Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Wotofo Serpent Elevate RTA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Wotofo Serpent Elevate RTA. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Wotofo Serpent Elevate RTA is the latest RTA from very popular vape company Wotofo. They don’t really need much of an introduction these days as everyone knows who they are but their most popular products this year are probably the recurve RDA and profile RDA. Wotofo to me as always been a bit hit and miss. I really liked the recurve RDA and the profile was good for a mesh RDA and even their faris RDTA was a good RDTA at a time when not many of those are released but they always seem to have some stinkers too like the warrior RDA so let's see where this one winds up. The Elevate RTA is the latest in a long line of serpent atomizers and is designed in collaboration with popular vape reviewer SMM (suck my mod) like a few of their past atomizers as well like the serpent SMM. It’s a 24mm diameter single coil RTA with a top airflow channeled down to the sides and bottom. It’s available in 6 colors Black, Rainbow, Gunmetal, Gold, Blue, and SS. Looking around online I see it runs around 20-35 USD price range with lots of sites to by from. Elementvape has them in the US for 29.95 all colors in stock

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Collaboration between Wotofo and Suck My Mod
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 3.5mL Standard Juice Capacity
  • 4.5mL Bubble Glass Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Elevated Postless, Four Terminals Build Deck
  • Side-Secured via Hex Screws - 1.5mm by 2mm Terminals
  • German PEEK Insulator
  • Single or Dual Coil Configuration
  • Dual Slotted Top Airflow - Knurled Control Ring - 11mm by 2mm Slots
  • Top Airflow Vents Underneath and Side of Coil
  • Decorative Snakeskin Knurling Pattern
  • 9mm 810 Resin Widebore Drip Tip
  • 810 Frosted Widebore Drip Tip
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • Detachable Structure
  • Gold-Plated 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 Serpent Elevate RTA
  • 1 Coil Trimming Tool
  • 1 Frosted 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 1 Bubble Glass
  • 2 0.33ohm Framed Staple Clapton Coil - rated for 45-55W
  • 1 Pack of 3mm Agleted Cotton Strips
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 User Manual
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RTA i seen it followed the popular single coil top air design we’ve seen a lot in 2018 with the solomon 2, horus, and intake plus the original zeus from late in 2017 so the competition was pretty stiff but in the same sense i knew to curb my expectations as these style RTAs usually lack a bit in flavor with the intake being the best of the bunch so i was hoping it could be a competitor to the intake as another option. Mine came with a smokey plastic bubble tank and matching tip but they emailed me and said the tank will be glass in the release version so not sure what to think about that but i did like the smokey plastic one and matching tip so decided to roll with that for the looks and capacity.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty standard postless deck which is a personal favorite of mine but which also means you have to precut your leads. It’s pretty much the same deck as the recurve RDA. Mine came with the same metal bar tool as the recurve however Wotofo said the release version will come with an actual coil lead measuring tool like we see from vandy vape in the style. Based on the pics from their site it appears they claim 5mm leads. I think 5mm is a little too high as if you use a big 4mm ID coil it can short on the top depending on your wire, I suggest 4mm leads max. 4mm is also the largest ID really for it but i recommend going smaller with a 3mm ID which is where i found this to work best with 4mm leads. It also gets it in a better position to help with flavor that way. The use of the tool though included makes it really easy to get your coils built and ready to install. Like the recurve you have 4 post holes even though it’s single coil so you can wrap your coil either way and have it still fit easy, the Issue i ran into though as you can see in the pic in the album is after wrapping and going to install my first coil i found 1 of the post screws would not tighten all the way and even my thick fancy wire would slip right out. So i just threw out that coil and wrap a new coil the opposite direction to use. After using other screws and different holes I found the issue was with that 1 post screw only so in future builds i threw out the bad screw and replaced it in the hole to allow be to wrap clockwise like i usually do. Really annoying to see these quality issues on post screws from a company that has been around so long and something i’ve pointed out with lots of their products. They need to improve their quality. The screws are hex grub head screws which are my favorite but i can’t call them good quality due to the 1 that was bad but the other 3 seem good enough. The post screws come in from the side so flat wire leads won’t be twisted when installing and it works great for flat and round wire coils with no issues. Overall a nice easy to build on deck and with the guides and my advice beginners should be able to built it well my only complain with the deck was the 1 bad post screw.

Wicking on this one is super easy. It’s a slightly raised style deck so no JFC (Juice flow control) which we see very often these days as it just works. The wick holes are quite large but don’t overstuff them and just drop them to the bottom through the holes so they just touch the bottom only. It’s not a very efficient wicker so you really want to go thin on your wicks so you don’t get vaporlock but other than that tip really easy to wick.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a single coil RTA as intended. No way to really build a dual coil on this if you wanted to for some reason anyway. I ran 4 builds in it. 3 fancy builds at 3mm-4mm ID and one simple round build at 3mm ID. It’s DTL for sure but not super airy. I consider it slightly restrictive DTL vape somewhere between the horus/solomon 2 which i consider more airy and the intake which i consider more restrictive. Performance was a big let down even for a top airflow RTA it’s noticeably behind the horus and solomon 2 and way behind the intake performance wise. Flavor is very muted. Not a good performer at all sadly even for top airflow.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a top to bottom/side airflow RTA with 2 large air holes equally spaced apart that you can adjust from the outside. The AFC is nice and smooth and on a stopper. It’s easily adjustable on or off mod and has some design for grip. Very well done. The air is quite loud and turbulent as well not very smooth at all but no whistle on any setting. It gets a little more quiet with the air half closed off.

