Become a Patron!

BBC engineer who loved his job becomes 'Britain's first' e-cigarette suicide after drinking liquid n

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
BBC engineer who loved his job becomes 'Britain's first' e-cigarette suicide after drinking liquid nicotine and bingeing on cider

Man drinks alcohol and nic base to kill himself, man's brother blames vaping and calls for eliquid to be regulated as a drug.
Because that would have surely stopped him from drinking some household cleaner or taking every pill in the medicine cabinet right?
Dude wanted to kill himself and he was going to get it done no matter what he used - 5150

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-drinking-liquid-nicotine-bingeing-cider.html

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like he was just a nut job, but he didn't die from the nicotine, however...

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's sad that this happened. He was clearly suffering from alcoholism and depression. The way I see it is the part of him that wanted to live was represented by the e-liquid. He quit smoking to improve his health but the alcohol was killing his will to live. Anybody who would blame his suicide on the e-liquid is blind to the truth that this man suffered being an alcoholic.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You can't blame the liquid; and, no legislation would have stopped it. When I was in high school a good friend of mine and band-mate killed himself by taking an entire bottle of Tylenol.
Its not acetaminophens fault; no one new how troubled he was, he wanted to go; so, he did just that.
Blaming the tool that was employed is usually the anger of the loved ones talking. Or in the case of the press the human need to place blame and a twisting of facts to fit an agenda.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alcoholism is a motherfucker. He should've gotten the help that he desperately needed. I did, and I'm able to post this today.
You are a hero! In my wild days I hit rock bottom and many times thought death would be easier. Luckily I had a couple real friends in my life to help me get through it all and also a saving moment with God. I hope that if there is anyone in this forum who sees this thread and is in a bad time in there lives to please seek help. That's all I have to say.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So why not blame the cheap rotgut cider any 14 year old can buy at a Tesco in the UK? Why not blame a medical system that hushes up and sweeps depression under the rug after giving the person a bottle of SSRI's?

Because it's easier to blame something that the politician's and government aren't making enormous sums on with Sin Tax. Would there even be an article if this poor soul had mixed up cyanide crystals with his cider? No, not even a mention I'll wager.

This is just another prong in the war with the politicians to regulate and tax the crap out of vaping. Pretty standard script for creating public outrage: Children getting harmed, animals getting harmed, women getting harmed, the environment getting harmed, people killing themselves, gateway to hard drug use with children, et cetera. Substitute any political issue the tax fiends desire such as hunting, sports, 4wd off roading, Energy Exploration and extraction, mining, and many others - You will see the political outrage machine uses the SAME political script for every single thing they want to tax and/or regulate.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are a hero! In my wild days I hit rock bottom and many times thought death would be easier. Luckily I had a couple real friends in my life to help me get through it all and also a saving moment with God. I hope that if there is anyone in this forum who sees this thread and is in a bad time in there lives to please seek help. That's all I have to say.
Thanks dude ! Man, I hit rock bottom hard. It took 4 months of inpatient treatment to fix me. I never worked so hard. I really wanted to live again, and actually be happy for once. I agree, if anyone is suffering from depression, or thinks they have a substance problem. It's only a phone call away.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So why not blame the cheap rotgut cider any 14 year old can buy at a Tesco in the UK? Why not blame a medical system that hushes up and sweeps depression under the rug after giving the person a bottle of SSRI's?

Because it's easier to blame something that the politician's and government aren't making enormous sums on with Sin Tax. Would there even be an article if this poor soul had mixed up cyanide crystals with his cider? No, not even a mention I'll wager.

This is just another prong in the war with the politicians to regulate and tax the crap out of vaping. Pretty standard script for creating public outrage: Children getting harmed, animals getting harmed, women getting harmed, the environment getting harmed, people killing themselves, gateway to hard drug use with children, et cetera. Substitute any political issue the tax fiends desire such as hunting, sports, 4wd off roading, Energy Exploration and extraction, mining, and many others - You will see the political outrage machine uses the SAME political script for every single thing they want to tax and/or regulate.

