Become a Patron!

Are we Geeks?

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So a friend of mine said, you geeky vapors do some of the craziest stuff. This really got me thinking. Have we taken it that far? I think we may have, well, hobbyist vapors. Not the average Joe with a ego to stop the cancer stick.

This and many other blogs and forums show show we are defiantly a huge and ever growing population. We've developed this massive connected community that is always out to help one another. I don't think anyone here would argue we are the newest popular subculture. So when we look at other geek groups comic books, computers, model builders and computer junkies, are we a new breed?

Any of you old timers from 3 years back and prior, did you think vaping would evolve the way it has and become what it has grown into?

I know I thought it would become more popular, but I never dreamed of a world where I can go to a smoke pit and half the people have a ecig or PV.

So to geek or not to geek, that is the question. Of course if we're geeks it is in the coolest way :) lol.

Chime in please.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If building coils, tweaking the builds, making ejuice and being able to understand a lot of what people are talking about in these forums makes me a geek, then I'm a geek! And I'm ok with that, lol.

There are far more advanced geeks, than I. They're the cool geeks.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You make some great points.

I found the forums right at the time I got my first stick batteries and I did indeed have the feeling that this was the start of something bigger.

But I am amazed in how much bigger things have gotten and so very quickly.

And I have to say I would have never imagined 100 watt + mods being available and affordable within such a short time frame.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You make some great points.

I found the forums right at the time I got my first stick batteries and I did indeed have the feeling that this was the start of something bigger.

But I am amazed in how much bigger things have gotten and so very quickly.

And I have to say I would have never imagined 100 watt + mods being available and affordable within such a short time frame.

So true. I remember Deciding to ge my first "mod" I had been using twists and digital egos for a while. I couldn't decide on a vamo or a segelei zmax. Well, it was tax time and I mud have caught the bug early. I said what the hell and ordered both. The zmax and Vamo were cutting edge, went to a whopping 15w and for the two of them after finding bargains cost about $170. The zmax was 89-99$$$ and the vamo was $60ish. Most sites were sold out. Now we can get 30+ watts for $35 and up and find it at 40 shops you can trust. It is crazy to me. I thought it would be a big thing, but even then pretty much before the first rdas, never dreamed this would end up how it did.

I'm a horror movie junkie and collect weird creepy stuff and horror stuff. I was a Goth kid for a very long time. I'm was a geek before vaping. I guess I'm a dual geek building dual coils now and I'm fine with it. Still not a hipster though, guess I'm safe lol.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The official Oxford Dictionary word of the year was vape. I think cigarette smokers are just jealous that they aren't part of the party but they need to know the doors to the party are open and they can join any time. For people, who knowingly inhale something on a daily basis that has been proven to cause cancer and lung disease, to call others "geeks" is just ironic. I suppose if you're really into manual typewriters those who are into laptop computers would seem like geeks to you.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The official Oxford Dictionary word of the year was vape. I think cigarette smokers are just jealous that they aren't part of the party but they need to know the doors to the party are open and they can join any time. For people, who knowingly inhale something on a daily basis that has been proven to cause cancer and lung disease, to call others "geeks" is just ironic. I suppose if you're really into manual typewriters those who are into laptop computers would seem like geeks to you.

This guy wasn't a smoker. He was referring to all the tinkering and slang we use, Stuff like that. Also how we have formed this kind of u spoken respect for other vapers that we may not even know. The whole tip your hat to a fellow vapor in the road kind of thing.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This guy wasn't a smoker. He was referring to all the tinkering and slang we use, Stuff like that. Also how we have formed this kind of u spoken respect for other vapers that we may not even know. The whole tip your hat to a fellow vapor in the road kind of thing.

Maybe he meant "geek" as a compliment then.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Pretty much how I took it. Geeks generally acknowledge their geekiness/nerdiness. Guy at the vape shop always says "you're nerd flag is flying", when my phone goes off - it plays R2D2 on text messages.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm a geek. I built a scale working model of a Beam engine out of erector sets when I was 10...tore apart my first computer in 1990...lol

Vaping is just another hobby that combines mechanical, electrical and even computer knowledge into something tangible, real and enjoyable. I can't afford to build computers, but i can afford to play mad scientist with DIY juice and tweak on vape gear. I like the artisan quality of making coils and hacking the hardware too.

