Become a Patron!

CLOSED- Debate Invitation to ECF Troublemakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Interesting.... One could argue that ANY consumption of certain foods increases the risk of health related problems. The alcohol question is a good one as well Andria, and alcohol is taxed higher than other things. A so-called "sin tax".

The "junk-food-tax" is a common debate question. Personally, I feel that nothing should be taxed higher than anything else, health related concerns or not.

This is an interesting read though....

http://now.tufts.edu/articles/should-we-tax-unhealthy-foods

Thoughts?

I would have to disagree, particularly on the consumption of sugar and red meat. I love sugar -- I love it so much, in fact, that I never want to have to do without it, so I consciously exercise moderation in its consumption. And at the age of nearly 55, in a family rife with both obesity and diabetes, I am neither obese nor diabetic.

As for red meat... I have gallbladder issues, which means I cannot consume much cholesterol at all, without extremely uncomfortable digestive problems -- my solution to that is that I consume very little egg -- mostly, via baked goods, but no actual eggs, except for egg whites which contain little if any cholesterol; and by choosing to eat only the absolute leanest beef -- filet mignon, or 93% lean ground beef -- and very little even of that. Other meats contain very little cholesterol and thus offer me little problem.

The main problem with those so-called "problem foods" is when people don't exercise good judgment in their consumption -- just like with alcohol. Taxing them excessively falls into the category of trying to protect us from ourselves -- which is impossible, foolhardy, stupid, and a violation of our personal rights. If we choose to consume them unwisely, then we are obligated to pay for that unwise choice: karma. Trying to protect people from their own karma is ridiculous.

Andria

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would have to disagree, particularly on the consumption of sugar and red meat. I love sugar -- I love it so much, in fact, that I never want to have to do without it, so I consciously exercise moderation in its consumption. And at the age of nearly 55, in a family rife with both obesity and diabetes, I am neither obese nor diabetic.

As for red meat... I have gallbladder issues, which means I cannot consume much cholesterol at all, without extremely uncomfortable digestive problems -- my solution to that is that I consume very little egg -- mostly, via baked goods, but no actual eggs, except for egg whites which contain little if any cholesterol; and by choosing to eat only the absolute leanest beef -- filet mignon, or 93% lean ground beef -- and very little even of that. Other meats contain very little cholesterol and thus offer me little problem.

The main problem with those so-called "problem foods" is when people don't exercise good judgment in their consumption -- just like with alcohol. Taxing them excessively falls into the category of trying to protect us from ourselves -- which is impossible, foolhardy, stupid, and a violation of our personal rights. If we choose to consume them unwisely, then we are obligated to pay for that unwise choice: karma. Trying to protect people from their own karma is ridiculous.

Andria

I'm very glad you are watching out for your health Andria. Sugar can be bad for certain people without causing obesity or diabetes. It is essentially an "empty" food.

Think about french fries for a minute. Maybe bacon won't apply to you, but there are plenty of foods that are KNOWN to cause health problems for the vast majority of people.

BTW, I don't think the alcohol tax is anything more than a "sin tax". I am not aware of any funds from that tax going to help people with alcoholism or problems with alcohol. Do they?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm very glad you are watching out for your health Andria. Sugar can be bad for certain people without causing obesity or diabetes. It is essentially an "empty" food.

Think about french fries for a minute. Maybe bacon won't apply to you, but there are plenty of foods that are KNOWN to cause health problems for the vast majority of people.

BTW, I don't think the alcohol tax is anything more than a "sin tax". I am not aware of any funds from that tax going to help people with alcoholism or problems with alcohol. Do they?

Not sure about problems with alcohol, but I know that GA was one of the very last to comply with the 21+ drinking age, and it had to do with federal DOT money, so somehow the alcohol excise tax is bound up/porkbellied with DOT money.

Bacon is pork, so almost zero cholesterol -- it might make you fat, but it won't make your arteries fat. :D That lack of cholesterol is why I can eat it, and sausage too. But really the key is moderation -- eat too much of anything and it's not good for you. I've always known that; my problems with alcohol are because I simply CANNOT be moderate with it -- one drink and I'm off to the races. It took me till I was 31 to really understand that, and accept that it wasn't ever going to change.

Yes, processed sugar is an empty food... and to me, and to a lot of people, life without it is pretty empty. What's the point of living, without pleasure? That's the whole problem with public health -- they think we should be perfect little bots and live forever -- except nobody lives forever, and most wouldn't want to live at all, without enjoyment. You just have to moderate the enjoyment, so it doesn't STEAL your life.

Andria

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All good points Andria. BUT, red meat causes other issues besides cholesterol, and (as you noted), there are societal problems with alcohol. Your drinking age example doesn't really deal with the excise tax on alcohol. It has to do with Federal Highway Funds.

