Become a Patron!

Are you a Vape snob? I think I am :(

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
So I recently went to my first cloud competition, advanced to the second round and got knocked out by who eventually won the event (so I thought that was pretty cool).

The store was packed, and I mingled with some of the patrons - everyone was showing off their mods and tanks... I took my DNA30 Wizard and Kayfun 4 to vape on, and my Stingray X mech with a Mutation X to compete with. I noticed that everyone else was Nautilus/Atlantis/Subtank and some form of box mod mainly... Saw a couple of Sigelie 100w boxes, IPV and lots of C'hana clones...

Does noticing this make me a Vape Snob?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Snobbery or geekdom is based on whether you felt superior to the people with higher-powered, less-expensive devices than your own, or whether you just thought it was cool to see so many different people enjoying the same hobby in different ways...

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
No I didn't think "less" of anyone...my wife uses a nautilus, subtank and istick 30w and istick 10w mini. My son loves his subtank and 50w istick.

I liked the screen on the sigelie 100th watt, because it was different that the DNA style screen that has become all too common.

While I was never super impressed with the nautilus tank, the subtank mini is awesome.

I was just hoping to see some other stuff, as seen online, instead of the mass produced stuff I see in every vape store. I took my cool toys to show and tell. I was hoping others might do the same was all.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see where you are coming from. I've been a collector of wrist watches for years. No Rolex or anything and mostly dive watches. Occasionally I go to events where a group of forum members meet and show off their collections. While there are dozens of small companies making some interesting watches, you typically see the most common stuff. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see something new that sparks your imagination.

Oberon75

Member For 4 Years
Shops generally seem to push non replaceable battery mods and atty's that require you keep buying coil heads. Non forum member customers aren't as informed as us.
That all depends on the shop. I've heard many disappointing stories about B&M's but the network of shops we have here in the Detroit area are excellent.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I vape not to smoke , pretty simple . If others see it as a hobby ,so be it . As long as it keeps you away from coffin nails , so be it . To each his own , use whatever works .

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you a Vape snob? I think I am :(
So I recently went to my first cloud competition, advanced to the second round and got knocked out by who eventually won the event (so I thought that was pretty cool).

The store was packed, and I mingled with some of the patrons - everyone was showing off their mods and tanks... I took my DNA30 Wizard and Kayfun 4 to vape on, and my Stingray X mech with a Mutation X to compete with. I noticed that everyone else was Nautilus/Atlantis/Subtank and some form of box mod mainly... Saw a couple of Sigelie 100w boxes, IPV and lots of C'hana clones...

Does noticing this make me a Vape Snob?

Is this what people mean by "humble brag"? :p

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No no... But it does read that way :(
Sorry for that.
I guess there's a difference between online people and local people? Online you always read about the guys with the out of the ordinary, then in real life it's the basics.
I was just joshin ya, Phone Guy. I recently heard that term so I've been looking for a chance to use it and your lucky number came up :) i bet you're right though, that most people--the large majority of vapers, those of us not posting in vaping forums--are having at it with ego batteries and iSticks and protanks or CE6 polycarbonate tanks (or whatever number those blasted things are at now).

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shops generally seem to push non replaceable battery mods and atty's that require you keep buying coil heads. Non forum member customers aren't as informed as us.

Not that I disagree with the spirit of your post but I'm an informed forum member and still exclusively use a mass marketed box mod and nautilus. :p

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can say the main B&M that I go to has a wide selection of items to choose from. They take their time to see where you are on your vaping journey and then recommend hardware to you.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not that I disagree with the spirit of your post but I'm an informed forum member and still exclusively use a mass marketed box mod and nautilus. :p
Use what you like, at least you're aware of all your options. My point was most of us here don't rely on a shops inventory as our only choices for gear or rely on a shops staff as our only source of information.