Just look how many geek-inspired vape domains and other references there are: https://encrypted.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&q=vape geek

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I was 11 years old, I built a steam engine from a broken lawn mower engine when I was at my Grandparents farm. My Grandpa helped by providing me with the materials and showing me how to do the mathematics. Even though my Grandpa had an 8th grade education, he had me doing fluid and gas dynamics equations. He understood this type of science because he used it in repairing his farm equipment hydraulics. He also had worked as a fireman on a steam powered locomotive back in the 1920's as a young man who came over from Norway through Ellis Island with his pregnant 16 year old wife, my Grandma of course.

Am I a geek? Damn right I am.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The avi says it all ;-). I didn't take geek as an insult. Hell, the comp guy have the geek squad. I feel like the term geek has evolved onto something different over the years. Now people will say, I'm a geek what can I say. It isn't a title you would have wanted back when I was in high school, but I wasn't geeky back then anyway. Now I'm fine with it. I have a family and a good life. I'm not 32 working at taco bell, loving in my moms basement, drooling and touching my self looking at my comic books :). No offence I someone here is to each there own.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Women were geeks too.... :D

http://www.honeybadgerco.com/10501/the-expanding-universe/

Bell labs, AT&T, the early days of ARPANET...fun. I wish I'd been a bit older to be more into it, but I started late in the 80's with kit computers and BBS's.

Now, not to discount my hero Tesla, but this guy, Ken Thompson, he's the Alpha Geek.

599px-Ken_Thompson_(sitting)_and_Dennis_Ritchie_at_PDP-11_(2876612463).jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Thompson

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Everyone needs to excuse me when I show my age. ;<))

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How's this for geekery: I liked that mug, but found the post on some blog. No real luck searching, so I used tineye to do a reverse image search on it..vola...found it...on Zazzle UK..booo. Typed in .com instead and whatcha know, the sites are the same. ;)

Yeah, probably did that the hard way, but funner. :p

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How's this for geekery: I liked that mug, but found the post on some blog. No real luck searching, so I used tineye to do a reverse image search on it..vola...found it...on Zazzle UK..booo. Typed in .com instead and whatcha know, the sites are the same. ;)

Yeah, probably did that the hard way, but funner. :p
Cafe Press sells that kinda stuff, too. Lots of goofy items. I used to shop there a lot, years ago.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never heard of the term 'geek' being associated with anything other then computers. "Computer Geek"

Coils, Wattages, DIY E-Juice. Seems more of an electrician / chemist thing.

MisterBig

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Geek, enthusiast, tomatoh, tomato.

It's a lifestyle choice.

Some like the flavor, some like the aspect of no nicotine, some like blowing huge obnoxious clouds, some like it all.

If that makes me a geek, I r one.

What he said!

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like ...
Star Trek
Stargate
Starship Troopers
Battlestar Galactica
The Last Starfighter
Star 80
The Star Chamber
Star Wars
The Clone Wars
The War of the Roses
War Horse
Charlie Wilson's War
War of the Worlds
World at War
War and Peace
War Games
Lord of War
........................................................draw your own conclusions :D :D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I like ...
Star Trek
Stargate
Starship Troopers
Battlestar Galactica
The Last Starfighter
Star 80
The Star Chamber
Star Wars
The Clone Wars
The War of the Roses
War Horse
Charlie Wilson's War
War of the Worlds
World at War
War and Peace
War Games
Lord of War
........................................................draw your own conclusions :D :D
Geek
4chsmu1.gif

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like ...
Star Trek
Stargate
Starship Troopers
Battlestar Galactica
The Last Starfighter
Star 80
The Star Chamber
Star Wars
The Clone Wars
The War of the Roses
War Horse
Charlie Wilson's War
War of the Worlds
World at War
War and Peace
War Games
Lord of War

:D Every entry on your list includes either the word "star" or "war" or both. Sure you're not a nerd @moecat? :D

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Geek? Sure. Pretty low-level geekery though. :rolleyes:

One social category I would not be so comfortable with:

november-18-2014-the-oxford-english-dictionary-announced-that-its-word-of-the-year-is-vape-which-is-defined-as-to-inhale.jpg

Are we douchebags?

