Become a Patron!

Brand new mod user.. Need a bit of help

Hello Folks.

Firstly, great forum! Thank you.

I am currently an all-in-one pen style user, currently have a JACVapour S22 kit which has served me well, but now I'm looking for a mod, mainly because I travel a lot and would like a mod with an external battery that I can break down and pack away, as sometimes the countries I travel through have banned vaping. Annoying but realistic.

I am looking to continue with my current S22 tank, and I do enjoy the MTL vape, I haven't quite the DL team just yet, so I'm looking to keep my current tank.

The mod I'm looking at is a no frills/basic mod, but I'm also hoping you can help me with some questions.

1) I'm looking at the Smoant Battlestar Mini 80W Mod - My current tank has a 510 connection, so I assume that will fit and work fine on this mod? Infact, will my tank work on all mods fine?

2) I've NEVER set up a mod, so the usual anxieties come with "What if it blows up etc". I know there's lots of protection on these devices these days. But here's what I think I should do, and here's hoping you'll correct me:

- My current coil has a resistance rating of 1.0ohm, and it says to be used between 12-18W. So, I'm thinking that on my device I need to be in "VW" mode and I need to set my wattage on my device to be within the 12-18W range, is this correct? Do I only set my wattage in the range of the device parameters? What If I go further?

I appreciate there's a bit there, that it sometimes already being asked, however I would greatly appreciate any time you have to reply.

Many thanks.

James

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It seems you have a good grasp. A single 18650 battery mod like the Battlestar Mini would be great for you. I might suggest also picking up a battery charger to charge a spare battery while you keep using your mod. Also a plastic case for storing your batteries while they are not in your mod. Never carry batteries "loose!"

If you go much higher in wattage, you risk drying out and then burning your coil - it will need to be replaced if this happens.

It seems you have a good grasp. A single 18650 battery mod like the Battlestar Mini would be great for you. I might suggest also picking up a battery charger to charge a spare battery while you keep using your mod. Also a plastic case for storing your batteries while they are not in your mod. Never carry batteries "loose!"

If you go much higher in wattage, you risk drying out and then burning your coil - it will need to be replaced if this happens.

Thanks for your quick reply - Yes the Battlestar does say that it can be charged using a USB port but I will go out and get a charger. I haven't bought it yet, but just trying to clear up if it will work, and it seems so.

I'm assuming the VW mode is a more universal/can't go wrong mode? And I'm also assuming, If I set the wattage, the rest is calculated and done by the MOD?

Again, apologies for the novice questions - We all start off somewhere.

Happy for any further suggestions.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hello Folks.

Firstly, great forum! Thank you.

I am currently an all-in-one pen style user, currently have a JACVapour S22 kit which has served me well, but now I'm looking for a mod, mainly because I travel a lot and would like a mod with an external battery that I can break down and pack away, as sometimes the countries I travel through have banned vaping. Annoying but realistic.

I am looking to continue with my current S22 tank, and I do enjoy the MTL vape, I haven't quite the DL team just yet, so I'm looking to keep my current tank.

The mod I'm looking at is a no frills/basic mod, but I'm also hoping you can help me with some questions.

1) I'm looking at the Smoant Battlestar Mini 80W Mod - My current tank has a 510 connection, so I assume that will fit and work fine on this mod? Infact, will my tank work on all mods fine?

2) I've NEVER set up a mod, so the usual anxieties come with "What if it blows up etc". I know there's lots of protection on these devices these days. But here's what I think I should do, and here's hoping you'll correct me:

- My current coil has a resistance rating of 1.0ohm, and it says to be used between 12-18W. So, I'm thinking that on my device I need to be in "VW" mode and I need to set my wattage on my device to be within the 12-18W range, is this correct? Do I only set my wattage in the range of the device parameters? What If I go further?

I appreciate there's a bit there, that it sometimes already being asked, however I would greatly appreciate any time you have to reply.

Many thanks.

James

Welcome James! :wave:

Your current tank should work just fine on a Battlestar mini. As long as it's a 510 connection you can use it on most mods.

As far as "blowing up"... this is where battery safety comes in. Be sure you are using reputable batteries with a min of 20amp. Some good examples are: LG HE2, Sony VTC4 or 5's, Samsung 30Q. The regulated mod does the work to protect you from over taxing the batteries.

As long as your vaping at 1.0 Ohm there really aren't any worries. Just be cautious going forward if you decide to use a different tank with a sub ohm coil that the mod you put it on is rated for sub-ohm and check the limits. The battlestar mini has a Resistance Range: 0.05 - 2.0ohm for Variable Temperature Mode and 0.1 - 5.0ohm for Variable Wattage Mode. And yes, you want to stay within the recommended wattage of the coil. Otherwise you'll end up vaping burnt cotton.

The setting of the mod depends on the material your coil is made with. On the mod you are looking at.. standard kanthal coils would be used in VW... other materials you would match to the appropriate setting. The battlestar mini offers VW/ Bypass/ TC(Ni,Ti,SS)/ TCR modes.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You can get latex rubber battery condoms. (for lack of a better or more fun to type word).
All I would add, is always start at your lowest mod setting, and adjust up to where you like it. An 80 watt mod will cook that coil instantly if the power accidentally goes up. It's something to keep in mind when you start vaping each session.

Remember though, in future when buying new tanks, you only have 80w to work with, so a Cloud Beast is out.. and baby beast is really stretching.
My first tank was a kanger topbox mini. It come with 2 factory made coils (0.50 and 0.30 ohm I believe and an RBA mini, to build your own coils) and it runs very well between 25 to 35 watts, up to 75/80 watts depending on your coil.
A 50 to 100w box is great for a first step up. So 80w would be great for a slightly past beginner vaper.

VU Sponsors