Ohm coil. Therefore, it depends on, what kind of vape you prefer. However, it also depends on your eJuice, some like it hot, some don't. So, it's a try and error, what kind of coil, and power, with which eJuice.

eruptedvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Nickel (ni200) is purely for TC mode only. The other two are #1 probably a single coil (0.5 Ohm) and #2 a "dual" coil (either 0.25 Ohm, or 0.5 Ohm). Knowing similar coils, both are vertical coils. However, #2 is most likely to be considered a parallel coil (2 strands of wire wrapped in parallel). The difference between #1 and #2 is, #2 will produce more vapor, but also needs more power (higher wattage), in order to perform. Now, #2 difference between 0.25 and 0.5 Ohm is similar to the difference between #1 and #2, where the 0.25 coil will produce a warmer vape than the 0.5 Ohm. The 0.25 Ohm will also require more power to perform better than the 0.5 Ohm coil. Therefore, it depends on, what kind of vape you prefer. However, it also depends on your eJuice, some like it hot, some don't. So, it's a try and error, what kind of coil, and power, with which eJuice.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that website. Anyone who sells a product, especially online, should be placing a good description of the product.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that website. Anyone who sells a product, especially online, should be placing a good description of the product.
I bet your's is perfect :). IMO, it wasn't about the website, but to understand the differences.

eruptedvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bet your's is perfect :). IMO, it wasn't about the website, but to understand the differences.

Meh, not perfect, but I'm close! BOOM!!!

Honestly though, a website that sells a product generally has a blurb about the product. To say that buying a product requires 100% knowledge of everything about the product creates the confusion, which we can see here. So, I'm not a fan of that specific site. For Jebus's sake, two of them have no indicator of the material the coil is made of!

(EDIT) Full disclosure, I don't sell product online, so I'm not trying to pull that sites traffic in anyway. My store is brick and mortar only.

vapeju

Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys. I zoomed in the picutres 1 is Ni200 as you guys stated, the other one shows .5 ohm 20-60W so i am supposing thats the kanthal and the last 1 is the dual coil .. i THINK :D

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks guys. I zoomed in the picutres 1 is Ni200 as you guys stated, the other one shows .5 ohm 20-60W so i am supposing thats the kanthal and the last 1 is the dual coil .. i THINK :D
I'm not sure if those are Kanthal or SS. However, they are the coils for regular/power mode.

VU Sponsors