Last edited:

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's a definite douchebag contingent to vaping, something about it attracts a certain brand of people who behave in a certain way that could be described as 'douchey'. When I read that image, my mind immediately jumped to one of my short lived Jersey Shore lookalike roommates who had a giant chrome Vamo with one too many extension tubes on it, and when people asked him what kind of e-cig he had, he'd say "Bro, it's not an e-cig. It's a Vape." He was also cursed with a need to habitually one-up people as well.

It never ceased to be embarrassing for everyone involved, and there are so many more of him out there.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like ...
Star Trek
Stargate
Starship Troopers
Battlestar Galactica
The Last Starfighter
Star 80
The Star Chamber
Star Wars
The Clone Wars
The War of the Roses
War Horse
Charlie Wilson's War
War of the Worlds
World at War
War and Peace
War Games
Lord of War
ohmy.gif

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer to think of us as rebels instead of geeks, but there is no doubt a geek factor involved for a good number of us. We are rebelling against an industry that intentionally engineers their deadly product for maximum addiction. We are rebelling against big pharma that sells us nicotine replacement products that do not contain the other compounds that were added to cigarettes to enhance the addiction and are therefore never going to work properly. We are rebelling against federal, state, and local governments that are perfectly content to let BT and BP keep us locked into a cycle of smoking, trying to quit, starting to smoke again, trying to quit again as long as they continue to get revenue from both industries. Our rebellion is winning, and the empire knows it.

But some of ya'll ARE just getting way too geeky with the vaping tech... Ain't nothin' wrong wit dat. Geek on, dudes!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will geek the fuck out in a second over any hobby I'm remotely interested in, now if we were being called dorks though...

There's one that actually does bother me a little bit : "hobby." That's what my wife and daughter call it. Bothers me because it is true, but I have never related to the concept of hobby, having a hobby, being a hobbyist. Craft yes, hobby no. It's a minor point of vanity, I know, but I might as well confess it here. o_O

Are we hobbyists?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's one that actually does bother me a little bit : "hobby." That's what my wife and daughter call it. Bothers me because it is true, but I have never related to the concept of hobby, having a hobby, being a hobbyist. Craft yes, hobby no. It's a minor point of vanity, I know, but I might as well confess it here. o_O

Are we hobbyists?

Sure we are....once you get into the RBA/DIY stages anyways.

Do I need like a dozen atomizers and mods to vape, or even to DIY/Rebuild/etc? Nope.

It's a pastime though, one that I can actually afford (unlike computers or most other electronics), share with people and be a part of a like-minded group just like any other hobbyist would. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby

A hobby is a regular activity that is done for pleasure, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements. By continually participating in a particular hobby, one can acquire substantial skill and knowledge in that area.

Generally speaking, a person who engages in an activity solely for fun is called a 'hobbyist', whereas a 'professional' generally engages in an activity for reward and an 'amateur' (from French for "lover of") does so out of personal interest in an activity. While an amateur may be as skilled as a professional, a professional receives compensation while an amateur generally does not.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Are we hobbyists?
I believe that we fall under the same category as cigar aficionados. To that extent, yes, it is a hobby.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I don't think vaping culture shares much common ground with geek culture.

One might be tempted to say that due to all the modding/tinkering/DIY, especially...but you have that with any kind of hobby or passion. Car enthusiasts, military re-enactors, cosplayers, model railroaders, gamers, paintball, airsoft, etc. All of those are very insular groups with an almost cult-like mentality and they all have "modders" who try to squeeze more out of their gear. I wouldn't label any of those as geeks. Well, maybe the gamers.

Or, maybe I'm just in geek denial. I wear enough geek labels as it is LOL!

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
6'3, southern Alabama country fellow. Hunt, fish and drive a 4x4...

I am also into World of Warcraft, Sci-Fi, robotics, programming PLC's, use to write bits of software and trying to figure out how to make a nuclear powered mod box.

