Become a Patron!

Anyone in recovery?

crazy nick

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just curious if anyone else is in recovery? Im not ashamed and wouldn't change a thing. I'm very proud of who i have become working on myself. I love the fellowship. If you wanna remain anonymous just pm me. Just nice to meet others, the more support the better.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hang in there and good on you :hug:

I made 30 years clean - from things we're not supposed to talk about on the forum - last October

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Aug 14, will be 25 yrs sober - alcohol.

Sometime in July, not actually sure of the exact date, but it will be 30 yrs clean of the various powders -- I know, because I had quit all that shit a few weeks before my husband and I married, and July 20 will be our 30th anniversary, and our son will be 29 in May. It was never a really huge deal for me because once I got pregnant, I had no further desire for any of that poison, ever again -- I had everything to live for, and a little person to take care of (and I wanted NOTHING of that life or the people in it, anywhere near my son!)

And of course, July 25 will be 3 yrs smoke-free, thanks ENTIRELY to vaping, and partly to a) the forums, and b) WTA. Back in March, I had been off WTA for a year. :)

Andria

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I grew up in the peace, love, rock and roll 60s-70s so I did just about everything imaginable. Don't remember the exact date but it got to the point it was no longer fun.
I wasn't around in the 60s to 70s but the same thing happened to me. I did everything I could think of for around a decade and enjoyed it in the beginning, but by the end it turned into a nightmare (bad trips, addiction, etc.).

GBusafvet95

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After quite a few years of at least a six-pack a day, I stopped altogether.
Haven't touched any alcohol since Dec.
No "drugs" since June of '86, just before I went into the Service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Substance abuse claimed 10 years of my life. I lost custody of my 2 very young boys because of my recovery. (It's 28 yrs for me)
There is a special, "happy place" in and around each of us. Keep looking there. God grants us the serenity ~ one day at a time.

@crazy nick , If you ever need to talk to someone, we are here, vaping. I hung on to cigarettes as my last vice.
So, go grab your rig, take a few vapes and change your avatar. You've done well. You don't deserve to be hurting any more. :hug:

crazy nick

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Substance abuse claimed 10 years of my life. I lost custody of my 2 very young boys because of my recovery. (It's 28 yrs for me)
There is a special, "happy place" in and around each of us. Keep looking there. God grants us the serenity ~ one day at a time.

@crazy nick , If you ever need to talk to someone, we are here, vaping. I hung on to cigarettes as my last vice.
So, go grab your rig, take a few vapes and change your avatar. You've done well. You don't deserve to be hurting any more. :hug:
Thank you Ms. Trixy , 6 months clean Yesterday, getting my keytag tomorrow at my homegroup and my sponsor finally letting me start the first step. So excited

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
CONGRATULATIONS ON 6 MONTHS!!!
As most of us know, it's quite the journey. But with each step you become stronger; no matter how difficult and heartbreaking it is for you.
Just know that you completed the step and you will feel such a weight lifted off of your shoulders. And, be proud of yourself.
You're stronger than you think. Remember that.

Last edited:

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
– Grats on your sobriety!
– Thank you Whiskey!

I hadn't planned on cleaning tea off my screen this evening, yet here I am, wiping away…

Jasonrecio

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Change your avatar?? Maybe that's what Nick's into.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
BTW congrats on 6 months ,it's hard but it's totally worth it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you Ms. Trixy , 6 months clean Yesterday, getting my keytag tomorrow at my homegroup and my sponsor finally letting me start the first step. So excited

Umm... the first step was realizing and admitting that you have a problem that you can't handle on your own. You started that step 6 months ago! :D

The first three kept me sober for more than 5 yrs... And friends swore up and down that I was completely different person in every possible way, after I'd been sober just 6 months or so. Just being honest enough to admit the problem makes a HUGE difference!!

Andria

DIYjim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Over eight years without drinking here. Beer/booze/drugs were causing MAJOR negative consequences in my life. My experience was this: I finally realized that I had TRULY had enough; quitting was rather easy once I reached that point. It is much easier to live without drinking, and I am enjoying life like I had never enjoyed it before. Freedom. :) {going on 4 years without smoking cigarettes, too};)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Over eight years without drinking here. Beer/booze/drugs were causing MAJOR negative consequences in my life. My experience was this: I finally realized that I had TRULY had enough; quitting was rather easy once I reached that point. It is much easier to live without drinking, and I am enjoying life like I had never enjoyed it before. Freedom. :) {going on 4 years without smoking cigarettes, too};)

I felt relief, at first... when you stop beating your head against the wall of "I can handle it", it feels GOOD. But I can't say it was easy. I had to fight with myself about it pretty much constantly, pretty much the whole first year. Up till about 10 yrs in, I had the occasional spell of having to take out my entire collection of chips, which I kept on a keychain, and go thru them like freaking rosary beads or something. Between 10-20 yrs, I didn't really think much about it. But when I lost my mom in October... I had to hit my first meeting in quite a few years; the lure of chemical numbness seemed entirely too attractive. It helped, reminding me of the struggles of 30, 60, 90 days, or the first year. I stayed sober, which I'm sure would have pleased my mom.

Andria

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I listened to this many times.

Beaucoup

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's good Nick. Glad you're back. I have some history with alcohol and am doing well. Don't think we've met.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I messed my back up in the last few weeks I was in the Army. The VA docs kept refilling my pain killer prescriptions, then one fateful night I took a Hot Shower after putting on a Fentanyl Pain Patch. I was lucky my wife knew the symptoms of an OD. The Fentanyl absorbed into my blood stream all at once. Two weeks later I was taken by my Doc to a methadone clinic. I was shocked, dopers and people dressed in suits were getting their fix on Methadone. Thankfully, I'm off that shit too. It took a lot of pain and perseverance, but I made it.

15 years without the fucking Poppy. I am happy I managed to get clean.

it takes more than yourself, it takes family.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cool thread! I'm just going to throw it all out there in one post. I started AA in 2010, in and out for years. Longest sobriety for me was 17 months. Sober now since September 2, bad summer for me. Got married drunk, got an anullment sober. Slept in my car several nights, a tent a few other nights. Man the Arkansas heat and mosquitoes on a summer night are totally incredible.

Also have a history of using pretty much any drug offered to me, but alcohol was the hardest on me (easiest to get, and use, alone, probably).

I left AA for something else, I had worked the steps with sponsors more than once, but I was missing the most important thing I needed...Faith and Love. I got those now.

Also recovering from major depression, and anxiety (gone now, both), and no thoughts about drinking, drugs, videogames, sex, all that stuff that bent me out of shape by me obsessing on them. I thank God for that.

Peace!

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You made it, you did it!. keep it up, the mornings get better from here forward. get out of your situation and move east.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I messed my back up in the last few weeks I was in the Army. The VA docs kept refilling my pain killer prescriptions, then one fateful night I took a Hot Shower after putting on a Fentanyl Pain Patch. I was lucky my wife knew the symptoms of an OD. The Fentanyl absorbed into my blood stream all at once. Two weeks later I was taken by my Doc to a methadone clinic. I was shocked, dopers and people dressed in suits were getting their fix on Methadone. Thankfully, I'm off that shit too. It took a lot of pain and perseverance, but I made it.

15 years without the fucking Poppy. I am happy I managed to get clean.

it takes more than yourself, it takes family.

I was in a similar type situation... well not really, no army or back issues but my doctor was my dealer. I've had an auto immune disorder my whole life and at some point things got bad and I was unable to do practically anything because of pain. Then my doc sent me to a pain management clinic and I was put on loads of pain killers, gabapetin / lyrica and Valium. For the first few years it truly was life changing. I pretty much got my life back.

Of course, that didn't last and soon I couldn't do anything without my meds. Before long I wound up worse off than I was before the meds so 9 months ago I said "fuck it" and gave it all up. It certainly was not easy, the first few months were pure hell. Between the physical illness (from withdrawal and my condition) and depression/lethargy, I thought I'd never get through it. Eventually I did and it was worth it.

I never went through any sort of program and outside my family and a few very close friends, no one knew I went through any of this. Do what ever you need to do. I'm no expert on quitting but I can tell you that whatever you go through will be worth it in the end.

VU Sponsors