Become a Patron!

Besides to quit smoking, why did you start vaping?

briand

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started vaping, but I don't smoke, never have. Just curious as to why you started vaping if it wasn't to quit smoking.

Ive always been curious about it, ever since I heard the first person say "its not smoke its vape" I was like what the hell is the difference? Never really looked into it, because of the "douchey" following it seemed to have. (This is from my perspective, my area, might be different where you're from). The people who I saw do it in public always wanted to make a scene JUST to tell people they are allowed to vape anywhere, no laws, its not smoke its vape etc. First time I actually saw it, this kid in front of me at Wal-Mart was wearing a big blingy pen style vape on a necklace and puffing left and right. He turns around and asks me "Do you vape, bro?" I said nope, and he gave me a whole rant on how awesome it is, helps you quit smoking then takes a huge puff and blows it in front of him, not necessarily towards me, but definitely not away. I was like thats a good reason right there, its rude as hell to blow it towards someone just because there are no regulations or rules (yet).

Fast forward a few years, its alot more common, I dont see people making a huge point to tell you they can do it anywhere, etc. Im at a friends party and we have about 6 or 7 Jeeps off in this construction area his family owns and were all just kind of jumping in different Jeeps when we would stop for beer or whatever.

This guy gets in the front with him, I was in the back and hes got a huge box mod. Hitting it left and right blowing huge clouds. It smelled SO damn good, it was like a Snickerdoodle cookie. After that, I knew I wanted to try it, bought a little all-in-one pen setup for like $35 and some strawberry e-juice and it was alright, but there was so little vapor production. I found a few local vape shops and bought some of the Cutwood juice it was like some kind of chocolate/vanilla fudge and I fell in love. Upgraded to the Kanger Subox Mini 50w kit, and was hooked. Just yesterday got all my mail in with a Reuleaux RX200, and Twisted Messes RDA. Talk about flavor!

I have anxiety and stress over everything, so I think in a way that smoking helps people with anxiety, this helps me. I never get nic in mine though. Im a fidgety person, so it seems like I always have to be touching something or moving around which this helps tremendously with.

Plus the community is awesome. Met a ton of cool ass people at the shops, and this forum is probably one of the most helpful, cool, but laid-back forums i've ever been a part of.

Plus, I SWEAR this curbs my sweet tooth sometimes! My favorite juice so far has been "Apple Jax"

Why did you start, besides to quit smoking?

MASSIVE

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Started vaping to quit smoking -- Which wasn't even fair. Could've quit that very moment. Keeping with it because - well, I reaaally enjoy it and absolutely - Keeps my snacking in check better than anything else I've ever tried.

briand

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first started I was like oh ill try the Kanger which ill stick with, but once I used it for awhile I was like okay now I want to try an RDA with more power, which I just got yesterday and now im like hm, I wonder what other RDAs I can try.

Now I know why when I watch these YouTubers, they have a whole bookshelf full of gear. (I mean I know probably 3/4's was sent to them for free) but still lol

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had no thoughts whatsoever about quitting smoking. I just wanted something to "smoke" indoors so I could stop freezing to death on the porch on cold nights. THEN I discovered what a great substitute vaping was, so I quit smoking because I finally COULD. THEN I discovered how much money was saved by not buying coffin nails. Freaking miraculous.

Andria

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That whole, "You can vape anywhere you want!" attitude irks me. Those people are the reason why nobody can have nice things. I know it'd piss me right off if I was walking in a plaza when somebody walked past and just fucking sandbagged me with a big ass cloud.

Well... ...I vape, so it wouldn't bother me at all, but you know what I mean. I just don't get how people can possibly not see how it might be inappropriate to vape in certain places. It's just a matter of giving people their space. When you exhale something that is tangible to the senses from inside your own body into someone else's personal space, you are violating their personal space. Doesn't matter if its smoke or vapor... ...people are going to feel disrespected either way. How people don't understand this very simple social construct is beyond me. It's something you're supposed to learn about long before you're old enough to vape.

The super-loud ideologues tend to be the same people who vape because they think its cool and therefor expect that other people will think its as cool as they do. Vaping is cool, but being a vaper is not inherently cool. I mean, yeah, vaping is cool... ...if you're a vaper. But that is to say it's cool on a personal level... ...it's fun to tinker with vaping gear and making the switch completely changes how you feel and see yourself, but damn, that's all you! That's your goodness. You can't expect people to just respect it unconditionally. It's not something you do for them - they get nothing from it. It's for you to appreciate and enjoy. Find a better way to express yourself. It's shallow to use vaping as a means for impressing random people on the street.

I dunno, it almost makes you lamer. Among a group of genuine hobbyists, the overzealous show-off stands out as a poser... ...someone with something to prove but nothing to offer. That high-school mentality isn't really very cash money in the real world.

The [perhaps] harsh reality is that nobody else gives a fuck about what vaping means to you. Lotta vapers out there kinda live in a bubble when it comes to how they expect to be seen by other people. It's not a vaper's world... ...it's something we all kind of have to share. Don't be shitty to people who don't share your views unless you're really set on alienating yourself and living entirely in your bubble... ...the last thing this world needs are more socially-oblivious fuckards.

