Become a Patron!

Arctic Sub Ohm Tank Destroying Coils

Hi there, I'm new here so bear with me, please and thank you!

I have been vaping for about a year on and off, but have only vaped for the past 2 months. I used it to quit smoking and love it.
I upgraded from a Halo Triton (about a month ago) to an Eleaf iStick 50w, and an Artic Sub Ohm Tank.
When I first got the set up, I went almost two weeks on a coil. I was fine with how long it lasted. But ever since I replaced the coil it seems as if I can't keep it from getting burnt longer than a day or two. I'm at my wits end. I'm spending more now than I did when I was smoking. And I'm so tired of burning through coils this quick when I know they should, and can last longer.
I've also noticed a weird taste and darker build up when the coil isn't burnt, I don't know if this could help diagnose a problem.
I run about 35 watts, and it's set on 2.8 volts right now. I keep the vents completely open. And if the tank gets warm I always wait for it to cool down before using again. I've even held it in front of the A/C vents in my car. I spend a good chunk of time priming my coil, so I know it's not that.
I loved my system that first week, but now I'm getting disappointed. I've heard switching to a dual coil can help... is that true? Is it worth it?
What can I do to keep from burning coils so fast?

Oh! I've also been using clear liquid, 6mg nicotine.
But shortly after I begin vaping on my coil (about 12 to 24 hours) it starts turning a very light brown?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Were you using the 0.2 coil and now are using a 0.5 coil? If you changed it to a 0.5 coil you need to reduce the watts to 23 ~28. Somewhere around there depending on how warm you like your vape and if its a desert or fruit.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eliquid turning brown is normal, the nicotine is oxidizing with the heat of the tank and the atmosphere. FQ06 is correct, lower the wattage if you are using a .5-.6 Ohm coil. I'm running my .2 coil at 70 watts with a 70vg/30pg mix and it's doing great. With a .5 I'm at 35 Watts. How thick is your juice?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you changing flavors in the tank?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That is probably the funky taste you are experiencing. The Coils and tank retain some of the previous flavors. Stick with one flavor for a week with a new coil (saturate to coil with the same juice before installing in the base of the tank). Give the tank a good rinsing with hot water before you put the new coil in and juice it up.

Some ejuices, particularly fruit flavors don't vape well at higher wattages.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe fog juice is a high VG dripping juice (thicker) but not positive. I mix my juice at 60% VG so its not as thick as a dripper juice and works well in the arctic. I recently put some muffin man juice in it that is 80% vg and i had to give it time between pulls or it hit kind of dry.

From memory my arctic came with a 0.2 and 0.5 coil so if you have only used the supplied coils you were vaping the 0.5 where zamazam does and now have put the lower resistance coil in so maybe you actually need to push the watts higher. Watts too low shouldn't tast burnt though but try 10 lower watts and then try 10 higher watts than where you're at now to know what direction you need to go.
I suspect the juice being too thick is the issue though.

I've been using .2 for the past week or so. Don't know about my first one though.
I'll try better liquid. And I'll make sure I don't mix fluids. They were both fruity flavors, but if that's the issue then I'm over it!
I'll give it all a shot, thank you both!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you toss the old one that worked well?

It's not so much a better juice, but if that's a high VG dripper juice it just wasn't intended to be used with a tank. Out of curiosity I googled fog juice to see what ratio VG it has but didn't find anything.

I rinse my coil under the faucet for a minute and put it upside down for a day or so and grab a spare when I change flavors. Changing flavors shouldn't give a burnt taste but you are getting a blended tast of the old & new juice so I do swap coils when I swap flavors.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is probably the funky taste you are experiencing. The Coils and tank retain some of the previous flavors. Stick with one flavor for a week with a new coil (saturate to coil with the same juice before installing in the base of the tank). Give the tank a good rinsing with hot water before you put the new coil in and juice it up.

Some ejuices, particularly fruit flavors don't vape well at higher wattages.

You mentioned something there that I didn't think of. If the cotton wasn't saturated in juice before it was fired the cotton could have burned and there is no coming back from that. Coil is done.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you toss the old one that worked well?

It's not so much a better juice, but if that's a high VG dripper juice it just wasn't intended to be used with a tank. Out of curiosity I googled fog juice to see what ratio VG it has but didn't find anything.

