Become a Patron!

Atomizer/RDA heating up too fast

Hey
Im Using the snowwolf xfeng 230W box mod and Yup rda on top,Since my last coil build that I had the guy at the vape shop do it for me is getting ridiculously hot just after 6-7 rips Not batteries cuz i checked Just the atomizer, Also there is barely any flavour i changed the cotton last night juiced it up nice, there is good thick vapor but no flavour. Using Kanthal 22g 3mm 10 Wraps.I use it at 75 any higher it heats up even quicker and still no flavour. Help! *This is my first dripper so im new at this

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hey
Im Using the snowwolf xfeng 230W box mod and Yup rda on top,Since my last coil build that I had the guy at the vape shop do it for me is getting ridiculously hot just after 6-7 rips Not batteries cuz i checked Just the atomizer, Also there is barely any flavour i changed the cotton last night juiced it up nice, there is good thick vapor but no flavour. Using Kanthal 22g 3mm 10 Wraps.I use it at 75 any higher it heats up even quicker and still no flavour. Help! *This is my first dripper so im new at this
Need a coil with higher ohms or your mod settings are on TC with using high settings.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
Also, what juice are you using? More specifically what ratio? If it' your first rda you might benefit from higher PG. And while I'm not familiar with the rda your using, I'd be inclined to agree with SMOKIE, higher resistance until you maybe look at a taller rda with more airflow perhaps? Just a thought.

Also, what juice are you using? More specifically what ratio? If it' your first rda you might benefit from higher PG. And while I'm not familiar with the rda your using, I'd be inclined to agree with SMOKIE, higher resistance until you maybe look at a taller rda with more airflow perhaps? Just a thought.
Im using 70/30 ratio Lemon butter cookie Im thinking of doing a 3.5mm 11 wrap kanthal would that increase the resistance i cant buy an ohm reader rn so cant calculate

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
70/30 should be ok.

Research some more on Ohms law my friend. Over simplified :- more wire = lower resistance ie lower Ohms. Less wire = higher. Seems counter intuitive at first.

For example. I use two pre built 0.5 ohm coils in my goon rda. 1 coil per side. I'm
Actually running at 0.25 Ohms. More wire, less resistance. If I stretched them or squished them together that would shift the reading one way or the other respectively.

11 wraps seems like a lot. I would Say 5/6 max. You can do more or less within parameters but when looking at what ohm your aiming for you also need to factor in the gauge of kanthal your using and if your using some exotic pre built wire like twisted or juggernaut or pre wound clapton etc that can skew your estimate. I personally recommend hanging fire until you get an ohm reader but, and I've never done this, now i think about it I'd imagine in a pinch you could use a digital multi meter?? If anyone knows why you couldn't or shouldn't then please speak up as I'm wondering now. Or, bad practice as i was told, place it in a regulated mod. It "should" recognise what resistance the coil is at.

There are some online tools like steam engine:-

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

Which can help although whilst I'm sure they can help people I find it a little too complicated. Again if someone more knowledgeable than me can maybe suggest another?

Maybe in the meantime :-
1. wait until you've got your ohm reader,
2. Get some pre built coils that are rated to the resistance you need either online or in a shop
3. Ask about locally for someone who might be willing to help who knows what they are doing who can show you
4. Spend a lot of time watching simple coil builds on YouTube.
5. Be safe!!

Sorry I'm not able to say here do steps a through z and your good to go. But I think Maybe put in a lot of time reading and researching before you start on building your own. In my experience most vapists who drip and build are happy to spend some time to help out someone just starting by 'showing them the ropes'

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
In fact if you ask the guy in the shop who made the coil to rebuild at a higher resistance I'm sure he won't mind once you explain :)

70/30 should be ok.

Research some more on Ohms law my friend. Over simplified :- more wire = lower resistance ie lower Ohms. Less wire = higher. Seems counter intuitive at first.

For example. I use two pre built 0.5 ohm coils in my goon rda. 1 coil per side. I'm
Actually running at 0.25 Ohms. More wire, less resistance. If I stretched them or squished them together that would shift the reading one way or the other respectively.

11 wraps seems like a lot. I would Say 5/6 max. You can do more or less within parameters but when looking at what ohm your aiming for you also need to factor in the gauge of kanthal your using and if your using some exotic pre built wire like twisted or juggernaut or pre wound clapton etc that can skew your estimate. I personally recommend hanging fire until you get an ohm reader but, and I've never done this, now i think about it I'd imagine in a pinch you could use a digital multi meter?? If anyone knows why you couldn't or shouldn't then please speak up as I'm wondering now. Or, bad practice as i was told, place it in a regulated mod. It "should" recognise what resistance the coil is at.

There are some online tools like steam engine:-

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

Which can help although whilst I'm sure they can help people I find it a little too complicated. Again if someone more knowledgeable than me can maybe suggest another?

Maybe in the meantime :-
1. wait until you've got your ohm reader,
2. Get some pre built coils that are rated to the resistance you need either online or in a shop
3. Ask about locally for someone who might be willing to help who knows what they are doing who can show you
4. Spend a lot of time watching simple coil builds on YouTube.
5. Be safe!!

Sorry I'm not able to say here do steps a through z and your good to go. But I think Maybe put in a lot of time reading and researching before you start on building your own. In my experience most vapists who drip and build are happy to spend some time to help out someone just starting by 'showing them the ropes'
Thanks for the reply buddy,I am reading online about building That convertor really confused me lol. but yeah I will go to the vape shop and ask the guy to explain me this stuff. What build would you recommend just curious decent vapor production and good flavour. 2 posts in my atomizer i usually vape at 75-90W

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
No worries :)

I'm not an expert and tbh a lot comes down to personal preference. I'm guessing your current set up is approx 0.5ohms. Does your display screen show you? maybe try to aim for about 1 ohm and see how you go.