Last edited:

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I try to support my local B&M but if they don't have something I want or if I think the price is way to high I buy online. But the store I use most does try to keep his prices down and is fair.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I try to support my local B&M but if they don't have something I want or if I think the price is way to high I buy online. But the store I use most does try to keep his prices down and is fair.
I try to support my local shop too..they have great custom mixed juice, but they are way overpriced on mods, RDA's and such...I mean they want a $150 + CA sales tax for the IPV3...way too much $$! .. I got my IPV3 for $109, no tax and free shipping... But I do buy juice, kanthel wire and little things from them..hell, it's about all I can afford these days. Lol

from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
I try to support my local B&M also..They are always higher than online, but I expect that. If the price difference local is what I consider fair, I'll buy local. Great example, bought 3 sub tanks mini's for family members over the last couple weeks. Paid about $40 each for them, which was more than fair. One store has kayfun 4's for $35, again fair imo for local. Another store has kayfun 4's for $50+, that's not fair imo.

Most of the store juices I've tried suck. But I've gotten spoiled to "good" name brand juices and strong DIY juice I make. So most of the store juices are weak to me now.

Well I'm glad for this thread, now I consider myself vape educated, NOT a snob ;)

aibones

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
never. I don't tend to like pretentious vapers (ie the ones that make faces BC I am so poor that I never upgraded beyond a vision spinner although I've probably vaped longer than they've been alive). like the type that act holier than thou and how they know more than everyone and think they do it the best (making no sense) if you guys understand.... difference between those and being proud of it. and moving back here where the vape community is small (I started in a very big vaping community where analogs are obsolete like windows xp) i always give advice and genuinely explain it to those who ask or seem interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
never. I don't tend to like pretentious vapers (ie the ones that make faces BC I am so poor that I never upgraded beyond a vision spinner although I've probably vaped longer than they've been alive). like the type that act holier than thou and how they know more than everyone and think they do it the best (making no sense) if you guys understand.... difference between those and being proud of it. and moving back here where the vape community is small (I started in a very big vaping community where analogs are obsolete like windows xp) i always give advice and genuinely explain it to those who ask or seem interested

I m sorta confused..Are you saying you still use a spinner due to finances but still offer advise? I feel for you, but at the same time what kind of quality advise can we hope to get from someone that has never even built an RDA or used a mech or a high powered box mod for example, and only uses a spinner?
I'm not putting you down so don't be offended, just a little confused ...unless I totally missed something here...which happens with me sometimes... Lol

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
didn't read the replies but you would be a snob if you judged them by their devices. thinking you have better gear than they do and thought they were beneath you would make you a snob. did you think that?

I have a co worker that uses gear I wouldn't use. dripper on a pylon mechanical and I don't think he is beneath me. he just buys what he likes. I could care less if anyone uses regulated box mods or sub tanks. I use classic nemesis and orchids clones I might add, if people think I'm beneath them then they are snobs.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
didn't read the replies but you would be a snob if you judged them by their devices. thinking you have better gear than they do and thought they were beneath you would make you a snob. did you think that?

I have a co worker that uses gear I wouldn't use. dripper on a pylon mechanical and I don't think he is beneath me. he just buys what he likes. I could care less if anyone uses regulated box mods or sub tanks. I use classic nemesis and orchids clones I might add, if people think I'm beneath them then they are snobs.
I can't control what people think of themselves, it could be they get jealous seeing a co worker vape gear better than they use.... But I never think less of them for what gear they do use... It's more important I think for me to applaud them for choosing to vape and quit smoking tobacco..... Hell, if I like my co-worker I might even give him some better gear for an upgrade... just sayin

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't control what people think of themselves, it could be they get jealous seeing a co worker vape gear better than they use.... But I never think less of them for what gear they do use... It's more important I think for me to applaud them for choosing to vape and quit smoking tobacco..... Hell, if I like my co-worker I might even give him some better gear for an upgrade... just sayin