I rinse my coil under the faucet for a minute and put it upside down for a day or so and grab a spare when I change flavors. Changing flavors shouldn't give a burnt taste but you are getting a blended tast of the old & new juice so I do swap coils when I swap flavors.
I go the other way, 1 Tank, 1 flavor. Since I have a few of em, it's all cool

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I grabbed 1 for an out & about tank, haven't used a replaceable head type tank in a few years so I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I do like it for a leak proof toper to take out with you.
But yeah if you have a couple then that's the way to go. I kind of do the same thing with my drippers, usually have 3 in rotation to vape different flavors throughout the night once I get home.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome Madison ! Zamazam has an important point. Make sure you are putting some drops of liquid on all the wicking holes and a couple down the center hole to "Wick" the coil before you put it in! Artic tank is a good tank !

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im actually surprised youre getting anything at all from 2.7v of power..If this is the case the wattage isnt too high at all..if anything its not high enough..I would venture to say the juice is gumming up to the coil because youre not really burning it off.

The arctic tank isnt a low wattage tank and using the .2 coil will require a significant more amount of power to fire it and it work like its supposed to...I find it odd you went from the kit you did straight to a heavy hitter type tank.

When you install a lower ohm coil your voltage will drop for the same amount of watts.

1.2ohm coil may show 3.7v at 10 watts where as a .2 ohm coil at 10 watts wouldnt even turn the coil red barely because the voltage has dropped way below maybe even the devices capability.

You need to be at a minimum of at least 3.7v to burn the juice off the coil and get somewhat of a hit from this tank...So you need to be much higher wattage wise...Most tend to like around 4 volts or so.

My Aspire Nautilus tank is a 1.7 ohm coil and at 12 watts im pushing 4.5v to the coil.

You might find you would like the Nautilus tank as opposed to the Arctic tank...It holds more juice...it doesnt burn through the juice anywhere near as fast and its not requiring alot of power to use it..From a cost of operation and simplicity stand point you cant go wrong with a Nautilus.

Not sure who recommended you the arctic tank but that wouldnt have been what i wouldve recommended to you at all.

Last edited:

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry Madison. Didn't see that your opening posts does say that you are priming the cols. Mike H has a good point also.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have found that with the .2 coil, 30 watts barely gets vapor, 50 watts is good, 70 watts is warm and thick vapor.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have found that with the .2 coil, 30 watts barely getsvapor, 50 watts is good, 70 watts is warm and thick vapor.
Exactly..The arctic and herakles and starre tanks are all high power tanks...The starre and herakles dont even work till over 60 watts of power...The Kanger subtank mini would be a much better choice for a subtank on a 50w or lower device...I still recommend the Nautilus unless she enjoys the huge clouds however which there is no way shes getting from 2.7v...lol

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Exactly..The arctic and herakles and starre tanks are all high power tanks...The starre and herakles dont even work till over 60 watts of power...The Kanger subtank mini would be a much better choice for a subtank on a 50w or lower device...I still recommend the Nautilus unless she enjoys the huge clouds however which there is no way shes getting from 2.7v...lol
Well, I'm running my Arctic .2 at 85 watts on my IPV4, and it's putting out thick juicy clouds. God that thing is a juice pig.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Madison Wixon ....I find it hard to think your burning your wick at 2.7v...If you burn the cotton just one time that burnt taste pretty much stays with it...If you buy m9re coils buy the .5 ohm coils and not the .2 coils...prime the coil before you install it and even then let it sit for about 5 minutes inside the tank full of juice before you use it...Move your power up untill you see the voltage showing 3.7v and then move it up from there to find the spot you like...If its too much for you and you cough or were surprised by the amount of vapor , You simply have the wrong tank for yourself...Its not a beginners tank at all.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, I'm running my Arctic .2 at 85 watts on my IPV4, and it's putting out thick juicy clouds. God that thing is a juice pig.
Ive been trying to find the single .5 coils with no luck...only fasttech so far has them..sigh..The single coils are better suited to lower wattage but still my little sigelie mini 30w may not be enough to enjoy it...lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Once i get a few single coil heads ill just build my own coils for it..they are rebuildable.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ive been trying to find the single .5 coils with no luck...only fasttech so far has them..sigh..The single coils are better suited to lower wattage but still my little sigelie mini 30w may not be enough to enjoy it...lol
Have a mech? Those .2 coils work great on mechs.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have a mech? Those .2 coils work great on mechs.
Not yet...i had a nemesis clone but no rda or subohm tank to use with it...Traded the nemesis for a kayfun...Mech and rda is something im experimenting with next ,in full.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get a copper Fuhatten. Best bang for the buck. I really like mine, hard hitter and thick copper plus a great switch.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Noted...Ty