So, back on point, is it OK to tax "things" more if there is a documented health detriment to society. Junk food, red meat, processed meat, nitrosamine containing meat, etc.

Quote:
“The association between consumption of red and processed meats and cancer, particularly colorectal cancer, is very consistent,” says Marji McCullough, PhD, a nutritional epidemiologist with the American Cancer Society.

After a systemic review of scientific studies, an expert panel of the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research concluded in 2007 that “red or processed meats are convincing or probable sources of some cancers.” Their report says evidence is convincing for a link between red meat, processed meat, and colorectal cancer, and limited but suggestive for links to lung, esophageal, stomach, pancreatic, and endometrial cancers."

source: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/the-truth-about-red-meat?page=2

I'm posing the question on a whole society level.....

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let me get this straight, the debate with ECF trouble makers has to do with red meat?
thththsmiliesmdrej8lol-11_zpsxjhaiooq.gif

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Let me get this straight, the debate with ECF trouble makers has to do with red meat?
Close, they are more of the substance that is extruded from the distal end of the bovine alimentary canal.

;)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
get enough ex-smokers together and youre bound to have argumnets. Restrict what they can and cant say and you have a shitstorm

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I simply don't see it as being any of gov't business, what we eat, drink, or otherwise consume. The purpose of the FDA and USDA is to PREVENT bad things being present, and to provide proper labelling and identification of contents. At that point, it's up to US. If we eat stupidly, we suffer ill health. If we eat wisely, we'll enjoy better health, but not all ill health conditions -- including and perhaps especially cancer -- are because of what we eat, drink, or otherwise consume. It's a fact that nobody really understands the exact causes of cancer, or it would have been licked by now -- we know some things that contribute to a potential for it, and avoiding or lessening those things can go a long way to preventing it -- but when you consider that probably the baseline cause of ANY cancer is a malfunction in the DNA... there's just no way to prevent EVERYTHING that could cause damage to DNA -- some of those damages are in-born.

Living on a planet bathed in solar radiation means that cancer is a perpetual risk. Without that solar radiation, there is no life at all.

Andria

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I simply don't see it as being any of gov't business, what we eat, drink, or otherwise consume. The purpose of the FDA and USDA is to PREVENT bad things being present, and to provide proper labelling and identification of contents. At that point, it's up to US. If we eat stupidly, we suffer ill health. If we eat wisely, we'll enjoy better health, but not all ill health conditions -- including and perhaps especially cancer -- are because of what we eat, drink, or otherwise consume. It's a fact that nobody really understands the exact causes of cancer, or it would have been licked by now -- we know some things that contribute to a potential for it, and avoiding or lessening those things can go a long way to preventing it -- but when you consider that probably the baseline cause of ANY cancer is a malfunction in the DNA... there's just no way to prevent EVERYTHING that could cause damage to DNA -- some of those damages are in-born.

Living on a planet bathed in solar radiation means that cancer is a perpetual risk. Without that solar radiation, there is no life at all.

Andria

I'll take your responses as being of the "I do not agree variety". Although there is a proven causal link between colorectal cancer and red/processed meat consumption.

:D

All good. That is my position as well, but for some the same, and some different reasons.

It's a "slippery slope" argument, but one we are already on in the US. In Japan, there is a fine if one's waist size is over a certain limit.

:O

Reactions: DC2

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll take your responses as being of the "I do not agree variety". Although there is a proven causal link between colorectal cancer and red/processed meat consumption.

:D

All good. That is my position as well, but for some the same, and some different reasons.

It's a "slippery slope" argument, but one we are already on in the US. In Japan, there is a fine if one's waist size is over a certain limit.

:O

I'm sure there are reasoned arguments for avoiding "processed" meats, and a lot of other foods... but it's not up to the gov't to impose their views on the citizens; it's up to the citizens to make wise choices. A good example is the recent discovery that eating a very low-fat diet is not necessarily the Manna from Heaven it's been portrayed to be -- the gov't, public health, even doctors, can be WRONG. Just look at all the idiot doctors saying that vaping is just as bad as smoking. ;) It is simply not gov't job to decide what is good for us, and make sure we stick to it -- they are not our parents, and we are not children.

Andria

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm sure there are reasoned arguments for avoiding "processed" meats, and a lot of other foods... but it's not up to the gov't to impose their views on the citizens; it's up to the citizens to make wise choices. A good example is the recent discovery that eating a very low-fat diet is not necessarily the Manna from Heaven it's been portrayed to be -- the gov't, public health, even doctors, can be WRONG. Just look at all the idiot doctors saying that vaping is just as bad as smoking. ;) It is simply not gov't job to decide what is good for us, and make sure we stick to it -- they are not our parents, and we are not children.