Sorry, that shit, just bugs me... ...not just with vaping, but anything at all, really. People who get up in your face about what they're into are the fucking worst... ...like, "THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW HOW AWESOME THIS IS AND HOW COOL IT IS THAT I'M INTO IT!" crowd. There's a fine line between enthusiasm and obnoxiousness. These interests are nothing but crutches for people who should probably work a little more on figuring out who they are so that they can learn to carry themselves with a sense of confidence and self-control WITHOUT having to rely on something else to complete the whole picture of who they are.

I think that once you reach a certain age, you're expected to stop following what's cool and start learning to be your own damned person. That's all. The way some people approach vaping is just ugly to me. Never trust a person who makes it a point to demonstrate how much they live and breathe something every time that you see them... ...they're playing a nasty trick on both of you.

I have anxiety and stress over everything, so I think in a way that smoking helps people with anxiety, this helps me. I never get nic in mine though. Im a fidgety person, so it seems like I always have to be touching something or moving around which this helps tremendously with.
Yeah, I can attest to that. I have this problem because of my ADHD. I'm not really anxious so much as I am antsy. I don't fidget out of fear... ...I just kinda gotta stay moving in order to not feel like I'm going to vibrate out of my skin. It's definitely helpful to have something to keep my hands busy.

For me, the pretty bow on the present that is vaping was the tweaking aspect of it. I like to tinker and play with stuff to change the way it works. I like that hands on, thinkey-thinkey stuff. I'm really into it. I like to work on guitar electronics, build computers, modify paintball guns, etc.. Just made sense to take up vaping. I went into it with the intent of making a hobby out of it. And you know? Sometimes I think that's a big part of why I stuck it out through the hard parts. It scratched an intellectual itch for me, whereas smoking was just a vice. I'd probably still have been interested in vaping if I had never smoked.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For you Robot Zombie

tumblr_ne2xgj19sh1rnhnqfo1_500.gif

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of people with ADHD suffer from some (or multiple) forms of anxiety. It's pretty common. Myself included, damn social anxiety.
I smoked to keep my anxiety down, switched to vaping since it is healthier and cheaper.

I wont quit vaping, if the worst should happen and vaping is completely abolished, then I will go back to cigs.
My anxiety can get really bad without nicotine, even had a few anxiety attacks when I first switched from cigs to vaping until I got my setup tuned good.

And no, it's not even a withdrawal from a nicotine addiction. Evidenced by the fact that during 15 years of smoking, I mostly just smoked when at work. I rarely smoked on my days off and when I had to take off for extended periods (like both hernia surgeries and carpel tunnel surgery), I actually had to force myself to smoke occasionally just so I wouldn't get un-used to cigs.

On a side note, having recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I find vaping sweet flavors helps me avoid the temptations to eat bad foods.

Last edited:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did it purely to stop smoking, at first.

Then about the time I started pulling the chimneys off of old kanger atomizers and replacing the silica wick with cotton, I found the 'click.' It's happened a few times in life, where I'm curious about something and tinker with it a little bit. More than often the hobby or activity is just left at a certain introductory stage and a "meh, that was neat." But every so often, something will 'click,' and I'll be on it. So I went out and bought a simple simon RDA (I believe it was a UD W-something, the one with only two posts) and a couple feet of wire, and there it was, that was a fun stage to get into.

Then one day I stumbled across my upteenth "you should DIY" comment of the day and decided, you know what, I mixed my tobacco when I rolled it - I've been spending a fortune on juice, let's just take a look. 'Click.'

That's the latest one. I'm comfortable where I'm at, now; I can do the simple things, the things that I enjoy and the things that keep me interested in the overall hobby. But it's definitely stagnated, I keep on buying shit to see if I can't get something else to 'click,' but it'll happen when it happens.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tired of paying additional taxes for repayment of misspent bullshit. Then I got tired of paying for illegals and their for health care which they never got.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quitting smokes was obviously at the top of the reason list, but tbh I probably would have started vaping even if I didnt smoke.

I tried the little shitty stick pen vapes a couple years ago when the gas stations started selling em, but hated em. From then on I thought vaping was totally stupid and lame, until I went to visit a buddy of mine who had a couple real mods and tanks. Hed let me hit em and I LOVED the flavor of it and the thickness of the vapor and all that. From then on I thought more and more about it until I finally just bought one.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Wow. The guy asks "Why did you start vaping, besides quitting smoking," and gets mostly "to quit smoking," a rant about vapers' behaviour and an applause for the rant.

I started in hopes that it'd curb the habit of munching I've had ever since I quit smoking 5-1/2 years ago, and in hopes my vaping would encourage my wife to stick with it and quit smoking. Then it became a bit of a hobby. I think now: More a hobby. I don't vape that much.

Sure do buy a lot of vape gear for someone who doesn't vape much, though :)

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When my wife was pregnant for the first time i started vaping so the smell of the cigs didnt repulse her, since her senses were like woah... i didnt smoke around her, but she couldnt even smell me after the fact and washing hands and rinsing mouth didnt help... i had no real intentions to quit smoking cigs ever, but im glad it happened.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow. The guy asks "Why did you start vaping, besides quitting smoking," and gets mostly "to quit smoking," a rant about vapers' behaviour and an applause for the rant.

