Become a Patron!

Basic questions for beginning builders!

vapingvagabon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I've been messing with vaping for abou 3 years (give or take). I'm really happy with the point (so far) that vaping has come to. I first used it to quit smoking but failed many times due to the poor devices and such untill I got into larger devices such as mvp and istick and it only got better from there. Once I purchased the mentioned devices, it made quiting cigarettes a breeze! So as time goes on, I pick up info here and there but there still a few things I'm uncertain about, like...

1. DO I NEED AN OMHS READER? I have just purchased a Drok reader from amazon cause it had good reviews and heard some of the cheaper ones dont have accurate readings and up untill this point just wrapped my coils pretty much like the vids I'd watch on you and such.

2. When to torch a coil or kanthal? Is it best to torch a coil even when I can put it on an rda and heat it up with the battery and tidy up coils then? When I torch do I wrap coil then torch or torch wire, then wrap?

3. Everywhere seems to have such conflicting views but I'm still left dumbfounded (slightly). Always heard VTC4, VTC5, VTC4, VTC5!!! But have recently seen a video saying that there not quite as good as people have been saying, there still decent but that there plenty of batteries getting over looked cause of the VTC "hype". So, I'd like to know what are the good batteries to aim for. I'm guessing Efest, LG, Panasonic and maybe Samsung. These are the only ones I have not heard any downing on yet and am curious if I SHOULD be watching out for one of these brands or if their all ok and others that are just great!

Thanks all and I hope that these questions may help others out as well. VAPING>smoking

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
#1 Hell yes! Safety first and will also keep you from possibly frying a device.

#2. No you don't but I suggest you do. Heating the wire up with a torch (I use a small lighter) takes a lot of the spring out of the wire and makes it easier to work with.

#3, Folks are not going to be getting over the VCT4s and VCT5s anytime soon. Cant argue with a good battery. I like the Samsung 25R batteries and they work well in my APVs.

Also keep in mind, there is no rule that you have to know what the heck you are talking about to do a YouTube review. All you need is a camera and an account.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After I install my build I "season" by dropping a few drops of e-liquid and firing several times before wicking. I use cotton, so this process is very easy.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does that actually create a difference and if so by what severity?

IMO. Yes, It starts the buildup which occurs naturally when you vape. Is it mandatory, no, but since I'm there why not.

vapingvagabon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But I'm mean, what does it do? Create better flavor life of coil, create better vapor, I'm curious. I do tend to over think things, haha.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But I'm mean, what does it do? Create better flavor life of coil, create better vapor, I'm curious. I do tend to over think things, haha.
lol , so do I, look at our discussion.

imo, Prevents that first hit from being a dry hit. Helps by insulating the coil from the wick. Since I fire the coil when I first install (wickless)I decided it can't hurt to start the coating process. This habit started when I started into genesis atomizers (stainless steel wicks), before cotton was used as wick material.

vapingvagabon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I see how a gambit can carry over and no harm done. Cool, so do you use RDA's?

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I see how a gambit can carry over and no harm done. Cool, so do you use RDA's?
Habits are hard to break and that included smoking.
Sometimes. in the evening. Let me explain lol
I'm frugal,so, I try to use all my equipment until they expire. I still have a few ego atomizers I rebuilt.
I'm a wreck, lol, grab and vape.
RTA- plume viel, Igo l , Igo w3, pheonix
RBA - Kayfun, russian, taifun, eleaf lemo / lemo2
ATOMIZERS - iclear 16. iclear 30, Evod, several Protanks
Genesis - igo s, cobra and one no named

Get an Ohm meter - yes you can use some mods to check but better to get in the habit of checking your builds on an ohm meter.
Sometimes I torch sometimes I don't.

Im using samsung 25R 18650 and have had no problems.

vapingvagabon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the habit of, as soon as I get a new toy (as long as it works as I hope it would) then the old ones dead to me and I try to find people to buy it cause I'm moving on up! I got a vtr and cheap mech and subtanks I'm trying to trade for a broke hana DNA 40 with dual 18650 space. I only want the box, not the chip and stuff.

VU Sponsors