Correct. This would be a non story for any national media if it did not contain the opportunity to forward an agenda. Suicide happens every day. It isn't news worthy. In fact, most family/friends of the deceased would rather it not be printed. The first indication we get that this is a propaganda piece is in the first words of the title. "BBC ENGINEER WHO LOVED HIS JOB". They start by building the man up so they can then tear down liquid nicotine; "SUICIDE AFTER DRINKING LIQUID NICOTINE".

Pure agenda driven propaganda.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
'Britain's first' sounds newsworthy to me...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
'Britain's first' sounds newsworthy to me...

Ya got another 'Britain's first suicide by_____________' article laying around?

Like, Britian's first suicide by cop. Britain's first suicide by rat poison.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Britain's first 12 year old father made the front page of all the newspapers in the UK a few years ago. What was the agenda there? Sometimes news is just news...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya got another 'Britain's first suicide by_____________' article laying around?

Like, Britian's first suicide by cop. Britain's first suicide by rat poison.

Police investigating the London terrorist attack have identified the four men suspected of planting the bombs and think they may all have died in the attack, making it Britain's first suicide-bombing.

http://www.economist.com/node/4172107

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

It amazes me that the script is followed almost every time they want to push an agenda irregardless of science. You would think at some point the dunderheads would notice.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Britain's first 12 year old father made the front page of all the newspapers in the UK a few years ago. What was the agenda there? Sometimes news is just news...
Police investigating the London terrorist attack have identified the four men suspected of planting the bombs and think they may all have died in the attack, making it Britain's first suicide-bombing.

http://www.economist.com/node/4172107

LOL. You must have some tiny fingers to grasp those straws.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL. You must have some tiny fingers to grasp those straws.
The first anything makes news. Sometimes there simply isn't a conspiracy or agenda...

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Not always sometimes they try a SSNRI before it's swept under the rug.
Although that's a joke, depression isn't. And some of these medications cause the exact opposite of what they're used for. Who says he wasn't being treated and maybe on a SSRI that gave him thoughts of suicide? And alcohol is not meant to be ingested with those drugs for that exact reason. I will say men are far more likely to just "do it"

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first anything makes news. Sometimes there simply isn't a conspiracy or agenda...

The agenda was placed right in the story.

"The fact my brother should use it this way shows it is a deadly poison and needs to be controlled."

You're out of straws.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks dude ! Man, I hit rock bottom hard. It took 4 months of inpatient treatment to fix me. I never worked so hard. I really wanted to live again, and actually be happy for once. I agree, if anyone is suffering from depression, or thinks they have a substance problem. It's only a phone call away.
It takes rock bottom to get there not many people enjoying the substance are going to get help willingly if they always have a bailout...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The agenda was placed right in the story.

"The fact my brother should use it this way shows it is a deadly poison and needs to be controlled."

You're out of straws.
The brother didn't write the article. He may have an agenda, but not the media for reporting the first...
I can simply see things objectively, as I don't generate income from vapers; nor have any fear my vice being taken away...

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
would this also be Britain's first successful suicide attempt !?!?!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
when it comes to vaping in the news, there clearly is an agenda.
Its an election season, the topic is not only in the news; but, up for debate in several arenas.
For someone to not see that this article shows a clear biased and is written to harm vaping in the public eye, shows that either the author did their job well, or the person is weak minded.

Or perhaps the person wants government intervention in vaping.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its an election season, the topic is not only in the news; but, up for debate in several arenas.
For someone to not see that this article shows a clear biased and is written to harm vaping in the public eye, shows that either the author did their job well, or the person is weak minded.

The UK parialment elections took place last May...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
any just alcohol ??
According to the article, cider, which is also a relatively new beverage in the UK... Maybe there is an anti cider agenda at play. I better tell a buddy of mine in London to start stockpiling cider...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The UK parialment elections took place last May...
You don't think that in the global economy they aren't influenced by US politics to steer a story a certain way? Or keep a topic in the media regardless?
It is so clearly written to push an agenda that Stevie Wonder could see it.
Is this just you trying to start an argument for the sake of debate again or do you really want regulation and taxation?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You don't think that in the global economy they aren't influenced by US politics to steer a story a certain way? Or keep a topic in the media regardless?
It is so clearly written to push an agenda that Stevie Wonder could see it.
Have you ever lived outside United States and watched foreign news and read newspapers abroad? Believe it or not, the US doesn't dominate their news...