I started in hopes that it'd curb the habit of munching I've had ever since I quit smoking 5-1/2 years ago, and in hopes my vaping would encourage my wife to stick with it and quit smoking. Then it became a bit of a hobby. I think now: More a hobby. I don't vape that much.

Sure do buy a lot of vape gear for someone who doesn't vape much, though :)

Yeah. For me, quitting smoking was just the #1 side effect of vaping. I only meant to be able to stay indoors on cold nights, and ended up not needing that ashtray out on the porch at all. :D It's still out there though, in case any smokers come by -- I didn't smoke in my own house, sure as hell not letting anyone else! :D

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No other reason than to get off the stinkies, was a pack a day smoker for over 36 years. This is the only thing that has worked.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well...I had the tattos, and the neckbeard and black t-shirt,so I thought...what the hell .....let's go full bore.

briand

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do have a beard and a couple tattoos I think I unfortunately fit the stereotype lol :rolleyes:

Better than being a little fat kid (is that a double negative?) making YouTube videos in his moms basement on a 1mp camera of vaping nasty shit. I saw the absolute worst thing shared on Facebook the other day of a kid dripping a ...bodily substance... on an RDA. He was so happy about it too. I couldn't watch it when I saw what he was dripping.

Bullshit like that is why vaping has such a bad rep.

briand

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One of my good friends/coworkers smokes at least a pack a day, I'm trying to get him to try vaping but he keeps hesitating. He's so interested in all the flavors I tell him about and whatnot but he just won't do it. He's an older guy, I think that's what's holding him back, thinking these are way too fancy or something. I told him about the basic setups like the Kangertech Subox where all he would essentially have to do is screw in a new coil every so often which I know would save him money.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One of my good friends/coworkers smokes at least a pack a day, I'm trying to get him to try vaping but he keeps hesitating. He's so interested in all the flavors I tell him about and whatnot but he just won't do it. He's an older guy, I think that's what's holding him back, thinking these are way too fancy or something. I told him about the basic setups like the Kangertech Subox where all he would essentially have to do is screw in a new coil every so often which I know would save him money.

I think it's a battle for those of us who've been smokers for a long time; the fear that it won't work -- along with the fear that IT WILL! That's why I made no commitments to quitting when I started, I was just trying out a cool experiment.

Andria

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I didn't even consider quitting smoking. I'd smoked for 30 years, and I loved smoking. I had never once tried to quit. I was just looking for an economic way to augment my nic intake, as cigs here were reaching $13 a pack, and I smoked just over a pack a day.

I bought a EgoT/CE4, and a day later was smoking half of what I used to. 2 weeks later, I got my first real mod and atty, and never finished the 1/2 pack of cigs I had left. Quitting smoking was just a natural consequence of vaping, there was no anxiety, or stress, vaping is just better in every way. My sense of smell and taste returned, and I feel healthier, I DIY now, and have converted virtually all of my friends from cigs to vaping.

I actually enjoy the taste of what I inhale now.

Ello110

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To quit smoking was half the reason. Started with a gas station pen, was frustrated with the fact that cigs actually made more cloud than the pen, found my first sub-ohm experience, and wham I was hooked.
So, the big reason was I loved vaping big flavor from a sub and being able to choose my flavors, vaping is a highly customizable experience.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started vaping because I was interested in the technology. 'Had been for a couple of years but little cigalikes cost $150 or so at that time (2006-ish). With popularity came affordability. So it was, after six months of research I ordered my first mod, an 18650 model called a Chuck. That was late 2009. It cost $80 and used carts. There were no cartomizers ... or tanks, for that matter.

I smoked over 40 years. I neither loved it nor hated it but was OK with it and simply accepted it as a part of who I was. With no conscious, overt intention, I inadvertently swapped one habit for another and did so in seven days. I consider myself one of the lucky ones for having done so.

Off topic now, it is the greatest challenge for me to be succinct. There is much more to this story as I have related here and elsewhere and will undoubtedly do so again. It pains me to be so brief but brevity seems most appropriate here.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I went to reorder my usual Swedish Snus online back in 2010. Only to find the P.A.C.T. Act took it away. There was no way in hell I was going to pick up another cigarette. So my wife and I went totally crazy at Totally Wicked :D 36 mg with eGo's did the trick ;)

Twiztidwoundz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, my partner wanted to quit smoking. I didn't... I wasn't all that interested in vaping, I didn't know anything about it. She picked out the evic mini and the battery's, asked me if I would give it a shot. She had her friend help her find all the information she needed and mentioned I would try too, he told her to have me go cold turkey with the vape.

I ordered 2 of the mods and 4 battery's and a charger.

Well they arrived and I ran out and got some gas station juice because we pooled all our money togather to get the mods and I didn't know which end was up on juice and neglected to order any.

The day the mods came, the day, I became a vapor for her to quit. And it's great not going outside, fuck the Oregon rain !!!

Sent from cat hair using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors