Become a Patron!

any reason I should use nichrome over any other wires?

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a friend gave me a few feet of nichrome 80 24g, I did a quick build with it a few weeks ago and it honestly tasted terrible. so I pushed it to the side and have been trying to find a reason to give it another try. of course I primarily use kanthal but I have experience with Gplat and royal wire too, how does this stuff stack up against some of the more popular designer wires?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
a friend gave me a few feet of nichrome 80 24g, I did a quick build with it a few weeks ago and it honestly tasted terrible. so I pushed it to the side and have been trying to find a reason to give it another try. of course I primarily use kanthal but I have experience with Gplat and royal wire too, how does this stuff stack up against some of the more popular designer wires?
It was a early contender back when rebuilding was in it's infancy. As time has gone on, I'm hearing less and less about it. Last I heard it was "wire of certain lung implosion", but naturally, there was no supporting data...not unlike Gplat.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i use both nichrome and kanthal. not much of a difference between the two, but the are some. nichrome takes longer to heat up and cool down and it runs 1 gauge hotter than like gauge of kanthal. so 24g nichrome for example is equivalent to 23g kanthal. i taste no difference between the two. nichrome is less springy for me than kanthal is. once i compress a nichrome coil, that fucker dont budge. zero need for tweezer-squeeze maintenance for me. a lot of times kanthal can have stubborn gaps for me, especially on the first wrap. but in the end, the two are incredibly similar.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
i use both nichrome and kanthal. not much of a difference between the two, but the are some. nichrome takes longer to heat up and cool down and it runs 1 gauge hotter than like gauge of kanthal. so 24g nichrome for example is equivalent to 23g kanthal. i taste no difference between the two. nichrome is less springy for me than kanthal is. once i compress a nichrome coil, that fucker dont budge. zero need for tweezer-squeeze maintenance for me. a lot of times kanthal can have stubborn gaps for me, especially on the first wrap. but in the end, the two are incredibly similar.

Have you tried heating your Kanthal before wrapping it into a coil?

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried heating your Kanthal before wrapping it into a coil?

yes. i torch it before wrapping. i dont have a jig though. once i get one of those im sure itll help. but for now the tiny gaps dont really irk me.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After a ton of experimentation i'm convinced the small gaps provide just as good of a vape if not better , more contact with the wick .

Its all the same:rolleyes:

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It all comes from kenthal but renamed for money purposes
They have different amounts of different metals in them, some are lower in resistance and some propably higher. Royal wires for example is very low resistance.

VU Sponsors