Become a Patron!

Can You Make A Clapton with Kanthal and nichrome?

grandsouls

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My buddy gave me some 30g nichrome he doesn’t use, Can I use this with my kanthal, to make staple coil build / Clapton’s, also what other kind of coils Can I make with 30g nichrome? I was thinking simple 3 wire twisted coil? Sorry for novice bullshit I searched a bunch but not finding comfirmed answer if I can use kanthal and nichrome together..? I would like to try to make a staple build soon. There super intriguing.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can use nichrome wire in claptons but using them as wraps is better than as the core wire. The 30 gauge is a bit thick for clapton wraps(34-40+ gauge is best wraps) so its going to have some ramp up time to get a good vape and quickly drain your batts. With claptons the mod registers the core wire(s) and the wraps just transfer heat so using kanthal core with any SS, kanthal or nichrome as wraps really doesn't matter, just some wire heat up faster than others. I build using 34 SS, Kanthal or nichrome wraps and all the claptons work dandy. I like building a 1.4ohm 2.5ID 30K/34SS clapton, its easy on the batts and produces a nice vape. Putting a big 3.0+mmID clapton into a subtank mini blocks a lot of the airflow so the smaller ID coil works much better. I don't use the 34 nichrome as much as SS and kanthal as wraps in my claptons but use 24-30gauge SS and kanthal as core wire. I tried to make twisted core wire clapton and didn't like the results so stick mostly to single core claptons.
I enjoy claptons enough that I haven't dwelled into other more fancy multiwire building.
Learning to thin the tails to remove bulk rather than cutting them will improve the juice flow to the coil using large ID coils with massive thick tails.

grandsouls

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can use nichrome wire in claptons but using them as wraps is better than as the core wire. The 30 gauge is a bit thick for clapton wraps(34-40+ gauge is best wraps) so its going to have some ramp up time to get a good vape and quickly drain your batts. With claptons the mod registers the core wire(s) and the wraps just transfer heat so using kanthal core with any SS, kanthal or nichrome as wraps really doesn't matter, just some wire heat up faster than others. I build using 34 SS, Kanthal or nichrome wraps and all the claptons work dandy. I like building a 1.4ohm 2.5ID 30K/34SS clapton, its easy on the batts and produces a nice vape. Putting a big 3.0+mmID clapton into a subtank mini blocks a lot of the airflow so the smaller ID coil works much better. I don't use the 34 nichrome as much as SS and kanthal as wraps in my claptons but use 24-30gauge SS and kanthal as core wire. I tried to make twisted core wire clapton and didn't like the results so stick mostly to single core claptons.
I enjoy claptons enough that I haven't dwelled into other more fancy multiwire building.
Learning to thin the tails to remove bulk rather than cutting them will improve the juice flow to the coil using large ID coils with massive thick tails.
Interesting thank you! Ok I shall give her a try I’ll do single kanthal 22g core with the 30g nichrome wrap , do you need a drill for that shit tho..:(?

grandsouls

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I did some research and I was looking at my dripbox 160 and it has a setting on temp control for NiCr would that be for nichrome? I have read nichrome is not temp control???

Attachments

• 64F51373-7330-4C42-9EB7-60D3D62EAD4A.jpeg
    64F51373-7330-4C42-9EB7-60D3D62EAD4A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
do you need a drill for that shit tho

Drill makes it much easier. I use the empty protank head method to make claptons having the drill standing up, made some DIY bobbon threaders and have the spool dangle under the wire(all found on youtube). I don't touch the spool cause IMO its very difficult to maintain a consistent pressure on the spool to make tight wraps spooling the wire in hand. Just don't cheap out on the spinners, shitty spinners cause lots of hassles. I tightened up the threader so its hard to dispense and I get nice tight wrap claptons that the wraps don't space out when building.
I don't know too much about the other wires. I use kanthal and SS cause I don't want to have to remember what fancy wire is in what atty. SS works on both TC and watts. I have the nichrome 34 cause I goofed a couple years ago ordering from Temco, not paying attention and didn't realize I ordered the wrong wire. It sat for eons until I began building claptons and found a use for it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The frames in this (unfinished) build are 2 wires twisted:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLfWmJzBv0_/?taken-by=wiretheory
Here she explains how to choose the correct thickness for the wrap wire vs that of the wire used for the frames:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-LbCXTpMVe/?taken-by=wiretheory
These are all delicate builds that, when you dry fire them, can get damaged very easily so grab a set of "Ceramic Sticks" by Coil Master if you want to try and replicate some of this stuff. The video linked below should help you get started as it shows you how to do it by using much thicker wire that is much easier to work with until you feel ready to move on to the more delicate versions. (More here: https://www.instagram.com/wiretheory/ )

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Edited the title OP :)

Yes is the answer mix n match away

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I did some research and I was looking at my dripbox 160 and it has a setting on temp control for NiCr would that be for nichrome? I have read nichrome is not temp control???
Yes it's for NiCr. Most Kanger mods from the Top Box Mini to the K Box 200 support NiCr temp control. Don't know about the newer models like the Iken. The coils do have to be NiCr only as far as I know.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yes it's for NiCr. Most Kanger mods from the Top Box Mini to the K Box 200 support NiCr temp control. Don't know about the newer models like the Iken. The coils do have to be NiCr only as far as I know.

Good point also to add mix and match for TC may well throw the Temp control on the device go with the core wire material OP and if there is a manual TCR adjust it accordingly I reckon as a way around it

I tend to stick with all of the same metal for TC though and use mix n match for wattage or power curve only

grandsouls

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good point also to add mix and match for TC may well throw the Temp control on the device go with the core wire material OP and if there is a manual TCR adjust it accordingly I reckon as a way around it

I tend to stick with all of the same metal for TC though and use mix n match for wattage or power curve only
Thank you!

grandsouls

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The frames in this (unfinished) build are 2 wires twisted:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLfWmJzBv0_/?taken-by=wiretheory
Here she explains how to choose the correct thickness for the wrap wire vs that of the wire used for the frames:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-LbCXTpMVe/?taken-by=wiretheory
These are all delicate builds that, when you dry fire them, can get damaged very easily so grab a set of "Ceramic Sticks" by Coil Master if you want to try and replicate some of this stuff. The video linked below should help you get started as it shows you how to do it by using much thicker wire that is much easier to work with until you feel ready to move on to the more delicate versions. (More here: https://www.instagram.com/wiretheory/ )

Excellent info ty

VU Sponsors