The top fill is your standard screw off the top fill which is my favorite kind and there are 2 good size fill holes to sue any bottle type. The issue is you do need to fill it slowly especially with the regular glass as the chamber takes up a lot of room so you have to let the juice move around a bit and fill in spurts. It’s not as bad with the bubble tank though but they should have had more clearance between the chamber and the fill ports making it slightly taller but would have improved the filling. Small oversight in my opinion

There is a good amount of accessories that come with it, mine came with a standard 810 resin friction fit drip tip (colors varies depending on color choice) and a smokey tinted 810 tip (not labeled but i assume wither PMMA or PC) and an a delrin 510 tip adapter, 2 tips plus an adapter is good in my book and I really like the smokey tip. The drip tip fits nice. Not too snug but not too loose and you can use any of your own tips 810 and 510. Mine came with 2 tanks as well, a standard 3.5ml glass tank and a bubble 4.5ml plastic tank (likely PC or PMMA) but they say that both tanks will be glass in the final version. My glass one felt pretty cheap though and cheap glass that breaks easily has been an issue for wotofo on several of their RTAs most common with their bravo RTA so maybe it would have been good to keep the more durable plastic one? The Wotofo Serpent Elevate RTA also includes plenty of extra o-rings, 4 spare post screws (all flat head grub), 1 allen wrench, 1 screwdriver and 2 coils with 2 cottons came in mine. The coils are clearly labeled which is great as well. They are ni80 framed staple clapton coils 28+38x9+28+36 3mm ID 5 Wraps .33 ohms each power range 40-55 watts Excellent job at labeling the coils! Mine didn’t have a coil clipping tool per se just the metal bar one like the recurve came with however the final version should come with a real coil cutting tool that apparently they will mark at 5mm which could be ok depending on your coil ID size but i would have preferred it marked at 4mm. Not a big deal there though

The quality on the Elevate RTA is sadly as usual a mixed bag. The AFC is really nice and the threading for the top fill is good however some texture or knurling on the top cap would have made it easier to unscrew however the post screw quality could be better since 1 out of my 4 was unusable that were pre-installed. The glass tank fees cheap as well. The bottom you need to unscrew to build also is really thin and smooth. It really needed texture or knurling and mine came stuck from the factory that required the use of tools to get open for me. You can see a small scratch i put on it while doing that but after that it came off easier but still really needed a bigger bottom that had knurling for more grip. As it stands it’s harder to take apart then it should be.

The coloring on the Silver i received is nice and not shiny. The pictures make it look a little shiny on their site but it’s really a matte silver which i like. It’s a 24mm diameter RTA that only bulges out with the 4.5ml bubble glass so it shouldn’t overhang most mods. The 3.5 ml capacity is ok for a single coil RTA but i really like it with the 4.5ml capacity which is really good for a single coil RTA. There is no JFC and it doesn't need one. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping really good as well as long as you wick very thin. Branding is nice and simple. Just a Vandy Vape logo and the serpent logo on the chamber visible through the glass like most RTAs

Pros:
  • 2 Standard 810 Drip Tips and a 510 adapter included
  • Bubble tank included (mine is plastic but the retail should be glass according to wotofo)
  • plenty of spare o-rings and 4 spare post screws
  • nice smooth AFC
  • Simple screw off top fill design
  • easy to wick
  • 4.5ml capacity with bubble tank is really good
  • easy to build
  • included coils clearly labeled and cotton included
  • included coil lead cutting tool (according to wotofo not in my package)
  • color options (6 total)
Cons:
  • Flavor is really lacking
  • Filling can be slow going
  • Build quality issues (1 dead post screw, cheap feeling glass)
  • lacks texture/knurling on top cap and bottom base making it hard to take apart
  • loud airflow and not smooth
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean heavy towards the no. It’s not like top airflow sets the world on fire for performance of flavor but this can’t even come close to the intake and is still behind the horus and solomon 2 as well. In short there are just much better options already out plus add in the quality issues as well and i can’t see any reason to throw money at this one and i sure can’t put my name on it personally. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Wotofo

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Have to say I'm getting very good flavor from the elevate. Went back to a 3mm multi wire coil and have the wicks just tucked into the port with a healthy shoulder.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Have to say I'm getting very good flavor from the elevate. Went back to a 3mm multi wire coil and have the wicks just tucked into the port with a healthy shoulder.
to each their own :) doens't live up to my standards personally even graded on a curve being top airflow.

VU Sponsors