Become a Patron!

Anybody else grossed out by Diacetyl?

acidrain23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Health risks aside, is anyone else repulsed by the taste? I used to love some creamy vapes when i started, but now they are mostly barf worthy to me. Like sweaty socks or something. Blah! I'm considering binning about 50% of my TFA collection (vanilla cupcake, french vanilla, toasted marshmallow, butterscotch, etc.). I think its also possible I'm regrowing some tastebuds finally which is a plus.

I tried FA Vienna Cream too which everyone seems to rave about, but maybe butyric acid isn't my jam either. Doh! I do have some vanillin which I'm experimenting with...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny you should bring this up! When I started vaping almost a year ago I had a thing for custards. Sometime last spring I found, like you, that all I got from them was barf! But, just last week I've rediscovered them, but only on a 0.3ohm coil (or lower) doing lung hits, not my normal 0.8 doing mtl hits!

I never did get that taste from FA Vienna Cream though - but I don't think I've ever used it over 2% - maybe that's the issue?

Now I'm sad I got rid of all those flavors you're talking about, because I'm thinking I have to order them again:eek:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, maybe I'll just create a retired flavor box for now. I guess you never know what will come in handy!

I've been playing around with Caps Vanilla Custard V1 and V2. I'm not kidding - a couple of weeks ago I thought it was disgusting LOL

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love custards and vanillas on low ohm high heat vapes. On higher ohm builds I like the sharper flavors.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't vape any creams or custards for about 6 months, maybe more. No problem now. A retired box is a good idea, I got rid of mine and wish I hadn't.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hmm, maybe I'll just create a retired flavor box for now. I guess you never know what will come in handy!
Wish I'd thought that out recently. Gave a bunch away that I need for a few recipes. Live and learn!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I consume diacetyl every time I go to the movie theatre. TASTY STUFF THAT!

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree in that I can detect the diacetyl really easy. First by the taste then I feel like I am going to throw up . Caps custard is the worst followed by certain TFA vanilla. I cannot vape any Suicide Bunny or Five Pawns with out that sick feeling. It's funny because it does the same thing to my daughter so it makes you wonder if genetics plays into it .

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree in that I can detect the diacetyl really easy. First by the taste then I feel like I am going to throw up . Caps custard is the worst followed by certain TFA vanilla. I cannot vape any Suicide Bunny or Five Pawns with out that sick feeling. It's funny because it does the same thing to my daughter so it makes you wonder if genetics plays into it .
Interesting observation that!

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you entirely sure its DIACETYL you are tasting? What I mean is, does anyone here own a spectrometer or sent their liquids to a lab to prove its presence?

acidrain23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As a beer brewer its something you learn to taste- its considered an off flavor in brewing so you try to minimize its production. Probably why I am so sensitive to it. To me, that buttery popcorn flavor is unmistakable. Maybe it would be difficult to distinguish between diacetyl itself and its substitutes, but this one leaps out at me. It may not be readily aparent to others though.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Eating it and inhaling it are two totally different things.

Not as much as you'd think. Much of our perception of taste comes from our noses. That buttery popcorn smell is going into your lungs at the movie theater.

VU Sponsors