Carbon buildup on my dads battery

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My dad is using an m16 with sony vc4s and he keeps getting this black build up on the battery and a bit in the switch. He thinks it's carbon. Any ideas?
image.jpg
image.jpg

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
only time ive seen anything like that it was on batteries a half step away from venting. if he has access to the equipment id have the battery analized just to be safe.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe that happens because of arcing. There must be a small gap between the switch and battery which is causing it to arc. Thus leading to the buildup of carbon. Get that thing adjusted so it holds the battery in better and stops the arcing.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys. I'll try that. Also, I just took the switch apart and found all this "goo" in there. Not sure what that is, but I cleaned it out.

I'm going to adjust the throw to make sure there's no arching.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update: I adjusted the throw and it might be too soon to know if the buildup will continue but it is hitting both harder and smoother. Thanks everyone!

Cloudz4Days

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Clean the entire mod and make sure the batt is secure. After that it should quit. I clean my m16 all the time and never drain my batteries below 3.7v before I swap them out. So I never seen mine do that.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put a little noalox on the top of the battery and/or on the contact. That should fix it.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Clean the entire mod and make sure the batt is secure. After that it should quit. I clean my m16 all the time and never drain my batteries below 3.7v before I swap them out. So I never seen mine do that.
Thanks man. I did that for him and it is purring now. He never cleans his mechs, might need to get him something regulated if he can't handle the upkeep.

Kenneth98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There is a rust here ? You may clean away it .It may broken the mech mod

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks man. I did that for him and it is purring now. He never cleans his mechs, might need to get him something regulated if he can't handle the upkeep.
regulated mods need upkeep too. albeit less, but you still need to clean your 510 & contacts in a regulated removable 18650 mod. further, it might be harder to clean a regulated mod than a mech because with a mech you can usually take them down to bits much more effectively than a regulated one. i dont have much experience with permanent battery regulated mods- that may be a great option for your pops.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
regulated mods need upkeep too. albeit less, but you still need to clean your 510 & contacts in a regulated removable 18650 mod. further, it might be harder to clean a regulated mod than a mech because with a mech you can usually take them down to bits much more effectively than a regulated one. i dont have much experience with permanent battery regulated mods- that may be a great option for your pops.
Very true. My dad had issues charging his egos and when I investigated, I was first shocked at how filthy the 510 was and then shocked that he didn't notice it. I got him the mech because he wanted something cheap and reliable that could hit hard with a good battery life. He's very mechanically inclined and treats many things in his life (tools, vehicles, etc) with a lot of care. What it comes down to is he doesn't want to make a real effort to quit smoking, so he is either consciously or subconsciously refusing to put forth the required effort towards vaping. If everything works perfectly once I set it up for him, he loves it, but the second something goes wrong, he's back to 2 packs a day. Maybe regulated battery in is the way to go with him. At least he won't hurt himself (or anyone else) with it.

VU Sponsors