Become a Patron!

Cases tie e-cigarettes to lung injuries, pneumonia

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe it. It isn't the least bit surprising some have issues after inhaling high volumes of VG and flavorings...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At least one, the woman, had recently quit smoking and switched to vaping. The other, though they don't say, likely did too. 60 year olds don't generally start vaping out of the blue. Sounds to me like the flavors they were vaping irritated their healing and sensitive lungs.

I used to have terrible sinus and would lose my voice a couple times a year. My sinus is good now and I have not lost my voice once since vaping.

At any rate, these two cases are subjective. The docs say they "suspect" the flavors. That means they don't know and it's their best guess.

VelvetA

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After 6 years of vaping cartos with clear lungs, I began wheezing (again) when I made the jump to sub-ohm vaping.
Had to go back on Advair too
Wouldn't it be easier just to *not* sub-ohm? Or am I missing something here? o_O

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wouldn't it be easier just to *not* sub-ohm? Or am I missing something here? o_O
Actually, I had the same experience as Shark Vape. But over the months everything cleared up, and I was even for the first time able to tolerate max VG. I do think it takes lungs a long time to heal after smoking, and subohm vaping seems to really tax misused lungs! I think the issue is more what keeps you interested enough not to smoke, and for some subohm seems to be the answer.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had so much as a cold since I started vaping a year ago, let alone the annual dose of walking pneumonia. As aforementioned, if the lungs are already damaged or in the process of healing, vaping can be a bit detrimental but it certainly isn't the main cause of lung issues.

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had so much as a cold since I started vaping a year ago, let alone the annual dose of walking pneumonia. As aforementioned, if the lungs are already damaged or in the process of healing, vaping can be a bit detrimental but it certainly isn't the main cause of lung issues.
I agree , I smoked Marlboro reds for 20+ years and always had a weezing/bronchial infection , I have vape for a couple of years and completely stopped smoking over a year ago after a cervical fusion . After 2 months passed my lungs cleared up and , no weezing or bronchitis since then , I am still hocking up some phlegm but my lung capacity increased by a factor of 20 and this I know because of a fit test I have to pass every year for hazmat certification . Where there are going to still be issues and no way to say it is 100% safe it is way better for me personally than the analog .

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Before subohming became popular, irritating stuff could just be puffed like a pipe or cigar, limiting any lung issues for the most part. I can't recommend that to someone doing lung inhales, so they may have to step back to a lower wattage puff to keep off the smokes.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Seems the liquid in question Hawaiian blast. It is watermelon coconut cream and banana, so it would have nothing to do with the liquid then. Doctors can not find a cause so they just speculate.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have read a number of posts from those who have had an adverse reaction to DA/AP...

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems the liquid in question Hawaiian blast. It is watermelon coconut cream and banana, so it would have nothing to do with the liquid then. Doctors can not find a cause so they just speculate.

Yep, they found oil or fatty substances in her lungs, so there's something other than that eliquid involved for sure.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a pretty bad sensitivity to certain flavorings, so I don't vape them. Vapers need a little common sense, as it's really not that hard to find flavors that work for you or unflavored. Too bad each incident involving ecigs is blasted in the press as if it's common. There are certainly issues for some of us and some flavors, but among millions of vapers they are pretty damn scarce.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, they found oil or fatty substances in her lungs, so there's something other than that eliquid involved for sure.

Isn't VG a fatty acid?...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No.

Glycerol is an alcohol with three carbons, five hydrogens, and three hydroxyl (OH) groups. Fatty acids have a long chain of hydrocarbons with a carboxyl group attached and may have 4-36 carbons; however, most of them have 12-18.

A triglyceride is a fat, no?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looking to split hairs Steve?

A Triglyceride is an ester derived from glycerol and three fatty acids. Has nothing to do with Glycerine.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Mabye you could mention this to maddcatt since this is determination and/or slander and will hurt his business? Maybe his lawyers can get his eliquid brand "maddcatt" name removed from the article.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looking to split hairs Steve?

A Triglyceride is an ester derived from glycerol and three fatty acids. Has nothing to do with Glycerine.

A poster mentioned there were fatty substances in her lungs...

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fatty substances for Lipid Pneumonia are oils, actual fats, et cetera. People who work near deep fryers are at enhanced risk of getting Lipid Pneumonia, that's why the restaurants have such powerful extraction hoods at the deep fryers.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fatty substances for Lipid Pneumonia are oils, actual fats, et cetera. People who work near deep fryers are at enhanced risk of getting Lipid Pneumonia, that's why the restaurants have such powerful extraction hoods at the deep fryers.

