Become a Patron!

Aspire BVC coils, rubber taste (general BVC and Nautilus BVC)

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi! I have an issue with nearly all BVC coils bought lately. They are original, scratch and checked on the aspire website. I have 25 packs of them all bought from a reliable official source of aspire products. They all have the same issue, so I guess there is something with them, maybe rubber seals...

Everytime, I mean everytime we start a new coil on a tank, me and my associates, we get a rubber taste. It happens with all the coils. It does not do that with kangertech BDCs. I'm quite picky about some tastes (Eliquid DIYer). Even my associates can detect it.

Don't think we a burning the coils here, we are not. I know what it is.
I fill my tank.
Put it vertical
Wait 10minutes, start to draw some puff at 3volts, after that I raise the voltage slowly.
There is always that bad rubber taste in the new coil.

The only way I can get past the awful taste is by priming the coil,
spend about 1ml of juice at low voltage. Then take out the coil. Clean it. Clean the tank (the rubber taste is now in the liquid, so I have to waste that liquid)
Then I refill the tank, there is still some rubber taste, but much less.
It takes about 3-4 cycles like this to get rid of the rubber taste.

I verified my BVC coils, they are originals.

Thanks

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All I use is aspire bvc coils (non nautilus), never had this issue myself, but definitely something to be aware of. My question would be is it only one particular juice that it does this with or does it do it with different juices as well?

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you using the same tank? I've never heard of this. If you pull the pin on the bottom and remove the grommet do you see extensive burning? Mine always had a very light black mark- I used to use that to reposition the legs.
My thought is you may have a defect in the base that could be causing the grommet to burn. I'm not sure. After 25 packs I don't think it's the coils. I've never heard nor experienced a rubber taste personally.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tested with different juices, but it more easily tasted with menthols, and neutral liquids. (not fruits, not tobaccos, not bakeries). I'm not the only one to taste that. My tank for these coils are all Aspire K1, I probably got an old batch of coils, before they changed a material (if it's the case...)
That even happens when you unpack a new K1, with the coil in there.

I think not all people can detect this rubber taste, but as I found on a few threads, some does.

I get this taste with every new aspire BVC coil that I use. It wears off after a few hours. When I got my first Nautilus Mini I originally thought the rubbery taste was from the big plastic seal around the base of the tank but the taste returns after every coil change. I don't know if it's the rubber seal on the coil or the wick but it's one of the two that causes that taste.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In my experience, it lasts about 2ml of liquid and then fades off. There is absolutely nothing I can do besides putting a liquid that I don't like and vaping it at low voltage (pushing air instead of pulling) until the 2ml is spent. Then I put my liquid into it.

In my experience, it lasts about 2ml of liquid and then fades off. There is absolutely nothing I can do besides putting a liquid that I don't like and vaping it at low voltage (pushing air instead of pulling) until the 2ml is spent. Then I put my liquid into it.

Yep. About 2ml is what I go through before it stops. I've also noticed that that there is a throat hit for a bit , with juice that normally has none , until that coil smooths itself out.

I still like the coils though. Overall the nautilus mini and the BVC coils are the best I've used. Once they get going they're awesome.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi! I have an issue with nearly all BVC coils bought lately. They are original, scratch and checked on the aspire website. I have 25 packs of them all bought from a reliable official source of aspire products. They all have the same issue, so I guess there is something with them, maybe rubber seals...

Everytime, I mean everytime we start a new coil on a tank, me and my associates, we get a rubber taste. It happens with all the coils. It does not do that with kangertech BDCs. I'm quite picky about some tastes (Eliquid DIYer). Even my associates can detect it.

Don't think we a burning the coils here, we are not. I know what it is.
I fill my tank.
Put it vertical
Wait 10minutes, start to draw some puff at 3volts, after that I raise the voltage slowly.
There is always that bad rubber taste in the new coil.

The only way I can get past the awful taste is by priming the coil,
spend about 1ml of juice at low voltage. Then take out the coil. Clean it. Clean the tank (the rubber taste is now in the liquid, so I have to waste that liquid)
Then I refill the tank, there is still some rubber taste, but much less.
It takes about 3-4 cycles like this to get rid of the rubber taste.

I verified my BVC coils, they are originals.

Thanks
This is actually quite common. People will describe the flavor differently, but basically it's just the "new". I use mostly Aspire BDC's and Nauti's. I always have to burn off the first 5-6 hits before I begin to inhale off a new coil.

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep. About 2ml is what I go through before it stops. I've also noticed that that there is a throat hit for a bit , with juice that normally has none , until that coil smooths itself out.

I still like the coils though. Overall the nautilus mini and the BVC coils are the best I've used. Once they get going they're awesome.
Yes. I vape mostly in K1 BVC or Nautilus mini, and I like them much more than my Subtank Mini. In subohming, the flavor gets so clear I can taste the VG and I don't like it. I want to taste only the main flavor.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I never had that if so it never bothered me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What other tank is close to a nautilus mini in flavor and can handle high VG juices like the nautilus BVC coils? I haven't tried the new pro tank coils or aero tank mega

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can't believe there are not more complaints like this. The rubbery taste is on all new Aspire BVC coils, and I tried many sources. I have like 8 vaping friends and they all hate that first tank (or more) with a new coil.

I wrote to Aspire about this and they answered me with "we use only food grade silicone" bla bla

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use them everyday in a couple Kabuki tanks. Never had the issue. I'm guessing the problem some are having has to do with insufficient priming or too much power...

domyz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The kabuki uses nautilus coils. I found them to give that rubber taste for the first puffs and then they are okay. The smaller bvcs from aspire are much worst. It takes at least a tank to get clean. And about priming, I know the drill. Even a night full tank with some powerless draws won't do anything. The rubber taste is easily detectable with a clean liquid, like menthols or flavorless.

VU Sponsors