Become a Patron!

Cant get my RTA to taste good with built coils

I recently got an RTA adapter for my SMOK baby beast tank. The deck came with two clapton coils on it (not sure of the wire gauge or hole diameter). I wicked it up (pretty tight because I had never done it before) and it ripper beautifully for a whole day. The next day i decided i wanted to practice making my own coils. Despite me trying every combination of coil i could make with some 24g and 30g wire they all tasted like burnt cotton. I watched some youtube videos on how to properly wick and made sure the cotton wasnt stuffed in the coil and was able to soak up juice easily, made sure that the ends of the wicks were tucked nice and loosely in the juice holes or whatever theyre called. The coils are heating up evenly without hotspots or anything. So where im at now is i got 2 regular coils just straight up 24g wrapped around about a .175" screwdriver 4 wraps which came out to .217ohms. The wraps are nice and spaced out and i feel like the coils is getting plently of juice. I am only hitting it at like 30 watts and it does taste nicer than the other coils i had made but i can still taste some cotton in there. This is really annoying and I just dont understand what I am doing wrong. Someone that knows what theyre talking about please help me out. I can provide pictures of what im talking about. Thanks!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use 5 wrap 3mm inside diameter Kanthal fused claptons in my Smok RBA's and they work fine.
Could be your cotton is junk or it's too tight

VU Sponsors