Become a Patron!

Box mod shopping list?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay. So, I want to make a boxmod.

I can buy hardwood for the box enclosure for a local hardware shop.

Okay. I'm thinking 10agw solid copper wire for all of the wiring. I'm not sure where to find shrink wraps for the wires either.

I'm not sure about how to make the battery contacts, but I don't want to use a batter sled. I'm thinking of using plate topped copper wire.

I know I'll need a mosfet to take the amp load off of this switch. Especially since this is parallel and could end up pushing nearly 17 times the amp load of the switch. Are there specific mosfets that I should use or will anything work? Also, I've heard that a resistor attached to two of the mosfet's leads will make the switch work better. I'm not sure though.

I like the design of the Fat Daddy 510 V4, but I don't like that it's made of high resistance material. It could have been all copper. Are there any comparable 510s that are all copper?

Also, here's something that's more of a wishlist than a thing I'm sure I can find. Does anyone know where I can find a momentary toggle switch? Specifically something that looks like this?

Toggle%20Switch%202.jpg

Like I said. It's more of a wishlist thing, and I'm sure I can find something else that will work. I just like that the switch is covered so it's pocket protected and that it looks like the detonators from Stargate SG-1.

PICT1627.jpg

Also, I'm planning on basing my wiring on this diagram:

dual-parallel-n-channel-mosfet-box-mod-jpg.5577

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Switch can be found at AutoZone, as well as the shrink wrap.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Switch can be found at AutoZone, as well as the shrink wrap.

Cool. Does everything look okay with the list though?

Oh! That's the other thing. I need to get magnets. I want to actually hold the entire back plate on with magnets as well as the battery door to make it easier to make adjustments or repairs as needed without having to take the back plate off every time to change batteries. The idea would be to use a short, recessed magnet on the wall and a long magnet not sunk all the way into the back plate to make it more secure.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A fdv 510 (v3 or v4) is the way to go. In my opinion you want stainless steel threading, an integral landing pad and a spring loaded pin. It provides a strong and consistent connection. The benefits of the fdv connectors greatly out weigh any drawbacks of the conductivity of stainless steel.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks like an ejector seat switch. Good ideas though. But that style switch might look a bit "gawdy" on the side of a simple box. Unless you designed the box more "sicence fiction" weapon type thing. But for a simple square box maybe an on/off switch inside. I think 'Find My Vapes' on you tube shows a detailed video from start to finish of a box mod build with this on/off switch

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Looks like you are off to a great start!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You could just use the hammond box magnets, drill some pilot holes and drop em in. And like it was mentioned above, the auto parts store should have your heat shrink and that ejector switch. And a website called Lamptron had some really cool looking switches as well, if you are looking for options. My only concern with that switch would be that it can snap off if you drop it. It's happened to similar switches on my guitar pedals. It doesn't take much to snap that stem off.
http://www.lamptron.com/product/switches/black-polycarbonate-vandal-resistant-illuminated/
3ed4b8b0be8bc90e138c402f0028b46d.jpg

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A fdv 510 (v3 or v4) is the way to go. In my opinion you want stainless steel threading, an integral landing pad and a spring loaded pin. It provides a strong and consistent connection. The benefits of the fdv connectors greatly out weigh any drawbacks of the conductivity of stainless steel.

I suppose. Anyway, I don't ever plan on actually maxing out the batteries of the build (I'll be able to build down to 0.07ohms, but I like my lings not being crispy) so I'll have plenty of headroom to make up for SS's less than stellar conductivity.

Looks like an ejector seat switch. Good ideas though. But that style switch might look a bit "gawdy" on the side of a simple box. Unless you designed the box more "sicence fiction" weapon type thing. But for a simple square box maybe an on/off switch inside. I think 'Find My Vapes' on you tube shows a detailed video from start to finish of a box mod build with this on/off switch

Actually I do like it precisely because of the, "weapon-ish," look. I got the idea watching some Stargate SG-1 reruns. Their C-4 detonators use this kind of switch. The only thing I'm not sure about is if there actually are momentary versions of this kind of switch. Most of the toggles I've seen are maintained. That might get me to go with a button instead.

I'm wondering about mosfets though. Will most mosfets be able to handle 4.2v and up to 60a?

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just checked out that site, sparkfun, whole lot of electronic stuff. That particular switch is $1.95 with the cover. tactile switches 12 pk for like $5.00 single black ones for .35 cents. We'll all be expecting pictures of your creation next week.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just checked out that site, sparkfun, whole lot of electronic stuff. That particular switch is $1.95 with the cover. tactile switches 12 pk for like $5.00 single black ones for .35 cents. We'll all be expecting pictures of your creation next week.

Uh... might not be next week. I haven't soldered in a long time so I need to get a soldering iron or borrow one from a friend. Regardless, when it's done you guys will see it. Thanks for all of the help.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suppose. Anyway, I don't ever plan on actually maxing out the batteries of the build (I'll be able to build down to 0.07ohms, but I like my lings not being crispy) so I'll have plenty of headroom to make up for SS's less than stellar conductivity.

Actually I do like it precisely because of the, "weapon-ish," look. I got the idea watching some Stargate SG-1 reruns. Their C-4 detonators use this kind of switch. The only thing I'm not sure about is if there actually are momentary versions of this kind of switch. Most of the toggles I've seen are maintained. That might get me to go with a button instead.

I'm wondering about mosfets though. Will most mosfets be able to handle 4.2v and up to 60a?
Yes they're out there. I forget the part # though. I think i got it from this forum. You might be right about the switch only being on/off and not momentary.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lol. Everyone refers to it as a "eject" button.

Me, I would refer to it as a NOS switch.

I can tell who prefers high speed cars to those who prefer James Bond movies. :D

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Check this out by VapnFagan on you tube
Review of the Capsella Mechanical Box Mod by SilvisWorks
Might get your mind out of the soldering gutter in going in a different direction.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol. Everyone refers to it as a "eject" button.

Me, I would refer to it as a NOS switch.

I can tell who prefers high speed cars to those who prefer James Bond movies. :D

And Gibson guitar fans will call them pickup switches.

What about those of us who call them detonator switches?

VU Sponsors