Become a Patron!

Anyone else here on Alendronic acid? Advice if you can please

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. You by now should know my real story, after I wrote my story, of my past.

Unfortunately, my past caused my bodies pituatary gland to stop secreting the hormone testosterone, which is the one that make a man a man. As you can imagine, with levels of 4 Nmol/L (The lowest is 8, highest is 28, I should be quite naturally high as I am only 25, but I had half the amount of a geriatric)

I am now on hormone replacements, one called Sustanon 250 that I get injected every 3-4 weeks, depending on my blood results a few days before the second 4 weekly injection, they may then decide to switch to 3 weekly, as that is the standard for hormone treatment in men. I think where I am young, and also my other problem, which I am about to explain, is why they are weary of giving me the steroids to make my levels normal.

Due to the lack of testosterone, I have been left with quite severe osteoporosis.

This has led to me being prescribed alendronic acid. I took it, as instructed, sitting up for at least 30 minutes before moving (you can noy lay or anything on this medication, as it will damage the oesophagus if it hangs around in it for too long)

Now, 5 days after starting treatment I began to feel unwell. This continues for 3 more days, until I realise I need to see a DR.

I have both a throat infection, and a chest infection.

Now, I do not know if this is coincidence, but usually antibiotics start making you feel better. This is around the 4th day on them, and I feel worse than ever.

I am leaving off the Alendronic acid, untill I am better. It is probably a coincidence, but I do know they give biophosphates like alendronic acid to bone cancer sufferers, so the side effects are quite nasty. Things such as Hair loss, spontaneous fracture of the femur, and my favourite, spontaneous necrossis of the Jawbone.

That is the side effect I am scared of. If your jawbone went necrotic (Means dead) they would have to remove it, and I would probably be known locally as "that bloke with half a face" lol.

So, anyone else who is on this medication, could you share how it is going for you?

I just want to hear some positive stories really instead of negative, then I probably can put it as coincidence, and when I am better continue taking it. I only have to take it for 2-3 years to help strengthen my bones, but they say they never will be 100%. It is lucky I found out, as I was seriously considering starting to skateboard again, and with the lumbar region in my spine being the weakest place in my body, I could well have broken my spine.

The best thing the DR said to me was "Make sure you don't get into any accidents, you will break your back".

I thought thank you DR, I will bare that in mind next time I plan my car crashes.

Iunderstand the side effects I mention are rare, less than 1 in 100, but still scary knowing I may lose my hair, or worse, half my face.

VU Sponsors