I run 2 coils in my goon. Both are 2 ohms each giving me a total of 1 ohm resistance that I'm vaping with. Had this set up for about 3 months now and honestly couldn't tell you the gauge i used. Id have to check but I think 6 wraps and 3mm?? i could be wrong as its been awhile lol I kick out some awesome clouds on an unregulated mod, good flavour, good battery life and it's safe. What works for one doesn't always suit all though.

also, welcome to RDA's :) it's not as complicated or scary as it may seem at first and once you've found what works for you it'll all fall into place :)

No worries :)

I'm not an expert and tbh a lot comes down to personal preference. I'm guessing your current set up is approx 0.5ohms. Does your display screen show you? maybe try to aim for about 1 ohm and see how you go.

I run 2 coils in my goon. Both are 2 ohms each giving me a total of 1 ohm resistance that I'm vaping with. Had this set up for about 3 months now and honestly couldn't tell you the gauge i used. Id have to check but I think 6 wraps and 3mm?? i could be wrong as its been awhile lol I kick out some awesome clouds on an unregulated mod, good flavour, good battery life and it's safe. What works for one doesn't always suit all though.

also, welcome to RDA's :) it's not as complicated or scary as it may seem at first and once you've found what works for you it'll all fall into place :)
0.3Ohms and 4.75Volts, Lol Its just too much to take all the information is a bit head hurting. I dont wanna go back to tanks they arent as much fun as dripping plus way less clouds, I did quit smoking which was the original goal Now its just a fun hobby. I am spending more money than usual which also could be a bummer

Theserialvapist

Member For 1 Year
Lol welcome to the world of drippers ;) you'll over fill it, drip everywhere, including all over your mod, your hand, your clothes, churn through gallons of juice and also, most likely, enjoy every minute of it :p lol but then again YMMV

Yeah 0.3 is likely to get hot. I would Play about with the settings, lowering the wattage and taking shorter hits while still actually getting vape until you find a temporary happy medium. (I also have been known to place my rda in front of the air con in between puffs which is nice ) I don't know if the snow Wolf has a 'hard' or 'soft' power setting? Lower watts plus 'hard' power delivery would probably be the way I would go but again that doesn' mean it' for everyone. Essentially youve got a safety net in the board, so play and learn what you can do with your mod :)

Lol welcome to the world of drippers ;) you'll over fill it, drip everywhere, including all over your mod, your hand, your clothes, churn through gallons of juice and also, most likely, enjoy every minute of it :p lol but then again YMMV

Yeah 0.3 is likely to get hot. I would Play about with the settings, lowering the wattage and taking shorter hits while still actually getting vape until you find a temporary happy medium. (I also have been known to place my rda in front of the air con in between puffs which is nice ) I don't know if the snow Wolf has a 'hard' or 'soft' power setting? Lower watts plus 'hard' power delivery would probably be the way I would go but again that doesn' mean it' for everyone. Essentially youve got a safety net in the board, so play and learn what you can do with your mod :)
Haha I get that first part very nicely snoweolf does not have hard of soft hit setting. But thanks for your input Im gonna ask the guy at vape shop what build to make. Cheers bro

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A coil's capacity to store heat is called Heat Capacity. On the page that @Theserialvapist linked to, you'll find a short explanation of why Heat Capacity is important, i.e. the higher the Heat Capacity number the slower the coil will be to heat up and to cool down so basically as a result you're holding the fire button for longer because the coil is heating up slower, which means you're adding more heat. The time it takes for a coil to reach the desired temperature is called ramp up. For reasons that are obvious, the more metal is in your coil the longer it takes to heat up. But temperature is not the same thing as heat so what that basically means is different metal types require different amounts of heat before they reach the same temperature. Of all the popular metal types used in coil building, Kanthal is the slowest (with Nichrome being the fastest... in fact my personal favorite metal type is Nichrome 80), and, if I may be so bold to say so Sir, you do have a whole fucking lot of Kanthal in there. :)

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
You've got a quite high heat capacity and a shitload of wire in there :)
This is more to do with lots of mass and heat capacity than ohms.

My usual coils are about 6-7mm width, sometimes as bis as 8 or 9 mm.

Yours is 14mm if what you've posted is correct. And Kanthal that is. No wonder it gets hot.

If you are good with using Ni80, I would recommend that. If you don't want to use that, use SS316L.

Get premade coils, I'd recommend Fused claptons for starters, something along the lines of a 28ga core and a 38ga wrapping.

For comparision:

Kanthal A1, 3mm ID, 22ga, 10 wraps:

Ohms single: ~0.62 ohm
Heat capacity: 148.82 mJ/K
Surface Area: 283.02mm²

Ni80, 3mm ID, Fused Clapton, 2x28ga core + 38ga wrap, 5 wraps:

Ohms single: ~0.37 ohm
Heat capacity: 79.98 mJ/K
Surface Area: 533.94mm²

Meaning you get about double the surface area (simply said more flavor) with about half the heat capacity (better ramp, cooler vape).

If the coil needs to be wider you can even give it 6 or 7 wraps and still have a lower heat capacity than your KA1 coil (and of course even more surface area than with 5 wraps)

VU Sponsors