Become a Patron!

Behind times on coils, need the Cliffs Notes (j/k)

jball49

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
;) Ok, so I built my first coils a year ago last spring but haven't built but a few in the last 10 months or more. I built some for a son a while back and surprisingly hit what he wanted for resistance within a hundredth of an ohm the first try. But, all I have had in the past was a few dripping rda's and that really isn't my thing to sit and drip. Nice for trying different flavors and to do once in a while but just not really my thing. I have been using mainly Nautilus tanks since I first tried them in spring of 2014. So now I want to get a box mod, a sub ohm tank (not sure which yet) and rebuild (some of) the coils for it. Of course I probably need to try the Atlantis or Triton given how much I have liked the Nautilus. My big question is: I keep hearing talk about different materials for the coil than Kanthal and don't know a thing about the other types of materials people are using. I also have only used organic cotton balls to make wicks and it sounds as if some have come up with other ideas (not sure whether they are better). Since I do suffer from some cognitive issues from a disease process, sometimes it is hard for me to remember or learn from scattered posts about the subject a new way of doing things which why I ask for some help making sense out of what is the best way to produce coils. Also, I seemed to have been stuck on a particular size of the coil because of the tool I use to create them and perhaps it would be worth trying some different diameter coils. And what is it with the different cottons, is most of this gimmick or does it make that much of a difference?

So, If someone would be so kind as to offer their wisdom as to what I should explore as far as different materials or types of coils (keep seeing twisted wire) that would be great! I am just as clear as mud on all of the different types of materials being used for coils now. Perhaps just sticking to Kanthal and the way I have always have done them is fine, but it feels like I am missing some big progress here on better coils so help is much appreciated! :)

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are all sorts of different alloys you can use now, sure. It's not all a gimmick, but most of it is priced like one. I reckon most people use them because they have slightly different heating properties than kanthal. It's not exactly the next new thing in vaping. It's just a preference.

Then, there are nickel and titanium, which are used in "sensing" devices that can regulate the temperature of your coil with some precision. It's a whole new world, Aladdin style. Just something to consider when you're shopping for boxes. Lots of them give you this option, now.

Different wicking materials, I couldn't tell you. I still prefer Japanese organic cotton, myself. I buy it on amazon, straight from Japan. A lot of these fancier-looking pre-packaged vape cottons are essentially the same stuff, only more expensive.

Most people still use kanthal or nichrome, though building has gotten a bit more elaborate. You can do A LOT with just kanthal. Start with twisted wire, flattened wire, clapton, and parallel builds. Twisted wire is the easiest to do. If you have a drill and a screwdriver, then you can twist wire in no time. Claptons are more difficult and some people find they aren't worth it. Youde sells clapton wire at a decent price if you want to try it out. Flattened wire can be bought from Lightening Vapes for cheap. Parallels, you can do with whatever round kanthal you have.

Start surfing youtube for build videos and you'll find the sky is the limit. It's hard to know where to start, really. At least with those, they show you exactly how to do it, so you can try it right away and see for yourself how it performs. I think it's the simplest way to learn about different types of builds. Youtube, youtube, youtube. Watch and learn.

I would totally start by doing regular coils with different diameters and wire thicknesses, though. Get yourself one of those pen coilers or a set of drill bits. Smaller diameters and larger diameters perform and wick differently.

At the end of the day, it's all a matter of trial and error. All being said and done, I've tried a lot of elaborate builds, but I keep going back to plain old macro 24 gauge coils...

VU Sponsors