I'd also recommend a Copper Nemesis made by Hcigar specifically....out of all my copper mech's I have that can use all three main battery sizes it has the lowest voltage loss I could measure with my little inline meter...it had even less drop than my authentic black copper stingray which really surprised me but it where all things else were equal (same battery, atty, coil build, etc...) it was always a minimum of .1 less voltage drop than my authentc BC stingray or my Stingray X clone ....I like the Fuhatten a lot, but sometimes it's nice to have options and the Nemesis has become the classic "all in one" mech...it's the only one I know that is kick compatible and has airflow and airflow control for old school carto's and clearos like a protank one or old school 510 and 306 dripping atty's

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I h
I was using whatever coil came with the tank. And am currently using a 0.2.
And I use fruit.

I am just seeing this post but think I can add something helpful
The type of juice and flavor have little to nothing to do with your issue....

Someone mentioned burning the cotton when it is new by not being soaked enough the first time used but.....
The cotton pads they use are kinda thin and if you're not paying attention when the juice is getting low, a slight dry hit at the end will scorch the cotton a bit, do this one or two more times and the cotton is toast....(literally ...lol)
And if you hit it big at that last dry hit (I was really not paying attention once) your cotton / coil is pretty much garbage.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I h

I am just seeing this post but think I can add something helpful
The type of juice and flavor have little to nothing to do with your issue....

Someone mentioned burning the cotton when it is new by not being soaked enough the first time used but.....
The cotton pads they use are kinda thin and if you're not paying attention when the juice is getting low, a slight dry hit at the end will scorch the cotton a bit, do this one or two more times and the cotton is toast....(literally ...lol)
And if you hit it big at that last dry hit (I was really not paying attention once) your cotton / coil is pretty much garbage.
Why would it make the coil garbage?

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The cotton pads are not very thick, if you Vape them dry, then the coil will roast the cotton and unless you rebuild the coil that burnt cotton taste will stay with the coil

Just pull apart a coil after and you will see what I'm talking about.... The coil burns through several layers of cotton

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I rarely change coils, just re wick...Ill dry burn them till clean.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well then you are in the minority, not many are talented enough to just change cott9n on an Arctic vertical coil.... Good for you
Its your time or your money. Spend time, learn how things work, and fix them yourself OR spend much more money replacing them.

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow that's pretty condescending... You don't know me... . I rebuild RTA, RDA, lots.... I do figure out how things work and am successful at it
Rebuilding a factory vertical coil is a bit tricky and many would agree
All I was doing was trying to help someone, this is not that other forum

Sent from my shoe phone using Tapa Toe Pro 4

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow that's pretty condescending... You don't know me... . I rebuild RTA, RDA, lots.... I do figure out how things work and am successful at it
Rebuilding a factory vertical coil is a bit tricky and many would agree
All I was doing was trying to help someone, this is not that other forum

Sent from my shoe phone using Tapa Toe Pro 4
Cool it down fella, I wasnt meaning to condescend. It wasnt pointed directly at you, even if it was in response to your post.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
awe come on guys...we're all here to have fun and help eachother...let's do just that....anyone that rebuilds knows that rebuilding aspire coils in general is a much bigger pain in the ass than Kanger's or some others...so if you have the talent to actually just rewick a BVC head without replacing it I give you major props...I don't have the kind of patience that is probably required to do so...I wind a new coil before I pull the wick out half the time depending on my mood because I know one twitch from my hand and it's over and I'll be more pissed if I am not ready for it than if I am...worse case I have ready to go coil next time I need it...it's a win win either way :)

VU Sponsors