Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Vandy Vape Paradox RDA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Vandy Vape Paradox RDA, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Paradox RDA is the latest RDAs from popular vape manufacturer Vandy Vape. They came onto the scene in 2017 with a ton of gear and have been a pretty hyped company ever since so probably don’t need no introduction. They’ve had a pretty good year IMO but have had some missteps along the way as well but their recent kylin II RTA was excellent so at minimum should have a strong finish to 2018. The paradox is a single coil restricted DTL RDA with an included squonk pin. It’s designed in collaboration with fix_RB reviews who i don’t know who that is but looking it up appears to be a russian youtube reviewer with a pretty good size following. It’s available in 2 colors SS, and Matte Black. Looking around online i see it around the 30 USD price range so typical price point for a VV atomizer.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Length:23.5mm
  • Diameter:24mm
  • Capacity:1.5ml
  • G.W(included Package):105g
  • Annular Airflow
  • Top Dome Form Bell
Included in box:
  • 1 Paradox RDA
  • 1 ACCESSORY Bag
  • 1 User Manual
  • 1 510 Drip Tip
  • 1 PEI Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Adapter
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RDA i was pretty impressed with the design of it. It’s not new or groundbreaking and pretty similar to a lot of single coil RDAs we’ve seen like the Mjölnir, flave, wasp nano, C4 etc in that it’s a single coil RDA with a similar deck design and a side airflow that goes through the posts. Still it’s a proven design that works well so i was curious to how it’ll stack up to the others.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty basic 2 post deck. Coil leads will need to go opposite ways when wrapping like most decks this style. The main difference in this one compared to many (save for the flave RDA) is that instead of having post holes or post cutouts you use the head of the post screws to trap your leads to the deck. Normally not a big fan of that as that style has mostly died off save for a few stragglers (hastur mini and flave come to mind recently) but in this case the screw heads are simple massive so it makes it pretty easy to do. You just unscrew them a little, slide your coil leads in, then tighten down. Very simple and easy to build on. Not anything innovative but pretty similar to the design to my own Mjlölnir RDA because it just works and is easy to do. Also since it’s a top down it won’t twist leads on your flat wire like all of these style and plenty of room for some wide wires. The post screws are some nice massive good quality flat head screws and it comes with 2 spares so nicely done there. My only complaint on the deck which is a major issue however is the negative is not milled but instead screwed in. Now mind you it’s not the first one and won’t be the last one and not an issue on it’s own design wise (but is a dealbreaker for some) however this one caused some issues for me. The negative post doesn't stay in place well even when fully tightened down. You have to be really careful because when you screw down the negative post it can move and touch the wall of the juice well causing resistance to be jumpy. There is very little clearance there so you need to be really careful when building. I had to use a screwdriver to keep the negative in place when installing my coil. Not sure if anyone else pointed this out. Overall an excellent build deck that is really easy to build on even for beginners, outside of the issues with the negative post which killed it sadly. They should have milled it or put in a notch system to keep it in place.

Wicking on it is quite easy. It’s an RDA so nothing fancy just drop your leads to the bottom.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Single Coil RDA only as intended. I ran 4 builds in this a fancy 3mm ID build, a fancy 3.5 mm ID build, a fancy 4mm ID build and 1 simple round 4mm ID build. For size I found it worked well with all those sizes and as many wraps as you can fit comfortably in it. I’d say 3-3.5mm ID is the ideal. The flavor is great one of the better single coil RDAs for sure and even worked great with the simple round wire. Overall a very good single coil RDA flavorwise.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. It has side airflow with 2 small holes on each side. That’s the basic part of it. Their unique part is each hole instead of going right into the chamber through the post like most, they go around a circle in a curve. I mean it’s different, i wouldn’t call it innovative or improved by any means but as i said in the performance section it still works great overall. You can also adjust it by closing off 1 hole but it doesn't make much of a difference. It’s best used just fully wide open where it’s still a restrictive DTL vape. It’s easy to adjust as well just by spinning the whole top cap. The top cap o-rings are good and it’s easy to pop off and on with no issues. It’s also on a stopper so it lines up the air correctly for you and makes it easy to screw on or off a mod. The top cap also does a good job of not getting hot as well.

It comes with 3 standard drip tips, one is a delrin friction fit 810 tip one is an ultiem friction fit 810 tip, and 1 is a delrin 510 o-ring tip so well done there overall but personally I would have liked something other then 2 delrin tips but that’s just personal preference and obviously since they include a 510 tip there is a 510 adapter as well. The Drip tips all fit very well in the RDA. snug, not loose, not tight. You can use your own as well and most should work just fine. The quality on the Vandy Vape Paradox RDA is excellent. The o-rings for the top cap onto the base feel right and the top cap is snug but not tight. Very easy to take apart with no issues. The AFC is easy to adjust but doesn't really need to be adjusted. The post screws are excellent quality as well and 2 spare screws are included. It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin like most RDAs these days as well.

The juice well is a good size. Not massive but pretty large. Pretty similar to that of the C4 RDA but not as big as the Mjölnir RDA. The over squonk protection and Over drip protection is pretty good. The side airflow is high enough up that it doesn't cause any issues leaking when dripping or squonking. I used it as both a dripper and a squonker and it worked well both ways. As a dripper you can drip right down the drip tip without taking off the top cap.

It’s a 24mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods on the market today. There is plenty of spare o-rings and 2 spare post screws for it, 1 allen wrench, 1 screwdrivers, and a 510 tip adapter and 2 coils, no cotton however. good amount of accessories overall but some cotton, would have been nice but no big deal. The coils are also clearly labeled so well done there. Branding is pretty nice on it. It just has a paradox logo engraved in the side. it doesn't stand out too much as it matches the color of the RDA and looks nice so well done there.

Pros:
  • 2 Standard 810 Drip Tips (ultem and delrin)
  • 51- delrin tip and adapter
  • standard 510 pin and squonk pin included
  • plenty of spare o-rings
  • Color Options (3)
  • great quality flat head post screws
  • Good over squonk protection
  • works well as a dripper or squonker
  • great flavor
  • simple looks and branding
  • great easy to use build deck
  • good build quality
  • Price point (under 30 USD)
  • included coils and clearly labeled
Cons:
  • AFC doesn't offer any meaningful adjustment.
  • Juice well is a little on the small side
  • negative post isn’t as secure as it should be causing resistance issues
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one was headed towards a yes until the issue with the negative post arrived. Without that issue It’s in my top 3 for single coil RDAs this year along with the Mjölnir RDA and the Asmodus C4 RDA. I think it’s a little behind those 2 but not by much and not in a large or very noticeable way. The negative post is an issue however that ruined this RDA for me sadly. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vandy Vape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors