Become a Patron!

Anyone into vintage razors?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just looking for others who would appreciate this!

Went to visit my aunt today at a flea market where she sells antiques. Wound up chatting about my recent wet shaving venture and that I was looking for some vintage razors. She grabs a baggy and hands it to me. Bam! TWO vintage Gillettes! I asked her how much she wanted and was told nothing. Here they are:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436134727.763483.jpg

A 1960 Gillette Superspeed flare tip and a Gillette Rocket flare tip. Found it funny that she had two razors that looked so similar. Cleaned them up a bit, but now I need some metal polish.

All in all, I'm a lucky dude today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used to be, but gave up on it when I stopped shaving. I had an old Gillette that looks like the top one.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice. I have a beard, but I work in food service so they make me keep it short and edged up. If I stopped shaving, it would look like I have lycanthropy.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting. I have both my Dad's razors and my Grandpa's. Grandpa used a straight razor made in Soligen Germany in 1863. Still sharp, it has a carved Ivory handle. I see if I can post a pic.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think a straight razor will be next after I master using the safety razor.
That's a great thing to have!Solingen is still where all the good stuff comes from to this day.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They were making swords, knives, and cutlery in Soligen when the Turks had taken part of Europe. Those folks in Soligen have been making sharp pointy things and cutting implements for centuries.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I stay trimmed, but use electric trimmers. It is too hot and humid here to rock the full beard, so I just keep a long goatee. I just do my face with the clippers that I trim the goatee with these days.

If I ever go back to shaving, I'll probably go vintage again. They shave better than the expensive fancy modern razors.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I totally agree. I just started wet shaving a little over a month ago and I'll never go back to that over-priced multi-blade garbage. I really dig the whole process. It's a bit meditative.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a decent Omega boar hair one and I've been using a Col. Conk sampler pack with Cremo as a pre-shave. Love it so far!

Last edited:

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thought about antique razors when I started using safety razors. Aside from being conversation pieces, are their any pluses ?
I'm never going to have the nerve for a straight razor so they are definitely out of the equation.
And to go further off topic; any good recommendations for pre shave oils?

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can only speak for the two that I have, but they both were made circa 1960 and aside from a little clean up, still ready to rock 55 years later. And if they require a little work like mine, they can be had cheaply.

I don't use pre-shave oil, but I use Cremo. Softens my beard and adds slickness to my lather.

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Non aerosol creams are the only way to go. Been using Art of Shaving and a boars hairs brush for a while and love it. Stuff doesn't travel well however. Picked up a gold plated travel razor a while back, probably 50 or more years old. Might have to dig it up and try it. One more thing for the wife to shake her head at. She might have the bling, but I have the toys.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Non aerosol creams are the only way to go. Been using Art of Shaving and a boars hairs brush for a while and love it. Stuff doesn't travel well however. Picked up a gold plated travel razor a while back, probably 50 or more years old. Might have to dig it up and try it. One more thing for the wife to shake her head at. She might have the bling, but I have the toys.
My brother loves the brush and soap, but just can't get into the safety razor. As far as travel, you could pick up some cream in a tube. Gotta be better than the aerosol stuff.

I shaved with my new (to me) Gillette Rocket with a Feather blade this morning. Outstanding!

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thought about antique razors when I started using safety razors. Aside from being conversation pieces, are their any pluses ?
I'm never going to have the nerve for a straight razor so they are definitely out of the equation.
And to go further off topic; any good recommendations for pre shave oils?

Preshave Oil: good old fashioned Coconut Oil. Cheap, available, and it works.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My brother loves the brush and soap, but just can't get into the safety razor. As far as travel, you could pick up some cream in a tube. Gotta be better than the aerosol stuff.

I shaved with my new (to me) Gillette Rocket with a Feather blade this morning. Outstanding!

Try the German Merkur double edged blades. I'm pretty sure you will like them and they are cheaper than the feather blades.

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coconut oil ? No shi_ ! Considering what Art of Shaving charges and the fact that the quality of their product has dropped markedly in the last year, I will definitely give that a try.
I'm a big fan of Mekur blades. Not only do they last longer, they clean easier. I won't knock Gellitte's, but their blades hold soap and cleaning the sharp side of a razor is not a lot of fun.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to use Gillette blued steel blades because they were cheap. I've got a really thick and tough beard, most multi blade razors are dull after 5 or 6 uses. With the Gillette blades double edged blades, I got 10 days, with the Merkur close to 13-14 days.

Ron01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been dying to try Proraso though!

dying to try it? which one? I have some green in a tub I used maybe four times I'd pif your way. it's not for me. the red on the other hand, I LOVE

-Ron

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Excellent. I'm hoping my obsession will subside for a bit, alongside my vape obsession. The wallet needs a break!

Ron01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
in my experience it's like vape stuff in that for a while you buy EVERYTHING. then as you start to find what you like, and what works for you, you'll slow down

-Ron

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I hope with this new razor I'll be good for a while. But I've been wanting to try a straight... ;)

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is my daily razor, a Merkur Futur. I love the adjustable head, I think I bought it at a Wallgreens when it first came out, think it was $30.
61nxEeo1TVL._SL1500_.jpg

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
$70? Sheese. It's a heavy razor, but perfectly balanced. I've also got a Gillette Aristocrat, my first razor. I got it when I was 9 years old in 1969 as a Bank Promotion when I opened up my first savings account with my birthday money and personal savings. At that point in time, the razor was discontinued by Gillette. I didn't have a need for a toaster they offered, but my Dad agreed that I would need the razor in the future. Look at the price tag.

il_570xN.586063667_6kkd.jpg

Last edited:

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heavy is good! Let's the razor do the work for you, right?

Too rich for my blood. I really wanted a Fatboy for the extra weight, but most of them are going for $50+ on the Bay. I'm sure the Slim will be fine in that department anyway.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg A vintage Gillette I use. Got tired of paying a fortune for blades! Got it free from a friend in the box. I believe it is late 50's but not sure.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been using an Arko Shave stick over the past week. The lather is just so freaking thick! Simply wash your face, wet the stick and get a bit of the soap into you stubble and then froth it up with a wet brush with hot water.

Arko.JPG

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been using an Arko Shave stick over the past week. The lather is just so freaking thick! Simply wash your face, wet the stick and get a bit of the soap into you stubble and then froth it up with a wet brush with hot water.

Arko.JPG
Very nice! I picked up 5 pucks of Williams Mug Soap last week after hearing they were discontinuing it for $1.19 each. Turns out, they're not.

Tough to get a good larger, but it's slick as hell. That being said, I've been using some CO Bigelow cream (Proraso) that the wife bought for me. Great uff, but it leaves a pretty thick residue on my razor and in the sink.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tallow based soaps and cremes tend to do that, but it's the tallow that gives the slickness for the shave. The Arko stick is vegetable oil based I think and it leave no residue in the sink, but a bit in the razor which can be cleaned by rinsing it in some very hot water.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh that's good to know! I noticed my Col. Conk ones didn't do that and those are glycerine based. Thanks for the tip!

VU Sponsors