Become a Patron!

Coil building newbie

misa0890

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's up guys. I'm just getting into the whole coil building thing and I would greatly appreciate some insight as to what different types of coils they're are and what the size of it means and things of that sort so forgive me if my terminology is inaccurate.

I am one of those rookies that want the best of the best and do not want to sacrifice anything. I'm looking for the best build that would generate the best cloud with the best flavor and would be smooth (I don't have iron lungs like a lot of vapors).

I just purchased a Kennedy (Great RDA with a couple of flaws) and I took the guys word on what build I should be vaping on. He ended up giving me a 24 guage 9 wrap build (not sure what size drillbit he used). I really like it but then again I'm a virgin when it comes to these things so I don't know if there are other builds. I initially wanted a .25 build but I figured it would be a little too harsh for me.

Now my understanding in this field is very minimal but do I have the right idea saying that the higher the resistance the more difficult it is for current to flow through which would create a higher ohm coil?

If I could have somebody explain to me what the effects of 1) the size of the gauge 2) the size of the actual wrap 3) the different types of available wraps are, that would be great.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Take a look at http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp. Take it as a guideline line though! Click on the "How it works" (bottom left), and pay attention to heat flux and heat capacity. Play around utilizing different wire gauges, resistance, ID, etc. and look at the heat flux/capacity. You can also vary the Watt in the field next to heat flux.

Get back for further questions if needed.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Take a look at my Instagram page (@crazychef777). I have numerous builds pictured with short descriptions of what they are.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
don't sweat it...I remember the first time I got on a vaping forum and saw all this ...volts...ohms...watts..kanthal....thrown around it was intimidating,...there's alot to learn, but it ain't rocket science.....just stay safe......grab some wire or diffrent gauges, hit the forums and youtube channels, and have fun.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I built standard macro coils for so long lol.

bOoMsHaKaLaKaA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here are some opinions:

1. The best coil that I have had so far is the fused clapton. you can youtube it to find out how it's built. I use 26 gauge kanthal for the core wires and 32 gauge wire to wrap around them. I have the twisted messes RDA so it fits, but if your post holes are thin, it is extremely easy to make them wider by using a drill. It took me seconds to do on my Deadmodz RDA.

2. You're right about the resistance. Also, the more reps, the higher the resistance (you probably already knew that).

3. You can go on amazon and get many different gauge wires all in one for $20 and experience with them. They're 100 ft. rolls except for the 22 gauge. NOTE: if you want to experience the clapton without paying so much money for two coils off of ebay ( $10 - $13 ), you can go on ebay or amazon and buy a pre-made clapton wire (about 15 ft.) for $8. The different between the two is that the "fused" clapton has two wires running parallel in the core and the clapton is just a single wire. It is still really nice and it is what you're looking for, but nothing like the fused. With time, you will be able to make the fused clapton. It is not hard at all. You will make lots of mistakes and ruin some wires, but keep going at it because it is worth it. For now though, you should probably order the pre-made one.

4. Make sure you keep dry firing those coils when you first make them at a low wattage/volts until you get them to glow evenly from inside out.

5. Make sure your cotton is not too tight on the coil, but also not too loose. Just make sure it slides through the coil with a little bit of resistance. (make sure you have some good quality cotton as well). When you cut the cotton, you can take the top layer from each side since it is a less absorbing material.

6. When you coil the clapton, don't put too much pressure on it; just gently wrap it by putting some weight using your finger and going around the screw driver.

7. Not sure how you feel about clones and products that are not made in the US, but go on ebay and get some clone RDA's. You can get the twisted messes clone for $20. You can also get the Deadmodz clone for $12. I know we shouldn't support china crap, but I got the Goliath RDA clone for $12 where the authentic is $135. I'm all for US products, but sometimes you have to go according to your budget.

8. If you use nicotine, you want to go lower with RDA's as compared to tanks. I used to vape 6 mg/ml and I went down to 3 mg/ml. Feels exactly the same as far as throat hit. Higher nicotine will be very harsh.

How is the kennedy btw? It looks like it might not have a good enough air flow, which means you will be getting some warm and less vapor, but good flavor.

Can't think of anything more for right now, but we'll stay in touch with some pics and updates. You can start by making quad 26 gauge coils, 8-10 reps, which will come out somewhere around 0.25. Putting them in can be annoying at first, but it gets easier with time.

bOoMsHaKaLaKaA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can start with something like this. It's nothing fancy, but it's good if you want to have more clouds just make sure you put some more reps than what you see in this pic. I would go 8-10 reps. this was 26 gauge wire, but I don't remember the ohms. Although this is a good build for clouds and decent flavor, I still think you should get the pre-made clapton off of ebay and experience with it.

20151129_133506.jpg

Dmoney!

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's up guys. I'm just getting into the whole coil building thing and I would greatly appreciate some insight as to what different types of coils they're are and what the size of it means and things of that sort so forgive me if my terminology is inaccurate.

I am one of those rookies that want the best of the best and do not want to sacrifice anything. I'm looking for the best build that would generate the best cloud with the best flavor and would be smooth (I don't have iron lungs like a lot of vapors).

I just purchased a Kennedy (Great RDA with a couple of flaws) and I took the guys word on what build I should be vaping on. He ended up giving me a 24 guage 9 wrap build (not sure what size drillbit he used). I really like it but then again I'm a virgin when it comes to these things so I don't know if there are other builds. I initially wanted a .25 build but I figured it would be a little too harsh for me.

Now my understanding in this field is very minimal but do I have the right idea saying that the higher the resistance the more difficult it is for current to flow through which would create a higher ohm coil?

If I could have somebody explain to me what the effects of 1) the size of the gauge 2) the size of the actual wrap 3) the different types of available wraps are, that would be great.
For me the size Guage can have effects on flavor and clouds I notice. I prefer to use twisted kanthal and right now I'm using 26 Guage twisted. I usually just build on the small blue screwdrivers you get with rdas they are 2mm and work perfectly. Just 20 minutes ago I built a 5 wrap dual parallel that came out to like .16 and on my Dimitri mech parallel box it's hitting pretty hard and producing wonderful flavor. Get an ohms reader and some wire 26 to 28 is what I prefer and just play around a bit. That's what I did and from trying different numbers of wraps I was able to kind of figure out how to reach the builds I wanted. A lot is dependant on the device your using and watts you like to vape at as well as wicking. YouTube is another great resource it'd where I learned so tricks to perfect the wrapping process so I don't have to fuck with the coils hardly at all after I put them on and align them. I get it perfect almost every time now. I can post some pics and a video of my current setup and how it vape for you if you would like. Maybe a short video of I wrap the coils as well? Boomshakalaka posted probably the best advice your gonna find.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors