Become a Patron!

BRC choice is this a mistake ?

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good evening to everyone,

this is my first post here, i apologize if i make a mistake but i can`t find an answear to my question, and that is :
Did i bought the correct batteries for my Innokin iTaste SVD Express Kit ?
i`ve bought 2 baterries L'lysColors 3.7V 3000mAh 18650 BRC, i`ve read on this forum that i need IMR ( high drain ) batteries, but on the net i can`t find the type of batteries that i`ve bought.
Where must i look or how i can determinate the type ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
on the battery is written : low discharge rate. this means is the opposite of high drain ?

Attachments

• batt BRC.jpg
    batt BRC.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 18

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do not use those batteries! They are re-wraps of God-Knows-What battery, and are most definitely mis-labeled (These are essentially Surefire batteries, even have the same wrapper design, and will take you to Surefire batteries if you google these ). If you can't identify what batteries they are, Don't Use Them!
Since there's no way of telling what these batteries are speced to, there's no way to know if they can be used safely. I would recommend you get yourself a battery from the Tried-And-True trusted battery OEMs. (Samsung, LG, Sony).
I also wouldn't recommend Button-Top batteries, they are hit and miss in what they will work in. Although your mod is telescopic, most aren't, so most mods won't accept Button-Tops.
Also, even though your mod may be a "low-powered" mod, it's always a good idea to only use High Discharge Cells in vape gear, no matter what the mod is capable of.

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Those are button top flashlight batteries at best a 5 amp and NOT SAFE for vaping.You want a 20 amp flat top.
DED420 types faster than me so go by what he said. He's correct.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are button top flashlight batteries at best a 5 amp and NOT SAFE for vaping.You want a 20 amp flat top.
DED420 types faster than me so go by what he said. He's correct.

I hardly think I type faster, just got here a minute before you did lol, but hey, I'll take that as a compliment! :D

I don't really know too much about flashlight batteries or anything, but I treat all Button-Top cells like they are AA batteries, not to be used for heavy loads. I don't know of any Button-Tops used for vaping, if there even are any?!? :confused:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I hardly think I type faster, just got here a minute before you did lol, but hey, I'll take that as a compliment! :D

I don't really know too much about flashlight batteries or anything, but I treat all Button-Top cells like they are AA batteries, not to be used for heavy loads. I don't know of any Button-Tops used for vaping, if there even are any?!? :confused:
My Nitecore flashlights take them so I know a little bit. I don't recall seeing one over 6.5 amps but I could be wrong.
I surely wouldn't vape with one.

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I understand :) thank you for the firm and quick answears, i started to look for other batteries in the meadtime.
Can i ask for your assistance in choosing a battery ?
After a quick google search i understand the meaning of Button-top, Flat top and protected.
I have some flat top batteries from a laptop but i can`t figure it out the type ( attached picture ). In a few words my e-cig is useless until i get the correct battery.
What does 20 amp mean ? 20 Ah ? 20000mAh ? i`m confused here

Is IMR ( high drain )batteries same thing with High Discharge batteries ?

Unfortunattly on amazon.it i cand`t fint OEM 18650 20 amp batteries, only this, but i think is a fake also :
Efest 3100 mAh IMR 18650 20 amp

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I understand :) thank you for the firm and quick answears, i started to look for other batteries in the meadtime.
Can i ask for your assistance in choosing a battery ? after a quick google search i understand the meaning of Button-top, Flat top and protected.
I have some flat top batteries from a laptop but i can`t figure it out the type ( attached picture ). In a few words my e-cig is useless until i get the correct battery.

Is IMR ( high drain )batteries same thing with High Discharge batteries ?

Unfortunattly on amazon.it i cand`t fint OEM 18650 20 amp batteries only, only this but i think is a fake also :
Efest 3100 mAh IMR 18650 20 amp
That's not even an Efest label. I'm surprised you can't find Samsung, Sony or LG batteries listed.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
try http://liionwholesale.com/

Samsung 25r, sony vtc4, vtc5, lgHE2,He4 seem to be the better ones, with, an emphasis on the Samsung 25r and sony vtc5

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMR refers to the chemistry of the battery and is the least likely to burst in to flames if you screw up and no don't use a battery from a laptop.
If the much hatted Efest is all you can find so be it. With a 15 watt mod they are better than the other ones your looking at. At least they are ok for vaping.
In my other post I thought you were showing a picture of an Efest not a laptop battery.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
efest are rewraps, and I have my personal feelings on them; but, used in a low power (40w and under) regulated mod or a positive ohm mechanical .... they are not bad.

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's not even an Efest label. I'm surprised you can't find Samsung, Sony or LG batteries listed.
The picture attached above are flat-top batteries from a laptop Asus lamborghini VX2.

I`ve found SONY VTC5 18650 - 2600MAH - 30A ( Current attached photo )
  • 2600mAh
  • 30A High Drain
  • Flat top
Would this be a safe battery ?

Attachments

• sony.jpg
    sony.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The picture attached above are flat-top batteries from a laptop Asus lamborghini VX2.