Geeks come in every flavor, size and fashion. You might be 5'2 and 100 lbs or 7 foot tall. Geek is no longer a insult, I wear it with pride.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
6'3, southern Alabama country fellow. Hunt, fish and drive a 4x4...

I am also into World of Warcraft, Sci-Fi, robotics, programming PLC's, use to write bits of software and trying to figure out how to make a nuclear powered mod box.

Geeks come in every flavor, size and fashion. You might be 5'2 and 100 lbs or 7 foot tall. Geek is no longer a insult, I wear it with pride.

Props to you Bubba Geek. ;)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think vaping culture shares much common ground with geek culture.

One might be tempted to say that due to all the modding/tinkering/DIY, especially...but you have that with any kind of hobby or passion. Car enthusiasts, military re-enactors, cosplayers, model railroaders, gamers, paintball, airsoft, etc. All of those are very insular groups with an almost cult-like mentality and they all have "modders" who try to squeeze more out of their gear. I wouldn't label any of those as geeks. Well, maybe the gamers.

Or, maybe I'm just in geek denial. I wear enough geek labels as it is LOL!

Kinda with you here. I said earlier that if we're geeks, it's pretty low level geekery. Home brew Arduino mod controllers raise the bar a bit though, literally. Bit by bit geeking it upwards with software.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lesse....I think I qualify:

P1030111.JPG

• Vaping a huge Sonic Screwdriver looking thing
  • Beard, Linux-style
  • Ponytail
  • Cardigan & Plaid shirt
  • Thick semi-busted glasses - hinge repaired with Kanthal wire
  • Last FT order is mostly parts to mod existing gear...
  • Taking a selfie in the Bathroom ...oh wait, different kind of thing there... ;-)

Ayup...

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lesse....I think I qualify:

View attachment 10014

• Vaping a huge Sonic Screwdriver looking thing
  • Beard, Linux-style
  • Ponytail
  • Cardigan & Plaid shirt
  • Thick semi-busted glasses - hinge repaired with Kanthal wire
  • Last FT order is mostly parts to mod existing gear...
  • Taking a selfie in the Bathroom ...oh wait, different kind of thing there... ;-)

Ayup...

:D Ha ha ha ha. Hilarious. BTW, is it also geeky to be self-deprecating? :D

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't been vaping long, but when I started, I did it to stop smoking.
Now that Ive seen the almost insane amount and different avenues of vaping, I do find it very tempting to get heavy into this. In particular , the bling factor. Countrypami's collection looks like the 4th of july!!
No one chooses vape life.....vapelife chooses you.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think in the vape area I'm a geek. Tue rest of my life, well not so sure. I'm not into tech stuff at all. I am a horror movie junky. I collect odd and creepy things as well as hearses and high end Halloween masks. I do not own a shirt without a skull or some horror related character on it. Even my dress shirts have skulls (makes weddings and funerals interesting). I listen to heavy metal, im 32 and I still have the same chain on my wallet from 7th grade. So I do not know where I fit lol. I am kinda a one off edition.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
your not alone lamme, Im 42 and still listen to a lot of metal bands from the eighties on up.
Favs-iron maiden, crew(shout at the devil only) of course, older metallica, eye hate god, bison b.c., mastodon, lamb, red fang, any and all sludge/doom, speed, punk. i hate radio pop.
I just geeked out about stepping up to a eleaf istick with a nautilus from clear's and ego sticks. WAITING ON VAPE MAIL!!!!!

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can't speak for others but I'm definitely a geek/nerd/whatever. I like electronics, science, science-fiction, video games, anime, Star Trek... yeah I said it.

Bplus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I added a vaping sub forum to our gaming forums a while back for all 3 of us that vape. Just a little place to show builds, and share companies with juice we like. The slang definitely had people turning their heads slightly. But it's all relative to the subject matter right?
I could ramble on about mmo stat/number crunching here and a small population would understand.

Might as well go 110% in anything you do. If that's geek, I'll stuff that in my bag with vidjagames, gardening, and horror

It has been cool to see the progression that's happened over the last two years.

VU Sponsors