I have given my co worker plenty of stuff. but I won't try and stop people from smoking. I live in the US so people can do what they want. but i also won't go and help them either, the few I have got to switch had no will power and went back to smoking, so i don't bother anymore. everyone is entitled to kill themselves if they want.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have given my co worker plenty of stuff. but I won't try and stop people from smoking. I live in the US so people can do what they want. but i also won't go and help them either, the few I have got to switch had no will power and went back to smoking, so i don't bother anymore. everyone is entitled to kill themselves if they want.
Personally,I don't try to help folks quit smoking....that's their choice.. But I do try to help those that are new to vaping enjoy a better vaping experience, especially when they come to me for advise... I too live in the US (CA) and meet a lot of fellow vapor's driving my 18 wheeler across this great country of ours.... From coast to coast, it's awesome!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if people come to me for help, I'll help them. but telling a smoker he or she really should be vaping...negative. they should do what they think they need to do. and my advice is and will always be 30w istick and subtank. if they like that and want to move on to mechanical or higher wattage devices, I say go for it but let them chose what they like after that.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Vape Snob... hmm..

Yes.. I am picky on my equipment (even tho I am not a hardware person!) and I am picky on my juice..
I want the best flavors and nic I can buy.. Stuck up? No.. Stuck on vaping, yes :D

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was at a truck stop in New Orleans sitting in my truck and blowing clouds across the parking lot... Another driver called me on the CB asking what I was smoking, lol
I explained I wasn't smoking anything but was vaping..
What is vaping he asked? To
make a long story short he came over to my truck and being a heavy smoker I let him take a few tokes.. He was instantly hooked, and to this day he is still vaping and hasn't smoked a single cig since. That was 8 mos ago, as we still stay in touch via gmail... So if somebody asks me why I chose to vape I tell them, and like in this case, I show'um...

aibones

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I m sorta confused..Are you saying you still use a spinner due to finances but still offer advise? I feel for you, but at the same time what kind of quality advise can we hope to get from someone that has never even built an RDA or used a mech or a high powered box mod for example, and only uses a spinner?
I'm not putting you down so don't be offended, just a little confused ...unless I totally missed something here...which happens with me sometimes... Lol

I've had beyond my vision spinner. people here don't seem to know much beyond gas station ecigs and if they do, sadly only ego twists and disposable ce4s LOL. so you can imagine how little is known over here which I was surprised to see vape shops open up. not offended I understand c: I've had beyond but I gave my old ones to my mum and dad before I moved back here.
I hate my spinner ): since I moved back here after leaving my others with my parents, I haven't had the money to update.
My eyes are strained and I'm exhausted so my posts today are a bit rambly and all over the place.
but seriously everyone here thinks gas station ecigs or ce4 tanks and thinks that's all there is and anything beyond it has to be the same x____x

edit:
I know you weren't trying to be offensive! Where I started vaping, analogs were obsolete. Here, there's not many that do vape although we have a random jump In shops (a year ago we had none), the only vapers you really see that have better setups are employees and sadly employees with much better setups than me half the time aren't so educated...I am def not a vape snob :p my point was I don't like those but I consider a difference between snobs and enthusiasts/veterans but consider myself still an idiot hahaha. but employees with better setups than me here anyway typically have t vaped half as long as I have and I honestly have only since 2013 November so not long at all. but one in particular didn't even know what a customer was talking about when she tried to explain she wanted your run of the mill disposable... I had to point it out for them. so better builds doesn't mean more educated but I know you didn't mean it offensively like that...
rambling again sorry @.@

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I've had beyond my vision spinner. people here don't seem to know much beyond gas station ecigs and if they do, sadly only ego twists and disposable ce4s LOL. so you can imagine how little is known over here which I was surprised to see vape shops open up. not offended I understand c: I've had beyond but I gave my old ones to my mum and dad before I moved back here.
I hate my spinner ): since I moved back here after leaving my others with my parents, I haven't had the money to update.
My eyes are strained and I'm exhausted so my posts today are a bit rambly and all over the place.
but seriously everyone here thinks gas station ecigs or ce4 tanks and thinks that's all there is and anything beyond it has to be the same x____x

what part of NC are you in atm??

VU Sponsors