I`ve found SONY VTC5 18650 - 2600MAH - 30A
  • 2600mAh
  • 30A High Drain
  • Flat top
Would this be a safe battery ?
As long as it's a trusted site YES YES YES...By all means a good battery. They are rated at 20 amps but can do 30 if need be.

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, found them on amazon.it and it`s prime also :D
Thanks guys, you don`t know how much I apreciate the help you guys gave me today.

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for sharing, I do know that Li-Ion batteries are dangerous, I always handlled my batteries carefully, but that video amazes me. Something was definitely wrong.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
here's my take.. up until this past summer, sony batteries were not being made due to the Fukashima nuclear disaster. As of mid summer they were back online. But, for a while people were counterfeiting those cells. That's the point that the Samsung and LG batteries got popular with vapors.
my 0.02cents, is that I NEVER buy batteries from amazon or ebay-ever. I always got to RTDvapor or Liionwholesale. Mostly because I can grab a 2 battery case for an extra 75cents.

Now, that's my personal take ^^^ a lot of guys here know of a seller on ebay and amazon that they do trust. so, I could be being a little too careful. But, i'll leave that up to them to talk about

gangs73r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My problem is that I`m from italy, and Liionwholesale ships in US and Canada as far as I can see, my only choice is amazon.it or ebay.it. i have had also bad experience with them but always sorted them out with diplomatic speaking or somethimes Paypal refund.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ahhhhhhhhhhhh didn't realize that.. sorry man.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
well, take it like this, if the guy has good reviews, and seems to be a good vendor, then you are probably going to be ok.
but SONY has been back online making those cells for for at least 8 months now.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
well, take it like this, if the guy has good reviews, and seems to be a good vendor, then you are probably going to be ok.
but SONY has been back online making those cells for for at least 8 months now.

I agree. I've gotten R/C Li-po packs and helicopter parts with no problems. If the vendor looks legit and has good reviews go for it.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Nitecore flashlights take them so I know a little bit. I don't recall seeing one over 6.5 amps but I could be wrong.
I surely wouldn't vape with one.

Orbrtonic has had Protected nipple tops restricter plated @ 10A (NASCAR reference there that applies).

Despite the fact the label resembles something we avoid, that does appear to be a safe protected cell, available only in EU markets (as far as I can tell).
You can see the shrink wrap appears to hide the conductive strip and pc board, esp at the bottom. This is different from other nipple tops that are just welded on top with no circuit board or strip, like the "xxxxxfires".

If this is the case, if the mod calls for higher current, it will either throttle it back or shut off.

edit for this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LlysColors®-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-3000mAh/dp/B00P9952GE

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Orbrtonic has had Protected nipple tops restricter plated @ 10A (NASCAR reference there that applies).

Despite the fact the label resembles something we avoid, that does appear to be a safe protected cell, available only in EU markets (as far as I can tell).
You can see the shrink wrap appears to hide the conductive strip and pc board, esp at the bottom. This is different from other nipple tops that are just welded on top with no circuit board or strip, like the "xxxxxfires".

If this is the case, if the mod calls for higher current, it will either throttle it back or shut off.

edit for this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LlysColors®-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-3000mAh/dp/B00P9952GE

Protected or not I still wouldn't vape with nor recommend a low drain flashlight battery.

Edit: I forgot to add; thanks for the info and link.

Last edited:

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Protected or not I still wouldn't vape with nor recommend a low drain flashlight battery.

The max output of that mod is 15w @ 6 volts.
Do the math on the mod power requirements.
Look at what the lowest drain protected circuit battery available is.
That battery could suffice.
If it has some atypical circuit, it simply will not work and cause no harm from the circuit protection.

However, if it IS a relabeled "Ultrafire 3000 BRC" cell, further research finds it is less than 1000 mah capacity, so it is a piece of merda.
That's the problem with batteries of no discernable pedigree. Also, no testing results found on circuit they use either.
So, I agree w/ consensus.... dump them.

And, if that mod cannot use flat-tops, the 'lower drain' protected cells orbtronics has are sufficient, as they were the popular option if you had a Provari which required nipple tops. The bonus - you can get higher capacity - i.e. longer useful charge.

Looked at amazon/italy.
Batteries are not cheap there since VAT is already added on.

The only choices there worth considering are the rewrapped (like orbtronic) panasonics (unwrapped also) and samsungs.

http://www.amazon.it/s/ref=sr_pg_3?rh=i:aps,k:lithium+18650&page=3&keywords=lithium+18650&ie=UTF8&qid=1456889113&spIA=B00MS4U5BU,B00F55LIYW

I would hit a European blog and source a vendor.
A quick search turned up this event.... with sponsor links.

http://www.vapitaly.com/

One linked sponsor has these flat-tops available, maybe others can give opinions on, but they seem reasonable compared to amazonia.
https://www.svapoweb.it/efest-18650-2500-mah-flat-top

Ciao.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The max output of that mod is 15w @ 6 volts.
Do the math on the mod power requirements.
Look at what the lowest drain protected circuit battery available is.
That battery could suffice.
If it has some atypical circuit, it simply will not work and cause no harm from the circuit protection.
Sounds like your just trying to prove a point.

VU Sponsors