Andria

And the bolded part is what any "sin-tax", or health related tax ignores. And that included cigarettes.

Therefore, unless vaping is proven to have a greater negative impact on health than "junk-food", there is no rationale to tax it above regular sales tax.

BUT, there is a school of thought, that seems to be based on "if it is going to have negative consequences for society (monetarily), then tax it at a higher rate" to reduce the financial burden for the masses.

Here is an example:

Helmet laws for motorcyclists. I wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), but why can the law require that I wear a helmet? Shouldn't I be free to choose?

Hmmmmmmm

;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And the bolded part is what any "sin-tax", or health related tax ignores. And that included cigarettes.

Therefore, unless vaping is proven to have a greater negative impact on health than "junk-food", there is no rationale to tax it above regular sales tax.

BUT, there is a school of thought, that seems to be based on "if it is going to have negative consequences for society (monetarily), then tax it at a higher rate" to reduce the financial burden for the masses.

Here is an example:

Helmet laws for motorcyclists. I wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), but why can the law require that I wear a helmet? Shouldn't I be free to choose?

Hmmmmmmm

;)

Same reason they can require seatbelts -- it drastically lowers mortality rates. And because nobody wants to see bodies or heads spread all over the pavement like strawberry jam.

Andria

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Same reason they can require seatbelts -- it drastically lowers mortality rates. And because nobody wants to see bodies or heads spread all over the pavement like strawberry jam.

Andria

But isn't that the same "personal choice" to which you referred earlier? If not, please explain the difference.

;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But isn't that the same "personal choice" to which you referred earlier? If not, please explain the difference.

;)

The difference is that with food, it's only a theory, a possibility. With helmets and seatbelts, it's a hard fact.

Andria

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The difference is that with food, it's only a theory, a possibility. With helmets and seatbelts, it's a hard fact.

Andria

Lots of helmetless riders crash and survive, as well as loads of people in cars without seatbelts. Lots of people eat junk food to excess, have serious health conditions, and get government assistance for medical treatment (paid for by all of us).

Those are also facts.

A tax on junk food will make it less appealing to buy, saving lives and money will it not?

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yep agree. all taxes the same. Income tax for example should be a flat rate tax on ALL income with no deductions. Would likely run about 10%.
Inconceivable. How would politicians curry favor with their donors and other friends if there were no deductions, credits, or exemptions for them to carve out? Then there's the problem that every tax increase would be fought tooth and nail by the entire base of tax payers instead of just the subgroups, too small to mount meaningful opposition, that carefully targeted taxes increases are currently aimed at. No sir, this is politically unacceptable -- to our rulers.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Inconceivable. How would politicians curry favor with their donors and other friends if there were no deductions, credits, or exemptions for them to carve out? Then there's the problem that every tax increase would be fought tooth and nail by the entire base of tax payers instead of just the subgroups, too small to mount meaningful opposition, that carefully targeted taxes increases are currently aimed at. No sir, this is politically unacceptable -- to our rulers.
Yep that is precisely a BIG reason why there should be total flat rate income taxes with no deductions.
And also why it will never happen unless I become the supreme ruler of this chaos.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep that is precisely a BIG reason why there should be total flat rate income taxes with no deductions.
And also why it will never happen unless I become the supreme ruler of this chaos.

Another guy named Robert Cromwell thought he'd be the supreme ruler and fix everything.... and after he died, the invited the king back... :D

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another guy named Robert Cromwell thought he'd be the supreme ruler and fix everything.... and after he died, the invited the king back... :D

Andria
Ohh you know my history?. Did not actually die ;)
Learned a lot since then, would do better this time.
But the job sucks, so won't do it again.

Toronnah

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Andria

That was Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That was Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard.

Yeah, Oliver, that's right. But I don't think his son ever did anything. After Oliver died, they invited Charles II back.

I just wish that those puritans who left there when James and Charles I were on the throne had been put to death instead of set free to pollute north america with their rigid insanity.

Andria

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Who the fuck is that guy ROBINO??
that dude be editing so much shit over there.. I felt bad for the peeps over there, good thing they finally realize how fuck up that place is!! Good morning that forum trouble makers

VAPE IT

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Who the fuck is that guy ROBINO??
that dude be editing so much shit over there.. I felt bad for the peeps over there, good thing they finally realize how fuck up that place is!! Good morning that forum trouble makers

VAPE IT

It's a woman. Of the 3 horrible mods over there, she's actually the best, at least she has a personality. But yeah, she's always real busy trying to suck up to the admin, being a control freak like the others.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors