Become a Patron!

Atlantis 1 burning

i just switched out my coil to a .3 ohm and it burned like hell. I thought I primed it correctly but just to be sure, I switched it out for a new one and really primed it and it still burned. I'm using 3mg nic level. Any suggestions?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU:)
What gear are you using? All you told us was about your coil....LOL

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I just picked up a new Atlantis. 3 coil yesterday. I had to start it out at 20 watts after saturating it real good and slowly bump it up. It took a long time to get the flavor out if it. I had it in silo beast tank on a ivp3 last night. Was good but took good 2 hours to fully wick

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TheVapingDevil may have it - I always worry about starting pre-built coils too hot, so I go with about half the recommended wattage for the first couple puffs and then creep up a couple watts at a time until I find the sweet spot.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello and welcome to VU,
I've found that its always best to make sure the new coil is primed well by either dripping directly on the coil itself or letting it sit for a good 5 min or so before taking a puff and if your using a variable mod, Always turn your device way down when firing a new coil for the first time because once a coil is burnt, that taste doesn't go away easily. Fortunately, Atlantis coils are super easy to rebuild yourself. I believe I posted a "how to" on rebuilding your Atlantis coils somewhere here so don't toss them once they are toast.. All you need is some kanthal and cotton. Hope this helps.

Here's a twisted 26g coil that I rebuilt in one of my used Atlantis coils, Don't bother trying to rebuild them vertically like they come stock. Horizontal coils are easy and they work great. All you need to do is pull out the cotton once a week, give it a dry burn and then pull some more cotton through and its good to go. This coil has been going strong for 3 months or so.
IMG_20150401_102811_973.jpg

IMG_20150401_102840_011.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i just switched out my coil to a .3 ohm and it burned like hell. I thought I primed it correctly but just to be sure, I switched it out for a new one and really primed it and it still burned. I'm using 3mg nic level. Any suggestions?
I have the .3 coils too, but my method is a bit strange. I soak the coil a few times with ejuice and let it drain into a tiny tube I have then soak the coil head again over a 30 min period, wipe it off and install it and vape with no burning. I'm at 50 watts with my tank atm, and it's kicking the vapor big time.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I have the .3 coils too, but my method is a bit strange. I soak the coil a few times with ejuice and let it drain into a tiny tube I have then soak the coil head again over a 30 min period, wipe it off and install it and vape with no burning. I'm at 50 watts with my tank atm, and it's kicking the vapor big time.
Do you any ejuice or plain vg? I have thought about a vg soak on these. I like ur approach. Bet it eliminates at shit cotton taste u get while breaking it in

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you any ejuice or plain vg? I have thought about a vg soak on these. I like ur approach. Bet it eliminates at shit cotton taste u get while breaking it in

Ejuice. You can sit the coil in a 5 ml bottle and squirt a few ml's of juice through it and just recycle the juice , squirting it again to fully saturate the cotton and coil. No break in time, perhaps one or two toots and that it. full on flavor after that.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a mechanical mod si I can't change any of the wattage

well then, if it was a fresh battery you were pushing about 60 watts. That's pretty hot and if your coil wasn't really good and saturated, it will burn. I prefer about a .5-.7 on my Atlantis on a mech. Remember hot off the charger your battery is 4.2volts it'll slowly decrease and you'll notice the difference. You should toss it on to charge when its about 3.5ish but if that's too hot for you on the mech, I'd suggest changing back to a .5 or get a Istick 50. :D I just got one and I like it a lot.

Here's my Eleaf Istick50 and Smok VTC pro tank. I've not tried this tank out yet, waiting on some of my DIY tropical menthol juice to steep first. :D
IMG_20150612_174453_846.jpg

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I put a 0.3 ohm coil in the Atlantis 2 yesterday (primed) and started at 20 watts. Nothing. Moved to 30 watts, nothing. Googled and suggested wattage was 70-80, so hesitantly put it up to 75 - wow - flavor!

But I did let it sit a few minutes after priming and started low. (I also put a bit of juice in each of the 4 holes around the coil first).

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I put a 0.3 ohm coil in the Atlantis 2 yesterday (primed) and started at 20 watts. Nothing. Moved to 30 watts, nothing. Googled and suggested wattage was 70-80, so hesitantly put it up to 75 - wow - flavor!

But I did let it sit a few minutes after priming and started low. (I also put a bit of juice in each of the 4 holes around the coil first).
Strange you got nothing at 20 or 30. I was getting some little puffs at 20 and nor bad at 30. Settled at 40. What device was it on ?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm, forget which one - probably the IPV4! I don't mean I got nothing, I mean the flavor was very lacking until I turned it way up. Now, the Atlantis 2 is way to airy for me, because I really prefer mtl, but that flavor was amazing. I've ordered an adaptor so I can use a different drip tip and maybe see if I can do mtl (with higher ohm coils), because I really think the flavor in this tank is good. But 70 watts isn't really doable for mtl, so maybe I'll be able to use less watts with a higher ohm coil.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Hmmm, forget which one - probably the IPV4! I don't mean I got nothing, I mean the flavor was very lacking until I turned it way up. Now, the Atlantis 2 is way to airy for me, because I really prefer mtl, but that flavor was amazing. I've ordered an adaptor so I can use a different drip tip and maybe see if I can do mtl (with higher ohm coils), because I really think the flavor in this tank is good. But 70 watts isn't really doable for mtl, so maybe I'll be able to use less watts with a higher ohm coil.
Gotcha now. After reading ur post I cranked mine up to 50 watts on the Silo Beast. Normally this tank is too airy but I need it all to keep this sucker cool lolol. However the flavor is awesome.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gotcha now. After reading ur post I cranked mine up to 50 watts on the Silo Beast. Normally this tank is too airy but I need it all to keep this sucker cool lolol. However the flavor is awesome.

See!!

Is the Silo Beast as airy as the Atlantis V2? I had my eye on one, but I just can't handle that airy LOL

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
See!!

Is the Silo Beast as airy as the Atlantis V2? I had my eye on one, but I just can't handle that airy LOL
Actually the original best with the factory seal was a bit tight. I modified and now it is. But at 50 watts it's great to cool the coil fast

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually the original best with the factory seal was a bit tight. I modified and now it is. But at 50 watts it's great to cool the coil fast

I really don't need to vape at 50 watts, so it might work for me unmodified! Thanks :)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Me either. I like to be around 32 - 35

ziggzagg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you poke holes with a needle on each side it will let more juice saturate and it will not taste burnt at all. But as they said you have to start low then vamp up the watts. Good luck

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But if I have a mechanical mod how can I start low?

For some people this is an option. Its a drop in variable wattage module. you can set it from 5-12 watts. Its called a "kick" They also have a Kick V2 that goes even higher. This is a link for a clone, the originals are made by evolve. If your device does not have a kick ring ( most Nemesis, king mods, skeleton keys, Chi you, et cetera have them) or your mod is not telescoping, you can use this module with an 18500 instead of an 18650. it only takes up a bit of room and sits on top of your battery. basically it turns your tube mod into a variable wattage device.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1501000-variable-wattage-kick-module-for-mechanical-mod-pv

They also have DNA30 screw on modules for mechanical tube mods like the big nasty and others. Its just a tube with a dna30 board in it that you screw on top of your tube mod and it turns it into a DNA30 device. this is obviously quite a bit more expensive but there are opetions like these if you want to be able to dial down or boost your mechanical mod. Hope this helps.

http://vaporjoes.com/blog/2014/04/12/vapebash-the-big-nasty-dna30-extension/

VU Sponsors