Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Eleaf Pico 21700 Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Eleaf Pico 21700 mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Eleaf Pico 21700 Mod is a new mod in the long line of the popular pico series. It keeps the same unique shape of the original pico’s but made a little larger to accommodate the ability to take 21700 batteries for better battery life. Although they don’t state it, it does take 20700 batteries as well, and 18650 batteries can be used via the included adapter. The mod is available in 6 colors silver, brushed silver, grey, black, hot pink and greenery. All 6 have SS on the top, bottom, and battery cap.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Size: 51mm x 26mm x 77mm
  • Battery Type: 21700/18650(AVB 21700 battery included)
  • Maximum Charging Current: 2A
  • Thread Type: 510 thread
  • Output Wattage: 1-100W
  • Output Voltage: 0.5-9V
  • Output Mode: VW/Bypass/TC(Ni/Ti/SS/TCR)
  • Resistance Range: 0.05-1.5ohm(TC modes), 0.1-3.5ohm(Bypass mode)
  • Threaded Top Battery Cover
  • 0.91" OLED Display Screen
  • 3 Button Controlled Interface
  • Micro USB Charging Port
  • 510 Stainless Steel Threading
  • Gold Plated Contact
Included in box:
  • 1 x Eleaf iStick Pico 21700 Vape MOD
  • 1 x QC USB Cable
  • 1 x User Manual
  • 1 x 21700 Battery (4000mAh) (avatar controls)
  • 1 x 18650 Battery Adapter
Picture Album (includes spreadsheet and chart)
https://imgur.com/a/vxle1aj

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod, i felt like it lived up to the namesake pico. They went back to the original layout of the pico with the single metal body away from the design of the pico 25 which had a plastic piece in the middle, and essentially took the original pico design and made it large enough to accomodate a 21700 battery. Also it can handle a 25mm atomizer without overhang. It’s a solid little mod with no button rattle or anything. The screen is a standard “dna 75” sized screen with a similar layout just like most picos. Nothing impressive and a bit outdated IMO for these days. It offers all your basic modes (power, temp for SS, Ni, Ti, and TCR (3 memory modes) and bypass) Overall what i expected from a Pico

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .14, .19, and .47 ohms. wattage points were max (100), 80, 60, 40, and 20. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 91 watts and 29 amps (max setting allowed was 99 watts due to 30 amp limit programmed in chip). For the rest of the testing it low 3-7 watts. At .14 it maxed out at 97 watts. The rest of the tests it on point to 4 watts weak. For the .19 test it maxed out at 98 watts. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 1 watt. For the .47 testing it maxed out at 106 watts and 7.048 volts. The rest of the testing it was on point to 5 watts high. The volts shows there is a boost circuit like most single battery mods.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was decent. At under .15 ohms it tends to hit a few watts weak (roughly about 5-10% of set wattage). The most amps i got was 29 which is pretty average for a single battery mod, most are around 30 these days minimum. They don’t list a max amps but 30 is programme din the chip and feels like an accurate number. They don’t list a max volts but this does have a boost circuit. I got 7.048 with a .47 ohm coil so i was limited by the watt limit there (106 watts) and would have needed to use a higher resistance to get higher with the volts, but for single battery mods 6+ is all you really need and proof of a boost circuit and this has both. It is also accurately rated since I did get 100+ watts with it, and it was pretty close to that 100 number at .14 and above.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good. Really accurate at the .19 ohm test. Hits weak at .14 or lower tests. Hits hard at the .48 test a little. Accurately rated, has boost circuit, average amp limit of 30.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire with the SS mode, I tested 4 builds a single round spaced, a dual round spaced, and 2 fancy single coils. With that said i’ll keep it short and sweet, no good at all. Most of the time I got kicked out of TC mode back to watts mode. Even before I was kicked output was very inconsistent to even talk about settings for it. It’s an easy fail for me.

Other Usage Notes
The mod has the typical pico shape to it. It’s solid metal but pretty lightweight. The battery cap threading is ok. Not great but not bad. There are no designs or anything on it. It’s a very plain mod which some may love and others not so much. It can handle 25mm atomizers without overhang. There is no button rattle on this mod at all. The screen is on the small side and it’s the same as the DNA75 screens. Feels a little outdated for these days but gets the job done. It’s also a little on the dim side. The fire button is a rounded rectangle and smooth and clicky and a good size that protrudes out quite a bit. The adjustment buttons like all the pico’s are on the bottom of the mod. I’m not a fan of that personally.

Usage is simple. 5 clicks on and off. 3 clicks to enter menu. Adjustment buttons to scroll. Fire and plus goes into the sub menu where you can do things like set the preheat or turn logos on or off or see battery voltage. Plus and minus locks the adjustment buttons

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Simple looks
  • color options
  • handles 25mm atomizers
  • Small Size
  • takes 21700, 20700, or 18650 battery
  • no button rattle, solid built
  • price point (under 40 bucks without battery on some sites)
Cons:
  • feels outdated
  • temp control performance
  • bottom adjustment buttons
  • small screen compared to most mods out now
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do the hard yes or no, this one is going to lean a little towards the yes as a power driver but a hard no as a temp control mod. If you are a fan of the original pico (which many are) and don’t mind a slightly bigger version with better battery life then that’s exactly what you are getting. I’ll add it to my sheet as a single battery mod since it does take 21700 and not many good ones out there for that currently.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from eleaf

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors