Become a Patron!

Building with Stainless Steel Rope

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey there VU, I'm very interested in working with SS Rope as a wicking material for a "Dry-Burn-Tasting" coil, but am unfamiliar with the oxidizing process used to make the rope non-conductive and safe to use as a wick. I saw that some use SS Mesh around their SS Rope to achieve cleaner wrapped coils with less hot spots, is this necessary? As I am not exactly interested in getting another rebuilding material just so I can use the SS Rope I got.
Any insight on wicking safely with SS Rope would be much appreciated!

Cloudy Shoe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
some SS rope has a nylon guide in it, make sure you get it all removed if it has it. torch the hell out of it to oxidize. ive seen people use only SS rope to wick, my experience has been a couple wraps of SS mesh or an ekowool sleeve between the SS rope and coil works best.

To use SS rope one does need a insulator for the rope. Reason being is that because of the "shape" or actual dimensions of the outer rope being uneven there will inevitably be gaps between the wire and the rope. Thus creating hot spots even after oxidation.
One can use SS mesh or what I like to use is silica braid sleeve. As it is good for dry burning when I change flavors.
And I know I won't have to fight any new hot spots that may result on occasion with the SS mesh.

Unsure what your set up or, set up's may be. But if you are going to use a particular atomizer in your collection just for taste testing such as I do when experimenting with new flavors I may make.
I would recommend a RDA with silica wick, as one can add only a few drops to taste, then quickly dry burn and move on.
But when vaping i'm a cotton kind of guy mostly :)

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lame, but thanks for your response Thamyris. I really don't want to go buy other wicking material, just to use my new wicking material. I guess I'm going to try a wickless coil first then!

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey there VU, I'm very interested in working with SS Rope as a wicking material for a "Dry-Burn-Tasting" coil, but am unfamiliar with the oxidizing process used to make the rope non-conductive and safe to use as a wick. I saw that some use SS Mesh around their SS Rope to achieve cleaner wrapped coils with less hot spots, is this necessary? As I am not exactly interested in getting another rebuilding material just so I can use the SS Rope I got.
Any insight on wicking safely with SS Rope would be much appreciated!
Hmm... s-s brake, derallleur cables...where's that meter...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The stuff can be a PITA to work with.

And you really want to be sure that any machine oils from the manufacturing process have been removed.

I would start by torching the living hell out of it. Turn it a bright cherry red or even white with a torch.

To further oxidize it, take some E-Liquid and apply that to the SS rope and burn that off with a torch. Do this a couple of times and you should be good to go.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The stuff can be a PITA to work with.

And you really want to be sure that any machine oils from the manufacturing process have been removed.

I would start by torching the living hell out of it. Turn it a bright cherry red or even white with a torch.

To further oxidize it, take some E-Liquid and apply that to the SS rope and burn that off with a torch. Do this a couple of times and you should be good to go.
BET...on all the above...

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As others have said, torch it really, really well. I don't like working with it, but the times I obtained the best results were with SS mesh wrapped around the cable underneath the coil. It's only purpose for me personally was to allow the coil to contact more surface area than it would have sitting on the cable/rope by itself.

VU Sponsors