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd like to see BBC or Routters take on this incident ,i trust those 2 more then any other newsgroup

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you ever lived outside United States and watched foreign news and read newspapers abroad? Believe it or not, the US doesn't dominate their news...
Yes I have actually. I also know that this being a global market and a global issue they will be more than happy to push the U.S. agenda in Europe.
I've lived out of the USA for two years and worked for an international law firm for 8 years traveling around the globe as one of there investigators.
Next ?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I just said this... Honestly the government NEEDS to regulate vaping to a degree. I'm not saying to the extent the regulations are written now, far less in fact. But the industry is a fucking mess. From shotty mods, istick comes to mind, to e liquid manufacturing like storing consumables on the floor (shouldn't happen in food industry, shouldn't happen in e liquid manufacturing either). We obviously can't police ourselves and keep out of the news, constantly it seems, even if it is the retard vaping a subohm tank on a hybrid, that falls on ALL of us, mostly said retard, the rest of us as well. And now, as it's been for a while it's a cash grab pushing whatever to whoever before it all comes to a grinding hault... It's coming, but to what degree? Hopefully not the extent it's written now but hopefully there's a compromise made.

Fuck it, we're all doomed.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes I have actually. I also know that this being a global market and a global issue they will be more than happy to push the U.S. agenda in Europe.
That has been contrary to my experience in Northern, Western, Eastern Europe and Eurasia...Have you been abroad recently? I was in Amsterdam and Prague this past June/July and will be back in a month...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just said this... Honestly the government NEEDS to regulate vaping to a degree. I'm not saying to the extent the regulations are written now, far less in fact. But the industry is a fucking mess. From shotty mods, istick comes to mind, to e liquid manufacturing like storing consumables on the floor (shouldn't happen in food industry, shouldn't happen in e liquid manufacturing either). We obviously can't police ourselves and keep out of the news, constantly it seems, even if it is the retard vaping a subohm tank on a hybrid, that falls on ALL of us, mostly said retard, the rest of us as well. And now, as it's been for a while it's a cash grab pushing whatever to whoever before it all comes to a grinding hault... It's coming, but to what degree? Hopefully not the extent it's written now but hopefully there's a compromise made.

Fuck it, we're all doomed.

Hmmm with regulation comes taxes, the best way to regulate is self regulation.
A consumer reports/union of sorts
Similar to casaa but- certifying certain standards are kept.
Letting the feds do it is making a deal with the devil.
They get in and they just squeeze the life out of everything.
But if we do it ourselves than it can be done to benefit everyone.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to the article, cider, which is also a relatively new beverage in the UK... Maybe there is an anti cider agenda at play. I better tell a buddy of mine in London to start stockpiling cider...

Except there are no sidebar articles, pictures or embedded videos about cider on the page. Only ecig and nicotine sidebars, pictures and embedded videos.

I don't call that objective. It's very much biased.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Except there are no sidebar articles, pictures or embedded videos about cider on the page. Only ecig and nicotine sidebars, pictures and embedded videos.

I don't call that objective. It's very much biased.
Perhaps if his brother had mentioned cider the article would have taken a different turn....

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Has anyone considered that what are the things everyone wants for juice-
Childproof caps, adult labels and warnings?
Would it matter in this case?
Just a thought.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm with regulation comes taxes, the best way to regulate is self regulation.
A consumer reports/union of sorts
Similar to casaa but- certifying certain standards are kept.
Letting the feds do it is making a deal with the devil.
They get in and they just squeeze the life out of everything.
But if we do it ourselves than it can be done to benefit everyone.
I agree, it's going to be shitty. We have STATES that are now going against federal law and regulating a federally illegal substance and most everyone is making out well. It can be done, that's proof positive imo.

Like I said we obviously cannot self police. It's sad but the truth, proven by at least one of these articles a week.
Of course the government wants in on this business! Tax central. It has to happen. It will happen. But hopefully we spin it as harm reduction IN THEIR EYES and it's not taxed like tobacco products.
It's done it will be federally regulated, that's just how it is. I'm not rolling over in defeat I still participate in every call to action, but regulation is coming regardless, I just hope not as its written now.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You ran out of straws a few posts back. Conjecture won't help make new straws for you.
My views aren't so easily affected nor influenced...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree, it's going to be shitty. We have STATES that are now going against federal law and regulating a federally illegal substance and most everyone is making out well. It can be done, that's proof positive imo.