There's no telling what some vapers are being sold or inhaling...

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Look any slander like that to maddcatt vapors pisses me off

they are the best store in this town and I would hate to see anything bad happen to them over bullshit like this. Maybe this woman is friends with the other vapor store in town.

But gee with so many people using maddcat juice including myself from time to time, I find it amazing that only this woman got sick off it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

I have been saying this all day in the VU moderator Skype chat.
I also hope someone has contacted Maddcatt about these slanderous claims because this will hurt their business.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

they are the best store in this town and I would hate to see anything bad happen to them over bullshit like this. Maybe this woman is friends with the other vapor store in town.

But gee with so many people using maddcat juice including myself from time to time, I find it amazing that only this woman got sick off it.

You live up in Cumberland MD @Mattp169 ?
I used to live in the Rosedale/Overlea area

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
HOLY fucking retarded picking and choosing horse shit that passes as reporting.
SO much fucking stupid, it fucking BURNS!

ok so all former smokers... one of the most toxic lung damaging things in this world.
Vaping juices in unknown devices.

Farmers lung could be from him being a nasty motherfucker living hoader's wet dream. VG and PG and both fungicides. More like he scorched the living hell out of his gear and sucked down burnt silica and or cotton.

those whining about allergic reactions... keep fucking vaping without narrowing shit down and carte blanch blame maddcatts. For fucks sake it reminds me of that scene where the bloated pig was in full anaphylactic shock while noming crab legs... when asked why she was doing it... her reply was she could help herself they tasted good.

Please Darwin step up your game, start with these retarded reporters, then the retards blaming their lung damage on vaping instead of tobacco.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some (most) people stick to their own set of truths. Actual facts mess 'em up.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't believe anything I hear, and only half of what I see. ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have been saying this all day in the VU moderator Skype chat.
I also hope someone has contacted Maddcatt about these slanderous claims because this will hurt their business.
I emailed them last night. I didn't get a reply, but I'm not expecting one, necessarily.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You live up in Cumberland MD @Mattp169 ?
I used to live in the Rosedale/Overlea area
im form dundalk
used to have friends in overlea/rosedale. went to golden ring mall all the time and went to calvert hall and Towson university
now i live in cumberland

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I absolutely believe it.
After 6 years of vaping cartos with clear lungs, I began wheezing (again) when I made the jump to sub-ohm vaping.
Had to go back on Advair too. :(
I'd either quit vaping or step back to... supra (?) ohm, before I'd resort to inhaling something to counteract inhaling something else.

Let's not bullshit ourselves into a false sense of safety.
Vaping is not harmless; fuck that propaganda bullshit.
I think that, like smoking, it depends on a variety of factors. But, yes: For many (most?) people, in many (most?) cases: No, it's not (entirely) harmless.

The cancer danger is gone, yes and thank goodness.
Not entirely, for all people and all juices, it's not. Just greatly (something like 10:1, from what I've read) reduced.

But bronchial, upper respiratory inflammation seems to increase as coil resistance decreases.
I've got a touch of COPD from smoking for over 40 years, and I do sometimes notice a bit of lung congestion, the next morning, if I vape much the prior evening. I haven't gone sub ohm, yet. I'm wondering if I want to? I might even drop it entirely. Or at least cut way back. Thing is: I'm kind of enjoying playing with it :)

People who never smoked should never vape.
Yeah... there's a lot of things people should not do :)

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That report is so full of shit. I have COPD and vaping save my life. My VA doctor ask what I was doing because my lungs sounded so much better. I told her I stopped smoking and was vaping and she told me to keep it up.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol, they just showed a new steam producing device on tv that does not use water for steam and is used sinus conditions.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
im form dundalk
used to have friends in overlea/rosedale. went to golden ring mall all the time and went to calvert hall and Towson university
now i live in cumberland

I lived off of Chesaco Ave and used to ride my bike to Golden Ring mall all the time back in the late 80's early 90's.:)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Bump for page 2?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
FINALLY!!!
A real discussion in the News & Media section!!!

@Whiskey @Huckleberried @Zamazam

Look guys, it only took me a year and a half to get my dream to come true:):):)
Monkey1.gif

VU Sponsors