Like I said we obviously cannot self police. It's sad but the truth, proven by at least one of these articles a week.
Of course the government wants in on this business! Tax central. It has to happen. It will happen. But hopefully we spin it as harm reduction IN THEIR EYES and it's not taxed like tobacco products.
It's done it will be federally regulated, that's just how it is. I'm not rolling over in defeat I still participate in every call to action, but regulation is coming regardless, I just hope not as its written now.

But the bottom line is a tough nut as well.
For the sake of argument, lets say the feds do "regulate"
How is that going to stop the jackass of the week from hard shorting a crappy battery? It wont.
Should we self regulate and learn how not be assholes to each other and nonvapors we have a chance at winning the public debate and possibly staving off the feds to a degree. It may be a pie in the sky wish; but, as of right now its the best chance we have. Assuming its not to late.
By self regulate im meaning casaa certifies liquids and bottles are safe, mods are properly designed and standards are set so the item gets the casaa approved logo.
(if not casaa some other group)
It could also help us from getting things like the ipv4 first run charge issue. Which I just don't trust the feds at being able to accomplish, their first goal is how to add another tax.

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But the bottom line is a tough nut as well.
For the sake of argument, lets say the feds do "regulate"
How is that going to stop the jackass of the week from hard shorting a crappy battery? It wont.
Should we self regulate and learn how not be assholes to each other and nonvapors we have a chance at winning the public debate and possibly staving off the feds to a degree. It may be a pie in the sky wish; but, as of right now its the best chance we have. Assuming its not to late.
By self regulate im meaning casaa certifies liquids and bottles are safe, mods are properly designed and standards are set so the item gets the casaa approved logo.
(if not casaa some other group)
It could also help us from getting things like the ipv4 first run charge issue. Which I just don't trust the feds at being able to accomplish, their first goal is how to add another tax.
I like your idea. I really do. But to me it seems like a stretch for big brother will allow use to protect us from ourselves....

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I like your idea. I really do. But to me it seems like a stretch for big brother will allow use to protect us from ourselves....
Like I said "pie in the sky"
But think about this, lets assume that perhaps the would for a small fee allow them to act as an agency and do it. All they want in the end is money anyway. If legally its written as we have ultimate say so and they get money perhaps that could be doable.
All this scaring of the general public and talk of banishment is, is a way to raise everyone's neck hairs so they can come back and say that we can keep it if the get their pound of flesh.
But their pound of flesh will cost us regulation.
I would rather self regulate and give them a 1/4 pound of flesh.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds to me, that if anything needs to be regulated, it is the cider he was binging on that caused him to think oral ingestion of ejuice was a good idea! Outlaw booze! Oh wait, we did that, it failed and for our troubles we got organized crime and corrupt police.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Another great discussion.
I love it!! Keep up the good work guys.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ROFL. Oh man, next to Mead, the original wine made in freaking B.C. Times, Cider is the next fruit based alcoholic beverage made by Norman's and Gaul's. Before beer, before Wine (Roman's brought that method with them). No cider agenda, cider and middle England are inexorably entwined. Perhaps they want to raise the tax on it since it is the lowest taxed alcoholic beverage in the UK.

Yea, tell your buddy to stock pile cider. (Nice satiric poke btw.)

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ROFL. Oh man, next to Mead, the original wine made in freaking B.C. Times, Cider is the next fruit based alcoholic beverage made by Norman's and Gaul's. Before beer, before Wine (Roman's brought that method with them). No cider agenda, cider and middle England are inexorably entwined. Perhaps they want to raise the tax on it since it is the lowest taxed alcoholic beverage in the UK.

Yea, tell your buddy to stock pile cider. (Nice satiric poke btw.)
Bottled cider has recently become all the rage in Northern and Central Europe. It's been around, but not heavily marketed, as it has been, as of late...

VU Sponsors